Progesterone related panic attacks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been experiencing something like panic attacks lately without warning. My MW and her backup OB both seem to think it's progesterone related and there's nothing I can do about it. Basically my heart starts pounding out of nowhere and I get shortness of breath. I could be washing the dishes, watching a show, playing with our new kitten, and it just hits me. I know how to deal with panic attacks, but the pounding heart thing won't stop for over a half hour even if I do tons of relaxation techniques. It is incredibly frustrating and annoying to feel so out of control in this situation. If it happens when I'm out of the house, it usually makes me instantly nauseated and DP and I have to go straight home no matter what we're doing. UGH!!

Besides being annoying and debilitating, it seems like any physical activity also sets the episodes off. Laundry, dishes, showering, walking around a store... This means that it will be very difficult for me to get ready for the baby if it doesn't stop soon. MW says I'm perfectly healthy and normal, it's just something that can randomly happen to women in late pregnancy. I'm not overweight, I eat mostly healthy foods, limit my caffeine, get plenty of sleep, take my vitamins, etc. I have no idea why this is happening to me and now I'm getting more and more stressed because I can't do anything. This baby is coming in about 7 weeks and things just need to get done. I suppose I need to get some help from my mom and grandma, but I don't think they'll understand that I really am unable to do some pretty simple things. Gosh I feel like I'm back at 20 weeks with hyperemesis, just laying in bed wishing I could do even the tiniest thing.

Has anyone experienced this?

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
#2 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 AM

OOOOHHHHHH this is me right now. Sometimes hubby just tucks me into bed until my heart stops racing. I do suffer from panic attacks but these are random and last much longer like you said. I can't wait for them to end!!! The first few times it happened I was so mad because I knew what it was and it was so annoying, now I just take it as a sign to take it easy even though sometimes it happens while I am resting in bed.
Don't worry...it is almost over

miriam-Homeschool mom to Samuel (4/00)
Bailey (3/03) and due (3/10):
#3 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been having that too... It doesn't feel like other panic attacks I have, but my heart starts racing and I feel short of breath and sort of dizzy. Normally with a panic attack though, my brain is going on something terrifying, too, so I guess that's the difference. I've had it happen 3 or so times over the past week and it was... crazy. Twice, it was after taking a hot shower, so I assumed the hot water was playing havoc on my blood (bringing it to the surface and away from my brain?) but i didn't really know.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM

My chiropractor showed me a location on both sides of the neck where if you put pressure, it stops your heart from racing. It's NOT the arteries, of course! But I'd look into it. She says it's a really quick, easy, side effect-less way of treating tachycardia (racing heart).

I've delt with panic attacks plenty in my lifetime. I feel ya. Thankfully, I haven't had any during this pregnancy, but if I were experiencing this I'd look into that acupressure point!

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#5 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Thank you for posting this! I've been experiencing anxiety attacks for a few weeks. I thought it was third tri stuff combined with me being off anxiety meds for over five years, and I was really getting worried.

Everything seems so overwhelming. I can't get anything done to my satisfaction, I feel like I don't have any time to prepare myself for labor, and I can't stop thinking about horrible injuries and things that could happen to DS. All of this seemingly out of nowhere.

I plan to mention it to my OB, but it's good to know it's within the realm of "normal."
#6 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Thank you for posting this! I've been experiencing anxiety attacks for a few weeks. I thought it was third tri stuff combined with me being off anxiety meds for over five years, and I was really getting worried.

Everything seems so overwhelming. I can't get anything done to my satisfaction, I feel like I don't have any time to prepare myself for labor, and I can't stop thinking about horrible injuries and things that could happen to DS. All of this seemingly out of nowhere.

I plan to mention it to my OB, but it's good to know it's within the realm of "normal."
Hypnobabies has a track that's called "joyful pregnancy affirmations" that's available for download on their site (and also comes with hypnobabies), but I found that listening to it as i was going to sleep every night *really* helped with my feelings about this pregnancy. It's not a hypnosis track - just a track of 30 minutes of pregnancy affirmations. Thought you might be interested. I was having tons of "what-ifs" going through my mind before I started doing that daily (the program tells you to do it daily, and I think they're right on).

Gah... I'm always harping on hypnobabies, these days, it seems, but I've just been so shocked how awesome it's been!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#7 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 PM

((((hugs))))) That sounds awful. Kikelet- I know this may sound crazy but try not to overwhelm yourself with what needs to "get done" before the baby. (Of course this is coming from someone who is madly scheming ways to make more money so we can "get things done"! LOL) But really- what you NEED for the baby is diapers, a few clothes, some blankets and boobs! I didn't even use a sling for the first 2 or 3 weeks. I just plan on sitting, resting, eating and nursing. I need to remind myself of this too. In some ways to me it feels like this looming deadline for all to be perfectly right in the house but really, that is just silly.Hang in there. BTW- sorry I have no input on the actual physiccal issue here- the racing heart to all going through this.
#8 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Somtimes with BH contractions I get a sensation like my chest is being squeezed, which makes me feel like I am having a panic attack, which can trigger a panic attack. Since you mentioned that they happen after activity.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
#9 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM

I have been experiencing this once or twice a week too. I thought it was just anxiety b/c I have been more anxious and depressed this pregnancy than I ever was last time. It is interesting your midwife thinks it is progesterone related. I was thinking that because I am having a boy this time that it might have something to do with the heart racing~ so maybe boy/extra progesterone makes sense?
I am not happy to hear so many others are experiencing this, but it is nice not to be alone

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#10 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 PM

You know... I have anxiety normally, so I had been looking into this before, but it didn't occur to me about this...
but having your calcium/magnesium ratios off can trigger anxiety, I think I read. Are you having leg cramps and or constipation, too? Too much calcium can cause that stuff, too. Something to think about...

#11 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
You know... I have anxiety normally, so I had been looking into this before, but it didn't occur to me about this...
but having your calcium/magnesium ratios off can trigger anxiety, I think I read. Are you having leg cramps and or constipation, too? Too much calcium can cause that stuff, too. Something to think about...
Constipation, yes, leg cramps, no. I drink a LOT of milk because it's one of the very few things I can stomach on a regular basis. When I wake up in the morning, my stomach is screaming in pain for food and I always have cereal. Maybe I can some soy milk and rotate. It's really the taste of milk that is so satisfying for me, though. I just started to drink Kefir to help my tummy and I'm sure the fiber helps, too. From what I have read and heard from my best friend who comes from a family of doctors is that a lot of calcium in milk doesn't get absorbed as much because the protein can break a lot of it down. I drink orange juice with calcium to compensate. I will ask my MW about this tomorrow for sure, thank you so much for bringing this up.

#12 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikelet View Post
Constipation, yes, leg cramps, no. I drink a LOT of milk because it's one of the very few things I can stomach on a regular basis. When I wake up in the morning, my stomach is screaming in pain for food and I always have cereal. Maybe I can some soy milk and rotate. It's really the taste of milk that is so satisfying for me, though. I just started to drink Kefir to help my tummy and I'm sure the fiber helps, too. From what I have read and heard from my best friend who comes from a family of doctors is that a lot of calcium in milk doesn't get absorbed as much because the protein can break a lot of it down. I drink orange juice with calcium to compensate. I will ask my MW about this tomorrow for sure, thank you so much for bringing this up.
No good... soy milk is calcium fortified, too. But from what I understand, it's the calcium/magnesium RATIO that's important, so you may just be able to take a magnesium supplement... And milk of magnesia is supposed to help with constipation, too, no? Doesn't that have magnesium? Maybe I'm confused...

#13 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 AM

You know, I mentioned this to my midwife today... she said panic attacks are *so* normal at this point in pregnancy. She said around this time there's a hormone shift and lots of women start getting panic attacks to accompany it. Also the crying.

Anyway, so yeah, progesterone related or whatever... fun fun.

#14 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
You know, I mentioned this to my midwife today... she said panic attacks are *so* normal at this point in pregnancy. She said around this time there's a hormone shift and lots of women start getting panic attacks to accompany it. Also the crying.

Anyway, so yeah, progesterone related or whatever... fun fun.
Yeah, crying. I cried today and haven't cried in over a month. My hormones are crazy right now and the lovely morning sickness is accompany them, which I haven't had in over a month either. I get that it's normal, it just doesn't feel normal when it's happening, yn? It's like, what the heck is wrong with my body, this is so stupid and there's really nothing I can do besides wait it out! In a way, it makes it difficult to visualize a calm birth if I anticipate my hormones freaking out and taking control of my body.

I entered to win a hypnobabies CD set because I just cannot afford the whole thing, but I might buy one of the MP3s off the website for some nice affirmations. If I can tell myself over and over again that it's all going to be ok, I think that might help.

Thanks for mentioning this

#15 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikelet View Post
Yeah, crying. I cried today and haven't cried in over a month. My hormones are crazy right now and the lovely morning sickness is accompany them, which I haven't had in over a month either. I get that it's normal, it just doesn't feel normal when it's happening, yn? It's like, what the heck is wrong with my body, this is so stupid and there's really nothing I can do besides wait it out! In a way, it makes it difficult to visualize a calm birth if I anticipate my hormones freaking out and taking control of my body.

I entered to win a hypnobabies CD set because I just cannot afford the whole thing, but I might buy one of the MP3s off the website for some nice affirmations. If I can tell myself over and over again that it's all going to be ok, I think that might help.

Thanks for mentioning this
Listening to the hypnobabies affirmations every day definitely made a huge difference for me in my level of anxiety in this pregnancy (and I'm prone to anxiety anyway), it was the first difference that i noticed from hypnobabies. It was awesome Totally worth the money, for me. Anyway, beyond that, hypnobabies has a track to deal with nausea....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page