Babies are to DYE for!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I don't know if I just got tired of sewing up new clothes or just needed a change of pace (it's hard sewing up girly clothes *and* boyish clothes and knowing some won't be used).... so, I busted out my dharma procion dyes and got to work on the plain white onesies/shirts I'd gotten ages ago (and plan to get more of... just because they're fun!)...

I had a blast and now I'm pretty sure that NOTHING that's white in this house is safe

I'm 33 weeks as of yesterday, so I still have plenty of time left to dye up some more fun and funky clothing for this little baking babe whose gender is unknown to us

First, the group shot: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ybeano/t-1.jpg

I think this just might be my favorite, but I have a thing for magenta and orange: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ybeano/t-1.jpg

The blues/greens are so soothing, while the lap tee is so bold! http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ybeano/td6.jpg

I had a great time trying out different folding and tieing techniques on the different pieces of clothing http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ybeano/td5.jpg

and more... http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ybeano/td4.jpg

and MORE! http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ybeano/td3.jpg

And then, these socks are the teeniest, tiniest socks ever and they're soooooooo sweet!! They totally make me swoon!!! http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ybeano/td7.jpg

Now I just need more onesies/shirts/socks/etc and I'll get to work some more... and I plan on making up some more solid colored pants to go with these

Thanks for looking!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what I'm planning on doing with the plain white lap tees we have! They all look soooo pretty!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 AM

This is what happens when crunchy moms start nesting! Those are great. I like that idea!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Very cute!

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Very cute stuff!! I have 2 little onesies and one little shirt that is tie dyed. I got them before i found out what the sex of my baby was. I love the tie dye. It is something different and can be worn by both sexes!!!

Michelle and Bill w/: Newton,our yorkie + 11yo DS, Mark, and on 2/10/10 ...Elinor!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Those look great! I love to tie dye! When Finn was born, I made matching tie-dyed shirts for all 3 kids. I'm getting pretty good at bulls-eyes and swirls now!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Dangit, now I'm going to have to bust out the dye again this weekend. I went on a yarn dying kick last weekend and made a huge mess I need to overdye one skein anyway so I guess I'll do this at the same time. I have a bunch of organic onesies left from ds that are dingy at the neck, perfect for dying.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM

So, so cute and funky!
I wanna do some of these. What kind of dye did you use?

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

great! love the colorways!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
So, so cute and funky!
I wanna do some of these. What kind of dye did you use?
I used procion dyes from http://www.dharmatrading.com .. I actually found an old kit I'd ordered long ago (the Teeny Tiny Tie Dye Kit) even though I have bigger tubs of the dye already... so I used the little kit... I still have plenty of dye left, so I need to use it up!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 01-09-2010, 02:14 AM

Very cute!

Mom to  DS (8), DD (6), DS (4), DS (1),and baby#5 05/2015
Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 PM

OH I looooove them!! I have a ton of white onesies I plan on embellishing with cute fabric scraps and dye. You inspire me to do some tie dye too!

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 AM

Way DDC but omg...your thread inspired me to take the dive and do the Kool Aid dye I've been eyeballing for a while. I just finished an 8 ounce skein in four different colors and it's so pretty! I can't wait to more for this little girl! SO FUN!

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 AM

They look sooooo cute!!!

Has anyone ever tie dyed cloth diapers? Or would that not work because you have to bleach them from time to time?

jog.gifkid.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDirections View Post
They look sooooo cute!!!

Has anyone ever tie dyed cloth diapers? Or would that not work because you have to bleach them from time to time?
I've dyed a lot of prefolds... and I've dyed some cotton velour and bamboo velour before sewing them into diapers

But I've never bleached my diapers. In theory, if you use good dyes (from what I hear, the Rit dye doesn't hold up as well), the dye BECOMES part of the fabric, instead of just resting on top and fading over time. So it shouldn't be any different than using fabrics on diapers where the fabric is already dyed.

I've had some prefolds in rotation since dd2 and they've seen a LOT of washes (from diapering days and lately for cleaning up spills) and I dyed them a LONG time ago and they're still as vibrant as ever

Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Gorgeous, mama!!!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13

User Tag List