how to stop contractions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm 31 weeks and have an irritable uterus. i've been pregnant three times prior to this pregnancy two of those times i've been high risk due to preterm labor. last pregnancy i didn't go into the hospital because i wanted a birth without an iv or meds/pain killers. which i finally got anyway, i would like to do the same this pregnancy. i do not want to go into the hospital unless it is time to have the baby. which hopefully will not be until at least 38w. i'm wondering are there any foods that help relax your uterus... anything would help. i've tried water and laying down but unfortunatly because of the irritable uterus as soon as my bladder fills i get a contraction. today i'm having some false labor, which is still very uncomfortable... but thankfully it's nothing to rush to the hospital for. so please any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#2 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e123vg View Post
i'm 31 weeks and have an irritable uterus. i've been pregnant three times prior to this pregnancy two of those times i've been high risk due to preterm labor. last pregnancy i didn't go into the hospital because i wanted a birth without an iv or meds/pain killers. which i finally got anyway, i would like to do the same this pregnancy. i do not want to go into the hospital unless it is time to have the baby. which hopefully will not be until at least 38w. i'm wondering are there any foods that help relax your uterus... anything would help. i've tried water and laying down but unfortunatly because of the irritable uterus as soon as my bladder fills i get a contraction. today i'm having some false labor, which is still very uncomfortable... but thankfully it's nothing to rush to the hospital for. so please any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks
I have been experiencing the same thing as soon as my bladder is full. It is crazy!
Do you know if the cx are making cervical change? If they aren't, then I wouldn't worry too much about them. Keep hydrated and empty your bladder often.
I have used benedryl, organic red wine and a herbal formula called Carry On with my clients with great success.

Laura ~ Mom to K, R, M, C & coming in March '10~ Midwife to Many
#3 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 PM

I would definitely try a glass of wine.
#4 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM

I have the same problem. I have to restrict my exercise, keep my bladder completely empty ALL the time (hard with a toddler, I know) and drink about two gallons of water a day. My contractions don't cause cervical changes that I know of, but they are so frequent when I don't take care of myself, and they are WAY painful. I might try red wine, it makes me very nervous though.

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
#5 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

yes, no matter if it's false labor or not my cervix dilates. hopefully i wont be past three cm tomorrow at my appt or they might just keep me in the hospital until delivery i'll try the glass of wine tonight. if i get to come home tomorrow i'll try the other options if the wine doesn't help. thanks, and any more advice is welcomed.

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#6 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
i've tried water and laying down but unfortunatly because of the irritable uterus as soon as my bladder fills i get a contraction. today i'm having some false labor, which is still very uncomfortable... but thankfully it's nothing to rush to the hospital for. so please any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks
Are they BH or regular contractions? I was getting a ton of BH, and my midwife said to drink a gallon of water per day because I was dehydrated. That was A LOT of water, and I did get contractions if my bladder filled for a couple of days, but after my body got caught up on hydration they went away.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#7 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM

I had a ton of cxns with dd, including a preterm labor scare at 33 weeks - cxns every 5 minutes for days, but with NO dilation whatsoever - she was born at 42 weeks. My midwife this time (different one than with dd) said it has to do with adrenalin and body pH. Sure enough, when I don't get my adrenal support, I get stressed out over nothing, irritated at everything, and contractions every 5 minutes again. Otherwise, it's just a few per day, concentrated when I have a full bladder or am tired. Or when dd is climbing all over me

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#8 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
yes, no matter if it's false labor or not my cervix dilates.
If you're having cervical change, it's not false labor. I've also had clients who used Carry On with success. Restricted activity may help, too. If you have a hospital provider, can they not give you meds to stop the contractions? I know they're miserable, but not as miserable as having a baby in the NICU would be, probably.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think hypnobabies has a track available to avoid preterm labor...

Yeah, here it is: http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058 Scroll down to the "baby stay IN" track It's $15 or so.

After my experience w/hypnobabies, this is where I'd go if water wasn't working... and I haven't even labored with it yet, but I've been impressed with the basic pain relief I get from everyday stuff.

I Hypnobabies.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM

just to chime in...I'm another one in the same boat. Cx's are not causing changes to the cervix but are mainly just annoying. Red wine once in awhile definitely helps although my hubby is skeptical. Also, frequent trips to the bathroom and tons of water. I don't know of any particular foods but generally just taking it easy helps and deep breathing also! Just take it easy!!
#11 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I think hypnobabies has a track available to avoid preterm labor...

Yeah, here it is: http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058 Scroll down to the "baby stay IN" track It's $15 or so.

After my experience w/hypnobabies, this is where I'd go if water wasn't working... and I haven't even labored with it yet, but I've been impressed with the basic pain relief I get from everyday stuff.

I Hypnobabies.

I love hypnobabies too
#12 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM

I'm crashing the club!

I have irritable uterus with cervical changes (not this pregnancy so far thank goodness but my previous ones). My midwife suggested crampbark, lots of rest and water, red wine, warm baths.

This time around I have added in a liquid cal/mag supplement and so far so good at 25 weeks.

Hang in there!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page