Eating Tums every day? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there any possbile complications that could arise from eating Tums on a daily basis during pg.? I probably eat 3-7 a day and have been since the second trimester.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
#2 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Not that I know of really. I'm in the hospital and they have no issue with me taking Tums, provided I stay within the limits on the bottle, which for mine is a max of 15 per day (!!!)

However, I will say you want to be careful with taking them around the same time as any iron rich foods or iron supplements you take. Calcium is an iron inhibitor and with anemia being more common in pregnancy to begin with, you really want to try to avoid the calcium from the Tums keeping any iron you can get from getting used.

That being said, I usually avoid the Tums and any other calcium rich foods in the AM when I take my floridix (iron) and don't worry about it the rest of the day. But if you're getting the bulk of your iron from food, I'd try to be strategic with the Tums usage.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#3 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM

It's funny that you asked this - it was the question on my "week 33" email I got this morning from one of the ten sites I signed up with The doctor's response was that it is perfectly safe to take multiple Tums (or equivalent) each day, with the only precaution being that it could cause constipation - which he then went on to say is not at all harmful to baby, just uncomfortable for you!

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#4 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyDanger View Post
Are there any possbile complications that could arise from eating Tums on a daily basis during pg.? I probably eat 3-7 a day and have been since the second trimester.
If you are prone to kidney stones (family history, etc.) there's a slight risk there. Also, in my case the full recommended dose wasn't clearing up my heartburn, while I think it WAS interfering with iron absorption. I was anemic, despite being much better about my iron intake from food and supplements this time than I had been in other pregnancies so I ended up switching to zantac (higher risks, but weighing the pros and cons, I decided it was a good call in my case. Most importantly, I can eat a balanced diet now.
#5 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM

I've read and been told that it can cause calcifications on the placenta, which then interferes with placental ciriculation. I don't have any sources so if anyone is bored and can find more info I'd appreciate it. I'd do it but navigating the web on a blackberry isn't fun! :P I'll probably spend some time searching about it this weekend otherwise!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#6 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
I've read and been told that it can cause calcifications on the placenta, which then interferes with placental ciriculation.
Yeah, my midwife told me that just yesterday.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#7 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM

No idea about that. I know I go to town on Tums usually (this baby isn't causing nearly as much reflux for some reason) and I've never had any calcification of my placenta that we could see...unless its not visable? Then I have no idea.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#8 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do a tiny bit of baking soda instead. You could alternate, it would ameliorate the calcium issue a bit. I seriously use a pinch of baking soda in a glass of water, but I only generally use one tums, too.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 PM

I do both tums and zantac. It's usually worse in the evenings so I try to take zantac then so that I don't end up taking 5 tums in 2 hours. I also take zantac before bed too. But in the mornings (or at 4am sometimes) and afternoons I'll take tums here and there.

The heartburn is pretty harsh.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#10 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 04:14 AM

I've been trying to avoid the tums, but I'm giving in. About an hour ago, I accidentally threw up a little (on DH's side of the bed no less). I'm a heavy sleeper, and after weeks of getting no more than 2 hours of sleep at a time, I can apparently sleep through the heartburn until the food completely returns from whence it came. Gross. :Puke

Nothing else works. I've tried almonds, herbal supplements....tums seems to be the only thing that works. I'll have to check with our midwife at our 35 week appointment tomorrow. I'm hoping a few weeks of tums won't hurt. IDK what else to do...

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#11 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Kidney stones. Which is why I refuse to take them because I know I'd be taking them like candy on a daily basis. I can suffer through it. I'd rather have bad heartburn than some of the other things I've had to deal with. But Papaya tablets sometimes help, other times they do nothing.
#12 of 12 Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied. I am using Tums a lot less in this pregnancy than in my last, so I'm sure I am staying within the "safe zone" for dosage.

definately worth discussing here.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page