mucus plug - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'll be 34 weeks tomorrow. anywho, yesterday i lost the rest of my mucus plug. i usually lose it little by little and it rebuilds itself but this time there was blood in it *gulp* this is baby number four and the first time i actually lost the whole plug. i don't go in until the 2nd. i've never had a baby go past 38w. how long after you lose your plug do you go into labor. or does it really have nothing to do with that. i have contractions all the time but non are consistant so i'm not concerned. i don't really want to go in if i don't have to, my hospital easily throws you on a high risk list for nothing. i would prefer not to join the list. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#2 of 5 Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Generally if there's blood, it indicates cervical change. The mucous plug can regenerate itself multiple times, so losing it isn't a reliable indicator of impending labor, but seeing blood is a reliable indicator of cervical change. Whether that change will continue or is just a little bit of softening and opening...that's the question. You might put in a call to the doc just to see what his/her opinion is on it.

If it were me, I'd probably be inclined to go in if I had contractions and maybe let them check for cervical change at my next appointment if I weren't having any contractions, but preterm labor is really nothing to shake a stick at and being cautious is a good idea.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#4 of 5 Old 01-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Ok, TMI... but I actually lost part of my plug and it was just a *tiny* bit pink, but that was after sex, and I'm 35 weeks. Is it possible that's what did it?
I know you're worried about going early, but I wouldn't go in until I was actually having contractions that concerned me. If nothing happens, maybe let them check for changes at your next appt. But try not to stress.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#5 of 5 Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started losing my mucous plug at 35-36 weeks with both, but never had bloody show until I was in labor. Definitely watch for signs of PTL and don't hesitate to call/go in if you are worried!

Single Mama to five 6 and under!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page