Sharp lower back "twinges"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm looking for a little reassurance that this is normal --

The last few days, sometimes when I bend over to pick something or shift in my chair at work, I get a sharp sensation in the right-side of my lower back. I don't feel like it's a muscle pull, it more feels like a nerve firing. It feels very deep within, too (not close to the surface of the skin). It lasts only a second, but it's very strong. Could this just be due to everything shifting around inside, uterus getting bigger, etc? Sorry for the vague description -- I'm having a hard time trying to describe what I'm feeling.

TIA -- I'm a first timer, so I tend to overthink every ache and pain.
#2 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 PM

sounds like sciatic nerve pain- totally normal.
i get it in every pregnancy. i can sympathize.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#3 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Sciatic nerve pain would be my first guess, but it's just a guess. Not at all uncommon in pregnancy though.

ETA: LOL a cross-posted second opinion and a consensus. That's gotta be an MDC first

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#4 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Not happy to feel it, but happy to hear it's pretty normal
#5 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 PM

blah for the normal aches and pains of pregnancy!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#6 of 10 Old 10-16-2009, 03:57 AM

Eh, I used to get those all the time! There seriously suck because went you bend and hit that "sweet spot" lol you are like immobile and have to move slowly before your next move :S The problem is either posture or the way you are bending dont bend or lift with you back instead use your legs to bend and lift or have someone get it for you lol

:March 14th 2010
#7 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 AM

Marymamabunny: that's so totally accurate!

And yes, this is something I got with just about EVERY pg. It was the worst with my last two which I think was mostly because I'm getting older and my body just isn't in the kind of shape it was in before.

However, this time around, I've been spared so far. I still think I'll get it, but I was exercising regularly before I got pg and was probably in the best shape in my life (excluding the years prior to my first pg when I was just 19 and a college athlete). So far, things have been pretty good.

Definitely don't bend at the waist! With my last pg, there were times where it was acting up and when I walked, my leg would just buckle. That was kinda scary.

I don't know what you can do to minimize it. A dr I saw recommended pain killers -

I didn't take that "advice" from him, but heard that cat stretches are supposed to be helpful.

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#8 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieM View Post
I don't know what you can do to minimize it. A dr I saw recommended pain killers -
Find a good chiropractor. Preferably one who works in conjunction with a good massage therapist.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#9 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoto2 View Post
Find a good chiropractor. Preferably one who works in conjunction with a good massage therapist.
Now that's the type of thing I wished my dr would have told me.

I tried ONE chiro last time that worked with pg women. They are pretty hard to find here. Is it like that everywhere?

There's this old Japanese man DH and his dad see when they get body pains (pulled muscles, sore shoulders etc). I wonder if he knows how to deal with pg women...hmmm. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#10 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 AM

Honestly, I just looked on my insurance website and called chiros who were in network and in proximity to my home. I asked about their experience working with pg women, what they would do to treat me in their office (just adjustments or other things like massage, teaching me stretches to do between visits, etc.) and I asked if they had tables with drop down middles that would allow me to lay on my stomach with a pg belly-I figured if they did it supported the notion that they worked with pregnancy fairly often and I'd be more comfortable during my treatments.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page