Another "name thoughts" post! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ladies - DH and I are struggling with a name for this kiddo! Last night after many weeks of chatting and perusing baby books and websites, I think I/we came up with one for each gender I'm pretty happy with (we won't find out gender until birth). But, I want your comments - please, be brutal!! We've plenty of time to change things. So try to think of reasons why the kid would hate having these names, and whether they would be made fun of!

Our DD is named Cecelia. We call her both Cece and Celia.

For this next baby, my personal favorites are:

Girl: Margaret Mary. Call her Maisie. I can't get over how cute that NN is. (Incidentally, MIL's name is Margaret, she goes by Peggy; my mom's name is Mary)

Boy: Martin James. Call him Marty. James is DH's name. Marty just sounds good and all-american to me. Marty McFly

Still trying to sell DH, who is stuck on Charles and call him Chaz (which I hate, though I love Charlie). He doesn't dislike Martin, just not crazy about it. I also like that the root of Martin is the Roman God Mars, who was the God of War, as my brother is currently deployed in Iraq so it might honor him somewhat.

Dunno. Like I said, we're totally lost!

Thoughts appreciated

~ Gina

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#2 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM

My overall opinion of names is if you love them go with them! I think both sounds great with your DD's name.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM

I do like them a lot and I think Maisie is a cute nickname, except for that nagging voice in the back of my mind that has Horton Hatches the Egg memorized....you know, the egg's runaway mother was "Lazy Mayzie."

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#4 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. That is how I generally feel about them too - if you like them, go for them. We were dead-set on Celia's name so that was easy. It's weird to sort of be on the fence about things, though I think just living with them for awhile will cement them (or not) in our heads.

I think I'm just kind of excited to have possible names, and we don't tell anyone in real life, so I'm happy to just share and have your thoughts on them!!

Both names are not so great with rhymes -- lazy, crazy maisie, and farty marty

Sigh. If only I could've sold DH on Millicent/Millie and Elliot!! It's so hard when you need to have TWO people agree!

#5 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 01:12 PM

I love both! Go with it!!
#6 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM

I love Margaret, and Maisie is such a sweet nickname! I will say that my sister's middle name is Margaret and she hates it. She thinks it's frumpy and old-ladyish. I don't really agree though, I think she just feels that way because it's also our grandmother's name (who also goes by Peggy). I think Maisie would be really sweet on a little girl and is definitely not old ladyish.

Martin isn't really my style, but there's nothing at all wrong with it, it's just not one I'd use personally. Mostly I think because it wouldn't sound good with my last name. I prefer Charles (and would have it on my list actually if I didn't have an adult neighbour who I don't particularly like by that name). But, I can't see any reason your child wouldn't like or be able to live with either name. Kids can find rhymes and/or tease about many names, and if they really want to tease someone they'll find something regardless of the name. And really, kids aren't that bad anyway. I can't remember anyone ever getting teased for a name in school.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#7 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Maisie is DARLING. Very fun.
Kids will come up with things to tease about and I always thought that if they were teasing me about my name at least they weren't finding things about me physically (glasses,etc.) that would hurt more.

Mom to  DS (7), DD (5), DS (3), and stork-boy.gif in 8/2013

#8 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM

I *love* Margaret. I know an adorable 2 year old named that and it is one of the few names that doesn't bore me. It has so many potential nicknames too, if she doesn't like Maisie she can always choose something else. Here are other Margaret nicknames:
PEG
PEGGY
MAGGIE
MAGO
MARGO
MAY
DAISY
MADGE
MIDGE
MAISIE
MARGIE
MEGGIE
MEG
GRETA

Personally I like Madge. But DH won't agree. If you're going with Margaret Mary you better be Catholic though, it would be pretty hard for a non-Catholic to pull off a name like that! I know an adult Mary Margaret who goes by Mame.

Martin wouldn't be my personal choice, but again, it doesn't bore me! I would love to meet a little Martin. I think you have great taste in names! DO NOT let your DH name him Chaz, where is the vomit smiley when you need it? It sounds either 80s New England prep-school or drunk and disorderly English footballer. Not good.

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#9 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrat View Post
DO NOT let your DH name him Chaz, where is the vomit smiley when you need it? It sounds either 80s New England prep-school or drunk and disorderly English footballer. Not good.
Oh I wanted to add that although I do personally prefer Charles over Martin, I agree with this. I've never heard of the nickname Chaz but I'd take Marty over Chaz any day.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#10 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 05:43 PM

I like the nickname for sure (Maisie) but I don't really like the first name so much. Butttt...I'm also one who tends to go for unusual names and old fashioned names I just don't tend to like. But I'm admitting that straight out, so you can pretty much ignore my opinion there. Oh and the names go well together and its cute that she'd have both grandma's names.

Martin is ok, I personally prefer Charlie over it though. Charlie is such a cute name! NOT CHAZ THOUGH!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#11 of 16 Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM

I love the name Margret and the NN Maisie too. I think it would go well with Cecelia too.

My initial reaction to Martin was: a pause, huh..., and then picturing a little boy named Martin and it seemed very cute... I like Martin a lot better than I like Marty though. And I am in agreement about no Chaz.

I also wouldn't worry about them being teased~ I think they either will be teased or not, and the name won't change that.

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#12 of 16 Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 PM

I love Margaret Mary but hate Maisie. It's just not attractive to my ears. My favorite nicknames for Margaret are Molly (which by the way is a derivitive of both Margaret and Mary ), Maggie and Meg.

Martin James is very handsome.

And don't worry about teasing. If kids don't make fun of the kids name, they'll find something else.

Mama of three.

#13 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments! It truly is helpful to read them. And I agree that kids will find something to make fun of regardless, so if the name is relatively normal its pretty safe.

I really feel like Martin/Marty is the kind of name that just grows on you and is ... nice. Ya know? Unfortunately DH is still unsure of it. He's stuck on Jameson right now which is cute but a little too "modern" for me. We may just end up going with James (DH's name). Maybe the kid will cut us a break and be a girl

Thanks also for the comments on Maisie! I am still addicted to the cuteness factor, but we had a little hiccup this weekend. My SIL adopted a dog and her name is Maggie! They live in Georgia and I know it's not the same, but of course I was like ... ugh ... when I heard. Oh well. The same thing happened during my first pregnancy when we were considering Rosemary and my cousin got a dog and named her Rosie. (Is it bad that we like names that are apparently popular dog names?!)

After all this we may be back to the drawing board but we'll see! I'm glad we still have 20 more weeks or so to decide. I think we may end up going in with a short list and figuring it out after the birth!

#14 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do love your name choices I adore Margaret (it's dd3s middle name and I'm almost bummed we already used it because I think it would be a great first name!)! I think Maisie is sweet too (and know a Macy.. quite close).

I love the name Martin!! But... our last name is that plus "son" on the end, so to name a boy Martin would be cruel, IMO I love Charles, but Chaz isn't my favorite. I love, love, LOVE Charlie!! It's so sweet, IMO

Names are so tricky sometimes! It's quite a big decision! But, it all works out

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#15 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Margaret is cute. Maisie is a great nickname. I love Maggie as well.

Charles is a good name. Although, Chaz- I don't like it I'd go for Charlie

Martin, I'm not a fan of but if you like it and it means something to you, go for it

Judybean is right, names are a big decision! I'm hoping that my baby will tell me his/her's in a dream and make it easy on me

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#16 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM

Of course go with what you both like, but since you asked for brutal honesty,

I'd take charles over Martin. My husband suggested Martin too, and to me it is a really nerdy name, I could never use it. Chaz sounds like a soap opera name.

Also I wouldn't name a child one name with the intent to actually call them a nick name, I am just not a nick name person at all and generally pick names that have no nick names.

I really like masie, its great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page