Well, we just pulled DD out of preschool... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Long story, but it wasn't the best place for her to be right now. So, now she's home all day (today was the first day). This is going to make the transition of adding another baby a wee bit more difficult than I had anticipated. Although, it does free up a good chunk of $$ every month (about $400) so we can actually afford to buy a car that will fit the 5 of us *before* we're done paying the midwife Part of me is thrilled that I don't have to worry about this school situation anymore and our monthly situation is loosened up... and part of me is TERRIFIED of how this is gonna go down after baby comes

Gah... so, yeah, just had to share my stress change. I feel like celebrating, but also am scared. It's a really really strange feeling.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
You can do it!!!

I totally get how changes like that are terrifying yet quite exciting all at the same time (um, kinda like having a baby...lol)! I'm in the process of quitting my beloved, beloved job (part-time barista... I don't *want* to quit, but it's something I have to do , so it's sad but good at the same time!)... crazy life changes!!

I hope the transition for your dd being home and for the family dynamic goes as smoothly as possible!!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#3 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's funny how school and childcare situations can stress you out and you don't really realize it til once you've changed locations/providers.

and i'm right there with you-- i am pulling my son out of his daycare when i am on maternity leave. will be nice to have lots of time with him but extremely daunting. i'm more concerned about taking care of his needs than i am of taking care of a new baby.

[FONT="Verdana"]Kate, mom to S(6/07) and Y(3/10)
#4 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 AM

Good luck to you! I'm sure it will be fun.
#5 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 AM

When we pulled our oldest out of K and our 2nd out of preschool to start homeschooling I had a 9mos. old. It actually made things a lot *less* stressful, since I wasn't waking him up to go pick up the other kids from his nap, I didn't have to manage 2 other peoples schedules that were different from his, etc.

We've homeschooled since that time and have added another babe through there (and now soon to be another 1) and I still think it's easier to keep everyone home than have to make sure they are someplace by a certain time etc....

Just to encourage you that it might be easier than you think. Oh...and if she's 4, she'll be old enough to want to step into the "little mommy" role and want to help with the new babe. I can't tell you how many times my little ones have begged to help with their new sibling and I was more than happy to let them bring me a diaper, or sit with them by the bouncy seat while I fixed dinner, or entertain them in some way while I was with another child (or needed to go to the bathroom!) It'll be fine, mama!!!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#6 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM

I know it seems really daunting, but I think you will do great. I took my older boy out of first grade about two weeks into it b/c it just wasn't working out. I was *so* stressed from the school! Like other posters have noted, I didn't realize how bad it was until he was home. Even though I was in the worst times of the hyperemesis, it was *still* better than having him in school.

Are you planning to home school? In some ways, I sometimes think I am a little crazy, but mostly I feel grateful that all my children will be a big part of this special time in our lives. I also I am in a little bit of denial, I think!

Good luck to you. I think you are going to be really happy that you followed your instincts. Plus -- a better car!!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#7 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's funny - we had planned to just keep the kids home and homeschool from the start. That's what we wanted (I have a MS in Educational Studies and my times observing in the public schools did *not* make me want to send my kids there) from the start. But after Oliver was born, life was pretty wonderful for the first 6 months, until he stopped sleeping and started crawling then soon after walking and Sophia started biting him frequently... and then Oliver stopped sleeping worth a darn so I was supremely sleep deprived... and I entered what I call my "hormonal hatred haze" but I assume it was some form of PPD. It was a really hard year before we found the preschool situation that we were ok with.

Anyway I was not dealing as well with Sophia as I wish I had and I basically feel like I dropped the ball. We heard about a small montessori school in the area and decided it'd be worthwhile to send her to give her something to do that's *hers* and give her social time that I couldn't give her, and I also like the montessori method. I mean, she did really well there (she's very bright) and is now reading and such, but there's problems with the "school" (it's only run by one woman who in our view has questionable judgement on common sense issues), so that's why we took her out.

So, I mean, homeschooling had basically been the plan all along, but now I'm terrified that I will go through the same hormonal hatred haze and drop the ball again... And I'm really bad about getting myself organized lately, so I guess we'll see how things go. Technically, DD only *just* turned 4 so we could wait a couple years before we have to report to the schools and such, I think.

I dunno. Last night I was saying to Dh that I feel like we should go out to dinner to celebrate or something But yeah, the "unknown" in the equation is sorta making me nervous, I guess.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#8 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM

We're homeschoolers Mine are almost 6 and newly 3, but neither has ever attended school. I honestly think it is easier to have them at home with a newborn in the house.

When DD was a newborn, DS dropped his nap (he was just over 3). We instituted some "quiet time" around DD's afternoon nap, which was a sanity saver for me. He enjoyed listening to books on CD while playing in his room.

DD is no longer napping now (which makes for an earlier bedtime, which has been ) and I'm hoping to move her toward some "quiet time" on her own in the afternoons before long.

I wouldn't worry about starting up anything formal or "schooly" at this point at all. Don't put that extra stress on yourself...she'll be learning so much anyway.

I assume we'll be doing very little "schooly" stuff (we lean toward the USing end of the spectrum anyway) with a newbie in the house, and that's fine with me We'll snuggle on the couch and read while I nurse, etc.
#9 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Kudos on doing what feels best for right now! If things get icky again then you always have the option to send them back to preschool or a mother's day out type program just so you can recover. Then when things settle you can get back to what you wanted to do!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#10 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie View Post
We're homeschoolers Mine are almost 6 and newly 3, but neither has ever attended school. I honestly think it is easier to have them at home with a newborn in the house.

When DD was a newborn, DS dropped his nap (he was just over 3). We instituted some "quiet time" around DD's afternoon nap, which was a sanity saver for me. He enjoyed listening to books on CD while playing in his room.

DD is no longer napping now (which makes for an earlier bedtime, which has been ) and I'm hoping to move her toward some "quiet time" on her own in the afternoons before long.

I wouldn't worry about starting up anything formal or "schooly" at this point at all. Don't put that extra stress on yourself...she'll be learning so much anyway.

I assume we'll be doing very little "schooly" stuff (we lean toward the USing end of the spectrum anyway) with a newbie in the house, and that's fine with me We'll snuggle on the couch and read while I nurse, etc.
Yeah, I had planned to be on the unschooly end of the spectrum, but DD seems to do better with things being somewhat more organized. Ds... well, we'll see. Crazy, DD is such a workbook kid, that she'd probably be happy if I just handed her workbooks as she finished them I just need to get on top of actually *doing* things with them I feel so horrible admitting this but I feel so drained most of the time that I try and tune them out as much as possible. You know it's bad when your 2 year old grabs your face, turns it toward him and says "mommy, talk to me." I've just been pretty preoccupied with a lot of things lately - how to figure out this baby thing, the whole school issue with DD, finding a van (or other car) that'll work and whether it's smarter to go with an older/cheaper car that will not be as reliable for as long so we can wait around until an option we like better (the gas mileage on these "familly vehicles" makes me a little green), or if we should just buy one of the newer gas guzzlers now... and which gas guzzler? Christmas always stresses me out... My family has been stressing me out...

Meh. It's all excuses and my children should come first, but it's hard to work around, at least for me.

#11 of 12 Old 01-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Try and relax Jenna!! It will all work out ok! We can always get together for a playdate/coffee if you'd like.

Don't feel bad pulling your DD out of school. I had to pull my girls out of preschool at one point (no way I could swing it financially). They adjusted just fine, and my life was much simpler during the time they were home. Running around with a new baby is a PITB. You can always look for something after the baby is born. I know of a few neat programs - there is one at the zoo, and I've heard good things about MOPS. Try not to worry about doing 'school-y' stuff with her, if she wants to do workbooks, let her! My days tend to go smoother when I just get the kids involved with stuff around the house. Winter in upstate NY is always a drag -- so take some time to relax and get ready for the new babe.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#12 of 12 Old 01-17-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

The past few days have actually gone remarkably well. I really feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of me. I just hope it keeps up. I posted about this in my spotlight thread, but Im sort of worried about how DD deals with this transition...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page