Making herbal tea taste better... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, most moms like herbal tea. I on the other hand, HATE it. Bleck. I've tried adding sugar or honey, milk, etc, and I just can't get it to where I like it.

I'm looking for other idea's to maybe make it more palatable to a weirdo like myself. The only kind of tea I like is Chai tea. I wonder if maybe I could make a small amount of herbal tea-an infusion of sorts-and then mix it in with the chai, but then I don't know how strong the herbs would taste and if that would turn my chai into some horrible nasty drink of ick.

Btw, I'm planning on drinking red raspberry leaf, nettle, uhh...I forget what else. You know, all those *pregnancy* herbs.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#2 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 AM

I like the taste of RRL and nettle, so I'm probably not the right person to answer this. I liked adding spearamint. It's got a pretty strong, overpowering flavor so if you like the mintiness then that might help. If you prefer something lemony, lemon balm is another alternative. I drank most of mine as iced tea. I also made iced tea lemonade with my pregnancy tea every once and a while (my last two were late summer babies. Does it show?)

My pregnancy tea brew (when I get around to buying the herbs) includes alfalfa and I can't remember what else in addition to the RRL and nettle.
#3 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 11:04 AM

I don't like it either. And you know what? You really don't need to drink it if you don't like it. Isn't pregnancy full of enough unpleasantness? Supplements can be beneficial, but I am of the opinion that the best thing you can do is eat a really healthy diet. Still, if you're interested in those supplements, I've heard you can take them in pill form. Someone else would have to answer if that can work just as well.

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#4 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM

good idea to try the herbs in other forms! I'd suggest tinctures rather than pills, as they stay more effective in that form. You just squirt whatever the appropriate dose is into water or orange juice and down it fast.
#5 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 AM

There are herbal chai teas. . . a bit of nettle might mix into that okay (I find it milder tasting than RRL).

Something I do for dd (who likes tea a lot but won't drink a whole cup) is we keep it cold in the fridge and I'll mix it with juice and stuff for her. Lemonade sounds good too - mixing into warm apple cider might be good also.
#6 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 AM

I mixed RRL tea with pink lemonade, much improved over just RRL for me.
#7 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 PM

I love the taste of rrl and nettle straight up, but maybe adding a little fruit juice would jazz it up for you!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#8 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 01:09 PM

I looked up recipes for chai tea, you can make just about any tea into chai! Add star anise, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns (I like my chai spicy), nutmeg, etc whatever chai seasonings you love and make your heabal tea viola you've got herbal chai!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#9 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 01:36 PM

I'm not a huge herbal tea lover, but I've been trying for years since I can't drink coffee anymore. I am enjoying Aviva Jill Romm's pregnancy tea recipe:

Nourishment Tea
2 parts red raspberry leaf
2 parts nettle
1 part oatstraw
1/2 part alfalfa
1/2 part rose hips
1/4 part red clover
1/4 part spearmint leaf

The spearmint gives it a nice minty flavor that nearly masks the others. I find it inoffensive and even pleasant!
#10 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have tried to love tea for years and I cannot. I think it smells amazing and I try and psych myself up for the first sip and it always makes me gag.

Lately I've been using it as the liquid base for smoothies. It makes all the difference in the world for me! I cold-brew it in the fridge and then I just shake it up and pour it into the blender, I make enough for several smoothies. I don't even strain it, maybe I should, but I figure the leaves are just some extra greens
#11 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas! I like the idea of mixing fruit juice or possibly mixing it with chai (or making my own chai...I'm a faithful Oregon Chai drinker though, lol).

Making smoothies would be awesome butttt I don't have a blender. My ex took that. I may be able to get one when fiance starts work though, I'll have to see.

I know supplements aren't necessary, but I've decided to get back on the bandwagon since I didn't take any teas/supplements with my last one and ended up with HELLP and a preemie. I'm not saying that's why at all, but I do find it odd that he's the only one I didn't take any supps with and then that happened. Anyway, I figure even if it doesn't help, it won't hurt and theres always that chance that it will make a difference.

#12 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 PM

i always just load up the sugar and honey (i know i know) and chill it in the refrigerator till its cold. cold tea tastes better to me than hot. i dont drink anything BUT herbal tea (im lds), so i dont know about other teas, but iced herbal tea is the best to me.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#13 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 PM

I can mask the woodsiest strongest earthiest tasting of teas with a dash of stevia powder. My son will drink up a glass of liver tonic tea like its soda with stevia.

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#14 of 14 Old 10-25-2009, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ooo....you're my neighbor! I live in Bothell. Can I try your stevia some day instead of buying it and finding out I hate it?! LOL

I'm going to try lemonaide first I think. If that doesn't work, I'll try chai, though I don't want to overdo it on the black tea. If that doesn't work...I guess I'll just down it like I used to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page