Measuring 2 weeks bigger... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've measured 2 weeks bigger this whole pg so far and starting to wonder what that actually means? I am 200% positive of my conception date (a one time deal), so that's not it...what else can it be? 2 u/s showed that baby was right on with the March 24th due date, so??? Yet, I'm still getting myself all worried that baby will be huge or something. Does it mean I'll birth 2 weeks early? Any ideas/stories/exp? Sorry if these are silly questions, it's just that with my other pg's I always measured right on the week I was at...
Thanks!!
#2 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm not sure what it means but I feel like I'm measuring bigger too. I'm going to the Dr. today, so I'll ask when I'm there I'll let you know what she says.

jog.gifkid.gif

#3 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick&jonmom View Post
I've measured 2 weeks bigger this whole pg so far and starting to wonder what that actually means? I am 200% positive of my conception date (a one time deal), so that's not it...what else can it be? 2 u/s showed that baby was right on with the March 24th due date, so??? Yet, I'm still getting myself all worried that baby will be huge or something. Does it mean I'll birth 2 weeks early? Any ideas/stories/exp? Sorry if these are silly questions, it's just that with my other pg's I always measured right on the week I was at...
Thanks!!
Every woman carries differently and fundal height isn't always the best indicator of fetal size.
I have been measuring about 10 weeks bigger since 24 weeks and did the same with my last 2 pregnancies as well. I know there is only one baby in there and if this baby follows my last two, will be somewhere between 7.5-8.5 lbs.
Your body knows what size baby to grow that is perfect for you. Try not to worry. It doesn't sound abnormal to me at all.

Laura ~ Mom to K, R, M, C & coming in March '10~ Midwife to Many
#4 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 PM

I measured a couple of weeks ahead for most of my third pregnancy, and he was my tiniest at only 6lbs 5oz, born at term. So it doesn't necessarily mean anything. It could be bowel distension or any number of things. Right now I'm measuring a week ahead, but on the scan she's right at average.

mama of Alex 10, Aeron 8, Niky 2
And now Anneliese Elena Rose 11 March 2010!
#5 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM

With my first two pregnancys I measured at least 2 weeks larger the whole time. Some weeks it was more like 5 weeks larger. My dd came at 40wks4days and was 7lbs 6oz and my ds came 40wks6days at 7lbs 8oz. Both were long, but so were dh and I.

This is actually the first pregnancy I've ever measured right on and it has me a little worried

Mama of three.

#6 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM

we all grow babies a little differently and carry them different... don't worry much on it.

I was either behind or caught up and just 1 week ahead at birth and dd was 10lbs (great homebirth with no tearing either!). Baby's position can also start to affect measurements and when baby drops as well.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#7 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM

I've actually been measuring small with this babe #4 pretty much the whole time.... but he/she has mostly been lying transverse across my abdomen often

With my other three I think I measured mostly right on? and they were all around 9 lbs. But that was just right for me

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#8 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM

I measure 2 weeks ahead
#9 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I never knew there could be such a huge variation...makes you wonder why they even measure to begin with?! I suppose this baby could be long and that's why the bigger measurement...my ds's were both 21 1/2 inches, so?? I'm so glad that a lot of you have had larger measurements with smaller babies, makes me a feel a bit relieved; however, I will just trust my body and my baby and if she's 'big' then so be it! I'm a wimp though, only have had a 7lb 5oz and 7lb 3oz babe, though they did have large heads, or so I was told! I can do this!! Thanks so much!!!
#10 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Yeah, as long as you're within +/- 2cm of the weeks you are, measurements are considered normal, so really, you're not even measuring big.

Even if someone is measuring more or less than 2cm of the weeks they're in, there are so many reasons for it: baby's position, uterus, placental location, mom's build. There are so many variations, which is why fundal height alone is not a good indicator of much, except maybe the need for an u/s if it's really far off.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#11 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
Yeah, as long as you're within +/- 2cm of the weeks you are, measurements are considered normal, so really, you're not even measuring big.

Even if someone is measuring more or less than 2cm of the weeks they're in, there are so many reasons for it: baby's position, uterus, placental location, mom's build. There are so many variations, which is why fundal height alone is not a good indicator of much, except maybe the need for an u/s if it's really far off.

Thank you Charmie981! No more worrying for me then, and that's final!!
#12 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM

This was really helpful for me to read.. I've been measuring a week ahead, and my 20 week ultrasound revealed that she was developed 5 days ahead. I didn't know what any of it meant.

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#13 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 PM

It's not a worry.

It can be you have a little extra fluid in there, or it could be the babys position. It even could be extra room if you have had several other children before.

I'm 28-29 weeks and measuring 31 weeks myself. It's not a cause for concern. It doesn't mean you will have a bigger baby or anything like that.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#14 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

So glad all of you know this stuff!!!
#15 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 AM

I've always measured ahead and I've had bigger babies, *but* my biggest baby was also my easiest delivery, so don't worry about measuring ahead and how that will affect labor/delivery!

And so far, measuring ahead hasn't been a factor of my delivery dates, either. The 2 who measured the most ahead were actually both overdue and the one who was born 10days early was my 2nd biggest.

You just never know with these little ones...they like to change it up every time to keep us on our toes!! LOL

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page