Pretty sure this baby is transverse at 33 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
gcgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's still time for the baby to change position, right?

Funny, DS was breech up until about three weeks before birth, and I didn't stress about it AT ALL. Somehow this one being transverse has got me all tied up in knots. Maybe it's because he/she's been in the same position for weeks. I'm not even really sure, but it seems likely because all my baby weight seems to be right in the middle, with a big bulge on my left side, and everytime I lie on my right, I get a flurry of kicking/pushing on that side. I also don't have any of that tightness in the chest or reflux or anything that would indicate a baby head or butt in my ribs.

Any stories? Advice? I haven't been doing my prenatal yoga, sitting on my birth ball much at all, or doing the all-fours and other recommended positions my doula always has me do. I feel like I've caused this to happen by being lame and not spending as much time on that stuff as I did with DS.
gcgirl is offline  
#2 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
 
VegMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The dusty Canadian Prairies
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's totally not your fault, so don't feel guilty. If baby is breech, here are a few ideas:

- shine a flashlight at the bottom of your belly, where you want the baby's head to go. sometimes baby will follow the light

- have your DP or DS talk to the baby below your belly button... same idea as the flashlight

- I've had clients have great success with accupuncture turning breech babies... maybe check out FYT for an accupuncuntcurist who specializes in prenatal care? Or your doula could probably recommend someone

I'm sure other mamas here have lots of other ideas too.

Busy mama to my three little lads!
VegMomma is offline  
#3 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
gcgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah, that's a big duh. I could ask my doula! Didn't even think of that.

I've heard about the flashlight and the talking. I'm going to try that, in addition to getting back on the program of optimal positioning movements. I just never anticipated how much HARDER it is to do ANYTHING when you have a toddler. I haven't done nearly as much self-care in this pregnancy.
gcgirl is offline  
#4 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 PM
 
Plummeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
I just never anticipated how much HARDER it is to do ANYTHING when you have a toddler. I haven't done nearly as much self-care in this pregnancy.
I haven't either. I don't have a toddler, but a 5-year-old homeschooler, and have had a lot of things going on in life unrelated to that, that just weren't happening last time. It's harder to take care of yourself when you're responsible for another child.
Plummeting is offline  
#5 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM
 
elmh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where it's hot!
Posts: 9,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think mine is too, except I'm 35wks. I've never done any of the recommended positions with my other kids, and they were both head down by now (and honestly, he was the other day.) I figure I'll give him another couple weeks and hope he goes head down on his own.

Mama of three.
 
elmh23 is offline  
#6 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sometimes chiropractic care can help, too. Look for someone who does the "webster technique"

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
#7 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 PM
 
Charmie981's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS3 was transverse until 34+ weeks when I had a total freakout that my water would break and I'd have a cord prolapse. He had been persistently transverse, with his back facing up and his belly down, since at least 17w. I seriously contemplated scheduling a c-section because I was terrified of a prolapse, but reason won out and I spent the majority of the day telling him that I was really worried about his position and that it wasn't a safe way to come into the world and if he didn't turn, he'd have to be born into a cold OR and all that stuff. That night, he moved so violently that I had to stand up to make more space for him to wiggle around...it really took my breath away...and the next morning, he had settled into a head down (although posterior) position. He was actually born posterior, but it was WAY better than a c-section for a transverse baby.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Charmie981 is offline  
#8 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 AM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
My DS3 was transverse until 34+ weeks when I had a total freakout that my water would break and I'd have a cord prolapse. He had been persistently transverse, with his back facing up and his belly down, since at least 17w. I seriously contemplated scheduling a c-section because I was terrified of a prolapse, but reason won out and I spent the majority of the day telling him that I was really worried about his position and that it wasn't a safe way to come into the world and if he didn't turn, he'd have to be born into a cold OR and all that stuff. That night, he moved so violently that I had to stand up to make more space for him to wiggle around...it really took my breath away...and the next morning, he had settled into a head down (although posterior) position. He was actually born posterior, but it was WAY better than a c-section for a transverse baby.
What an amazing story!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
#9 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
 
MaxMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Manitoba
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat and getting nervous. My 6yr old ds was an emergency section and I was informed yesterday at a prenatal visit that if this baby does not turn I won't have the oppurtunity for vaginal birth, that the ob will just go ahead with a section. Not good.
I'm watching for ideas of what to do. Going to do some yoga, see if that helps. Will try the flashlight too.
Good luck to you, hope everything works out for you.
MaxMommy is offline  
#10 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM
 
nick&jonmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't panic yet!!!! My ds2 was transverse until 38 wks! He just stayed that way and was never head up or head down just right across my belly! I was starting to get REALLY worried and the doc informed me that transverse was an automatic seciton and I was like no way!! That night, dh talked to baby and told him the problem and told him to follow his voice as he would move down to where his head should and we laid for a quite a while while he talked. Baby was surprisngly quiet during that time, like he was actually listening. That night, during the middle of the night there was A LOT of movement and scrambling around and sure enough in the morning the whole shape of my belly had changed and next week at the doc he was confirmed head down and stayed that way!! It can happen, but believe me I know it is a scary place to be. Even breech gives you more options then transverse.

My reconmendations fwiw:
1st try not to panic, you still have time!!
2nd I'd do the talking to babe and tell him/her where they need to be for a safe delivery, ask them to follow partners voice etc
3rd try the light, though I have no exp w/that...I will try it though myself since this babe I have now is most often breech!! Do they need to just prepare us for what's to come w/them or what?!

Keep us posted!
nick&jonmom is offline  
#11 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
 
mama kk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: WNC
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick&jonmom View Post
Don't panic yet!!!! My ds2 was transverse until 38 wks! He just stayed that way and was never head up or head down just right across my belly! I was starting to get REALLY worried and the doc informed me that transverse was an automatic seciton and I was like no way!! That night, dh talked to baby and told him the problem and told him to follow his voice as he would move down to where his head should and we laid for a quite a while while he talked. Baby was surprisngly quiet during that time, like he was actually listening. That night, during the middle of the night there was A LOT of movement and scrambling around and sure enough in the morning the whole shape of my belly had changed and next week at the doc he was confirmed head down and stayed that way!! It can happen, but believe me I know it is a scary place to be. Even breech gives you more options then transverse.

Keep us posted!
What a sweet story!

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
mama kk is offline  
#12 of 16 Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
 
heidibgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
look at www.spinningbabies.com

My baby is still jumping around at 34 weeks. At 32 weeks she/he was vertex. My 3 year old daughter was breech at 35 weeks and I did all kinds of stuff, but the Webster Technique is what I think worked. I have a history of back problems.

I hear ya! I am nervous as all heck too. Especially since I have planned a home birth
heidibgg is offline  
#13 of 16 Old 02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
 
Mom2ManyBlessings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Amongst the cornfields of Iowa
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My last LO was transverse until 35 weeks, when she flipped breech. She flipped vertex at 38 weeks, the *night* before I was to have the c-section-scheduling talk with the mw. So there's plenty of time left for you...

This one was transverse at my last appt, and my mw recommended a maternity support belt, b/c sometimes, if you've had more then one baby, your lower ligaments get loose, and it creates a "hammock" environment for the baby, allowing them to feel more comfortable in the transverse position. By lifting up and supporting your lower abdomen, it makes it more likely that the baby will turn. So DH went out and got one for me, to try to get the baby to turn. Mine has, and is no longer transverse. However, LO keeps flipping from vertex to breech and back, pretty much on a daily basis... *sigh*

But seeing as DD didn't flip and stay unitl 38 weeks, I'm trying HARD not to stress about it yet. But I'm not doing a very good job on that one...

Karen~Mom to Sarah-17, Amanda-16, Nathan-14, Robbie-12, David-7, Hannah-4 & Joshua-2
Wife to Brian since 8/11/91 heartbeat.gif I am truly blessed. heartbeat.gif

Mom2ManyBlessings is offline  
#14 of 16 Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
gcgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
My last LO was transverse until 35 weeks, when she flipped breech. She flipped vertex at 38 weeks, the *night* before I was to have the c-section-scheduling talk with the mw. So there's plenty of time left for you...

This one was transverse at my last appt, and my mw recommended a maternity support belt, b/c sometimes, if you've had more then one baby, your lower ligaments get loose, and it creates a "hammock" environment for the baby, allowing them to feel more comfortable in the transverse position. By lifting up and supporting your lower abdomen, it makes it more likely that the baby will turn. So DH went out and got one for me, to try to get the baby to turn. Mine has, and is no longer transverse. However, LO keeps flipping from vertex to breech and back, pretty much on a daily basis... *sigh*

But seeing as DD didn't flip and stay unitl 38 weeks, I'm trying HARD not to stress about it yet. But I'm not doing a very good job on that one...
I talked to my doula yesterday and she said it's very normal in non-first time pregnancies for the baby not to engage head-down until labor. She has been both a midwife and an RN, so I trust her to know her stuff. I feel a lot better about that!

But you know, what you said about the "hammock" effect really struck me, because I've been thinking lately that maybe if I had kept up with my bellydancing, I wouldn't have this problem. When you do all those hip lifts and figure eights, you really strengthen your obliques, and I think a baby would be less likely to settle sideways like that. So I'm going to start doing them again, gently...couldn't hurt, anyway.
gcgirl is offline  
#15 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 07:00 AM
 
StacieM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat as you. At 33 wks, still pretty sure baby is transverse and has been like that for a while.

I do believe there is still time for baby to turn. My oldest was breech after her due date. Did nothing to turn her - was never told of any positions to help and never knew of that stuff until recently years. She arrived on her own time, 9 days late, but in the right position.

Only this pg and my last did I have any idea of position. However, I remember last time that DD was head down the entire time I was even aware of positioning (based upon kicks and feeling from the outside).

This time, baby has been transverse since he/she was big enough for me to tell. Today is the first day I *think* maybe, there could be some turning going on But for the most part, baby seems transverse. Before it was head on my left side, butt/legs on the right. Now feels like the opposite, but always with baby's back to my back and stomach/face to my belly button.

Dr says we'll check position at my next appt in 2 weeks.

But don't blame yourself. I was never even aware of different things that could be done and this is the ONLY time I'm trying to put any time into it.

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

StacieM is offline  
#16 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Mamatoto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Right here!
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, there's always time for baby to turn assuming that you haven't had it yet. That said, turning doesn't always happen so if in the end baby enters the world via a different route than you planned, try not to make it mean too much.

Ok, so here' all that I read, heard about and/or tried when my #2 was transverse breech:

1. Cold pack on top of belly, warm pack on bottom
2. Music, light, voices between your legs
3. Buzz an electric toothbrush near your belly (my then 3 year-old would hold toothbrushes up to her belly for the longest time after watching mommy try this move)
4. Lay down with head, back and feet flat on floor and lift hips in air. Stay that way for 20 min. every 2 hrs-or advanced class option-get an inversion table and hang upside down for 20 min. every 2 hrs.
5. Go into swimming pool and do dives down in the water, touching the bottom of the pool-do this IN the water-not diving into the pool if that makes sense
6. Chiropractic Webster method adjustments
7. Accupuncture/moxabustion
8. Visualize, pray, meditate, give baby permission to turn if s/he can do so safely (sometimes baby doesn't turn due to cord issues or the like)
9. Homeopathic pulsatilla
10. Try to identify stress in your life and release it. I remember someone telling me that when transverse breech the baby's head is closest to your heart and some believe that baby is trying to comfort/protect you.
11. External version

As I mentioned, I did almost all of these things (couldn't find a pool) many many many times over and DD was still transverse breech after my water broke and I was in labor (3 days before my scheduled version attempt). I of course do not wish the same for you, but just know that even if you do everything you can and baby still doesn't turn it is by no means a failure on your part. Sometimes babies just have different plans than we do. I wish you the very very best of luck.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Mamatoto2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off