Hypnobabies mamas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How's it going?

I pretty much am asleep within minutes of starting it, lately... that's ok right?

I was thinking of putting my affirmations on a lot more to help me deal with some of my fears. Anyone done that?

What's up with everyone else?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My understanding is that sleeping through the scripts is fine - I hope so because I do it too! In fact, if I can't get back to sleep in the middle of the night, I put one on and it does the trick.

As for fears, in addition to the affirmations, have you tried the fear-clearing session?

I'm also doing the "hypnotic childbirth 1 & 2" scripts with my DH about twice a week - we're focusing on him helping me with the "release", "relax", and "peace" cues. I try to practice turning my switch off and to center every day, and I really can tell that it helps when my back and hips are hurting, especially if I use the peace cue while lightly touching the achy spot. So that's really encouraging!

Hope you're able to set some of your fears aside - and thanks for posting - I'd love to hear how our other hypnobabies moms are doing!

Melissa - 38, happy wife to Jeff and proud mother to Max & Thea, born Feb 2010
#3 of 34 Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM

I'm a bad HB student. I should be done by now and just practicing. I just started back up again yesterday. Goodness, I hope I can stay commited to it from here on out!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#4 of 34 Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM

I wish I was keeping up with this series better! I am good about doing the affirmations and the reading sections every week, but I have a hard time making time for the listening sessions every day, even if I plan right before bedtime.

my other problem is that having my lightswitch "off" REALLY freaks me out. it just is not relaxing to me at all. I am a big fan of the "center" position, but "off" just makes me want to twitch all over and I can never get comfortable or something. so I think that is why I am hesitant to do the sessions, just because I hate the feeling that comes with being "off". anyone else have that problem?

I do the affirmations at least once a day, even when I am reading with my toddler or something and not consciously listening at all. I find that a certain phrase will catch my attention and it tends to be just what I needed to hear right then. that's pretty cool. so I say go for the affirmations as many times as you can squeeze them in.

the other problem I am having is feeling a little hokey about the practice where dh is supposed to touch my forehead and say "peace". I just do not see myself being down with that during birthing at all. so I guess overall I am just taking what works for me out of this whole shebang, and the parts I like I really like, and I just leave the rest alone.

oh, and I love the image of "painting on" the anesthesia. I use that throughout the day since turning my light switch "off" freaks me out so much
#5 of 34 Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm on the "week six and beyond" section - the fear clearing session is every sunday. I don't have a lot of time to do it other than when it's scheduled, though, because the only time I can not be "interrupted" is at night when my kids are asleep - so i do it when I'm going to bed. The affirmations are easier to do at any time - or even all day long...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#6 of 34 Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM

I'm doing okay, I think. I don't practice my center switch thing often enough, which I'm starting to worry about. I listen to a track (or three) every night when I fall asleep, but almost as soon as my switch is off, I'm sleeping. The only script I really don't care for is the deepening one because I don't like how it has you enter hypnosis right away. My dh isn't into it much, but my doula has done hypnobabies births before, so I'm not worrying too much about his lack of enthusiasm.

I am mostly scared that once labor starts it just won't work and that I'll be spending my whole labor feeling betrayed and angry because I've put all this time into practicing... And, I'm not sleeping all that well, even though it seems like everyone else who does hypnobabies apparently sleeps all night long without disturbance.
#7 of 34 Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 PM

I totally zonk out during it. Granted I also do it as I'm going to sleep.

It totally helps any insomnia I have.
And I do wake up at the end of the script.

But I'm still concerned I'm not getting it. Last birth I loved the CDs but never got to try it during labor.
I never do the homework. Or listen to the affirmations. I so need to step up my game!
#8 of 34 Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM

I am really enjoying it, too. I use it every night, and go right to sleep. My only big problem is that every time I do "finger drop" and turn my lightswitch off, I *have* to scratch my nose. I mean, I have to do it, or I will die. It is so crazy. I hope that is not going to mess it up. I also use it to go back to sleep, and it works great.

2 things: first, I woke up the other night when I had "active anesthesia" and it was the WEIRDEST thing. I felt so, so, so good! It felt just great in all my "birthing muscles". I could really tell that is what it was. Later, I woke with some pain (usual for me) and I tried finger drop. It took a few minutes, but it really helped a lot. Oh, I am in the maintenance phase, FWIW, and most of the time, I play my tracks for hours and hours at night.

I am just hoping that I will achieve "instant" hypnosis by the time my birthing time really gets here. Honestly, I was hoping to take the edge off and get a shorter birthing time, but this is making me think it might be way better!

Oh, here is another thing (kind of weird). I swear, with the "deepening" tracks, I go so far deep that I am having dreams from a past life. Once I was a black man, and last night, an East Indian lady, so I know these are not from my life! And I don't have emotions attached to these dreams, like I do to my own. Isn't that something?

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#9 of 34 Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
I'm a bad HB student. I should be done by now and just practicing. I just started back up again yesterday. Goodness, I hope I can stay commited to it from here on out!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Tomorrow is my last class and I'm afraid I'll miss it because of this danged chest cold. I still have a bunch of the book to get through though I do try to listen to the relaxation discs every night (though this week it has been more like every other day)

Also, I totally always fall asleep. I haven't even heard most of the relaxation instructions because I have never been able to stay awake through it. My teacher said that was totally fine.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#10 of 34 Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I finally got my home study kit this Monday. I want to finish before 5 weeks so that I can get more maintenance practice. What do you mamas recommend? Can I listen to the both tracks everyday, that way,instead of 5 days,I will give myself 3 days of both tracks per week. And by mid-week, go to next week's section?
I don't want to compromise my core work, but I also want to be able to make up for the time lost

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#11 of 34 Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... I think I read something about being able to fast track it. Have you looked around on the hypnobabies website? I would think (if you can get the time) and do the monday track monday morning, then the tuesday track monday evening, wednesday track tuesday morning the thursday track tuesday evening... I can't imagine why it wouldn't work... The "maintenance phase" is pretty much just a string of various tracks in a certain order, so it seems like if you double up every day from now til your birthing time, you should be good to go. I'd check on the hypnobabies site, though...

#12 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 AM

I'm really enjoying the course and am supposed to start week 5 today, but I think I'll spend a few more days on week 4 since I feel a little scattered this week.

I had a lot of the leg twitches and such and it eventually faded way when I stopped stressing over it. I will switch to center to move, but if I notice I'm doing a lot of switching, I'll just stay in center.

The best time for listening that I've found is about 6am, I usually wake to pee around then and struggle to get back to sleep, so I just turn a track on and have better luck getting to sleep versus when going to bed. Listening to them at bedtime does not put me to sleep, quite the opposite.

I manage to practice the fingerdrop about 2 times a day every other day at this point and feel it works well for me. For the whole program, actually, I feel like my brain has totally been washed to believe in it 100% which is awesome because I'm overly analytical and skeptical. But I accepted what I read in the book that if you just try to believe it and don't overthink it all, it'll work. Also accepting that you might not feel anything but it's still working is important to me too -- so glad I got the books, otherwise I probably wouldn't feel confident.

I've still not practiced with dh yet and I'm nervous about doing so. I feel like it's asking a lot of him since, which seems silly. He's totally supportive and willing to be helpful, but I kinda think the hypnobabies is like on the far end of my crazy hippie spectrum and asking for him to participate is a lot. And the "mini-script" looks insanely long too, but we'll get around to it soon.

Funny story - I watched a youtube hypnobabies birth and really felt like the partner was really forceful in his "peace" cue, like he was just barking it at her. I told dh about this and we joked a little about it, but now he thinks it's pretty funny to bark/shout "peace" at me occasionally, which while it totally makes me laugh, also makes me jump a bit too. We'll be working on removing that association from now on.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#13 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixstar View Post
.... but I kinda think the hypnobabies is like on the far end of my crazy hippie spectrum and asking for him to participate is a lot...
The fact you have a crazy hippie spectrum cracks me up. I lack the hippie part, I just have the nutty crunchy spectrum. LOL

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#14 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixstar View Post
I manage to practice the fingerdrop about 2 times a day every other day at this point and feel it works well for me. For the whole program, actually, I feel like my brain has totally been washed to believe in it 100% which is awesome because I'm overly analytical and skeptical. But I accepted what I read in the book that if you just try to believe it and don't overthink it all, it'll work. Also accepting that you might not feel anything but it's still working is important to me too -- so glad I got the books, otherwise I probably wouldn't feel confident.
yes! I feel the same way!
Quote:
I've still not practiced with dh yet and I'm nervous about doing so. I feel like it's asking a lot of him since, which seems silly. He's totally supportive and willing to be helpful, but I kinda think the hypnobabies is like on the far end of my crazy hippie spectrum and asking for him to participate is a lot. And the "mini-script" looks insanely long too, but we'll get around to it soon.
yeah, I haven't practiced with Dh, either. Honestly, I sort of don't want him involved, even though he's willing and all that. I feel somewhat crazy, as it is, doing this hypnobabies thing... and keeping it in my head and not in an interpersonal interaction feels more comfortable to me, at this point, but I'll probably regret it down the road, so I'll have to force myself to try.

Quote:

Funny story - I watched a youtube hypnobabies birth and really felt like the partner was really forceful in his "peace" cue, like he was just barking it at her. I told dh about this and we joked a little about it, but now he thinks it's pretty funny to bark/shout "peace" at me occasionally, which while it totally makes me laugh, also makes me jump a bit too. We'll be working on removing that association from now on.
my husband likes to say "Peassssssssssss" in a really creepy voice. Or say other lines from the hypnobabies tracks in a creepy way. He gets a total kick out of it. I can't help but laugh.

#15 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Here is the link to the shortened schedule for HB: http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...t_schedule.htm

I am mixed about working with DH. On the one hand, I think it could help -- he wants to help during labor, but he does tend to joke under stress, and I have had to put a ban on all joking when in labor. I hate being so grouchy! Plus, DH is not much of a studier, and I would feel safer, I think, relying on me. My MW's one assistant (who I am likely to get) is a hypno doula, so maybe she could say "peace" and all that. I just dunno, but I am pretty sure I will do it by myself.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#16 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM

DDC crashing here....

I'm doing Hypnobabies too and I'm on week 5. This is our first baby and DH wants to be a big part of the birth so I told him he better start with the hypnobabies. He read the birth partner guide this week and we've done the mini-script a few times. The mini-script really doesn't take too long about 10 minutes I think. It does seem to help me because every time he presses his hand to my shoulder or forehead I do go deeper. He doesn't totally get how everything works though because he hasn't read the main book or listened to the scripts. I think he needs to but I'm not sure if he'll find the time to. My mom is coming to stay with us a few weeks before the birth because DH travels a lot and I plan on having her be a backup. I figured she can at least remind DH to give me the cues.

I'm really bad about practicing the finger drop technique and I'm hoping that doesn't hurt me at the end. Before this week the only time I did it was when listening to the scripts. I'm trying to remember to do it this week but I keep forgetting. I really need to step that up.

I get the itchies every time I turn my lightswitch off too. I end up going from off to center over and over. I'm trying to just lay there and get comfortable before I start but some days it's impossible and I end up staying in center too.

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
#17 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Another DDC crasher (jenica, is no one in april doing hb?)

Just finished wk5. Dh tried to read the mini-script to me and i started laughing. He hadn't read over it first so his voice and stumbling is just so different that the soothing voice on the tracks! He totally supports it and finds it fascinating, but i'm thinking i'll have to keep w/the actual tracks during birthing time...unless i need some comic relief

I keep hearing other mama's are able to keep up bc they listen at bedtime (it is sometimes so difficult to stop everything during the day to do it, though i find after yoga at home it works wonders). So dh and i have tried twice to listen to the fear clearing session and fallin asleep both times. I know it's fine to sleep during them, but i really think you should listen to each at least once while awake. Both times we did this we slept great (9 hrs too) but woke up utterly exhausted! has this happened to anyone else? I'm sure it can be pregnancy exhaustion too, but wondering if there's a correlation?

Oh, and i totally have a problem turning my switch off--always get jittery too! I end up keeping it in the center if i can't calm down

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#18 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM

I have gone through the whole course and I'm supposed to be doing maintenance but I've been really terrible about it. First my iPod fried, then we went to see family...and for some reason I haven't been motivated to stay on it.

I'm going to do it tonight, I swear... but I'm a little nervous that I've lost motivation.
#19 of 34 Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
Here is the link to the shortened schedule for HB: http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...t_schedule.htm
Thank you so much!!!!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#20 of 34 Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 PM

I've been doing hypnobabies too. (I'm in the April DDC.) I need to step it up a little, I haven't been listening to the tracks in the right order and I've mostly only been listening to the affirmations. Every time I turn on the hypnosis tracks I pass out cold or I start relaxing and suddenly feel like I can't breathe! It freaks me out a little.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#21 of 34 Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 PM

I used the Hypnobabies Home Study for my last birth. I totally had a lot of the same things happen as you guys when I was practicing before the birth. I completely felt like I was falling asleep through each session, I would itch horribly as soon as I turned "OFF". I never *felt* any different when I did my Eyes Open/Fingerdrop practice. I kept thinking, is this even going to work?!

Oh my goodness, did it ever! I had kind of a complicated situation, my water ruptured at 30 weeks and I was on bedrest in the hospital. We decided to induce at almost 33 weeks because ds was starting to do poorly and we needed to get him out. I was really freaked out about the induction because I'd heard such horrible things about pit (and there are sooo many legitimate reasons to be pit-leary). Even with the induction, constant monitoring, and very limited mobility, I was completely comfortable and very in-tune with my body and the baby and the whole experience. It never even occurred to me to consider pain medication.

I would only describe the birth as completely comfortable up until about 2-3 minutes before he was actually born. No one realized I was so far along because I was so calm and comfortable so my body was pushing and the doc and NICU team hadn't even been called yet. Everyone kept telling me not to push until they were there and so I was trying NOT to push. I think if I'd been able to just go with what my body was naturally doing, it would've been completely comfortable through those last 2-3 minutes as well.

Sorry to be crashing here, but I thought you guys might appreciate the scoop from someone who's on the other side.

Good luck, you guys are going to do great!

me(31)dh(38) dsd(18) ds1(5) ds2(3) GBG triplets (turned 1 in Jan '12!)

Hypnobabies Instructor and Birth Doula, PM me with questions!

#22 of 34 Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charis4 View Post
I used the Hypnobabies Home Study for my last birth. I totally had a lot of the same things happen as you guys when I was practicing before the birth. I completely felt like I was falling asleep through each session, I would itch horribly as soon as I turned "OFF". I never *felt* any different when I did my Eyes Open/Fingerdrop practice. I kept thinking, is this even going to work?!

Oh my goodness, did it ever! I had kind of a complicated situation, my water ruptured at 30 weeks and I was on bedrest in the hospital. We decided to induce at almost 33 weeks because ds was starting to do poorly and we needed to get him out. I was really freaked out about the induction because I'd heard such horrible things about pit (and there are sooo many legitimate reasons to be pit-leary). Even with the induction, constant monitoring, and very limited mobility, I was completely comfortable and very in-tune with my body and the baby and the whole experience. It never even occurred to me to consider pain medication.

I would only describe the birth as completely comfortable up until about 2-3 minutes before he was actually born. No one realized I was so far along because I was so calm and comfortable so my body was pushing and the doc and NICU team hadn't even been called yet. Everyone kept telling me not to push until they were there and so I was trying NOT to push. I think if I'd been able to just go with what my body was naturally doing, it would've been completely comfortable through those last 2-3 minutes as well.

Sorry to be crashing here, but I thought you guys might appreciate the scoop from someone who's on the other side.

Awesome! Thanx for sharing your story.
I'm really looking foreward to how HB works for me in labor.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#23 of 34 Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow! How awesome! I do have to say, that after the basic pain relief I've gotten via hypnobabies over the course of this pregnancy, I can't wait to see what happens in labor. But to be honest, even if it does nothing, it was totally worth it for the pain relief *during* pregnancy and the anxiety relief from listening to the affirmations...

#24 of 34 Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Wow....so encouraging to read this...thanks for posting

#25 of 34 Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Wow, charis4, thanks so much for posting. I agree with Juvysen, too. I get so much sleep and relief from my HB practice. I was thinking the other night, it might be weird when Baby comes -- I can't sleep with headphones then!

#26 of 34 Old 02-07-2010, 01:56 PM

another funny... last night dd (18m) just wouldn't go to sleep and ended up staying awake until we went to bed. She was still very playful at that point too, but we gave her a book and thought she'd settle down. Since we were kinda awake, we finally decided to do the partner's mini-script. So I get all settled and DH gets settled and starts reading... and suddenly dd is just this huge bundle of laughter and silliness and raspberries. We managed to get through a couple paragraphs but neither of us could contain the laughter any longer and finally gave up.

While I was still trying to make it work, I kept telling myself that every noise she made would help me go deeper and each time she kicked me in the back I'd go deeper -- not sure that actually worked though.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#27 of 34 Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Subbing! I was supposed to start week 4 today, but I am being 'held back' in week 3 due to slackeriness! I love it tho and hope to be more on the ball from here on!
#28 of 34 Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I don't like the breathing part. I never do well when someone tells me HOW to breathe - I over think it. Does anyone think this is critical? I just breathe slowly and from my belly, instead...

#29 of 34 Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I don't like the breathing part. I never do well when someone tells me HOW to breathe - I over think it. Does anyone think this is critical? I just breathe slowly and from my belly, instead...
I like how I feel qualified to give my opinion even though I have no idea! (keep that in mind!)

I just wanted to note that I *can't* breathe the way I am supposed to according to HB. Baby's position just makes it too hard. Plus, sometimes I am a little congested. I just breathe in a way that relaxes me -- I do breathe with more mindfulness. It seems to work. I get super relaxed.

I think you are great to breathe from your belly. My belly is too full -- chock and block!

#30 of 34 Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
I like how I feel qualified to give my opinion even though I have no idea! (keep that in mind!)

I just wanted to note that I *can't* breathe the way I am supposed to according to HB. Baby's position just makes it too hard. Plus, sometimes I am a little congested. I just breathe in a way that relaxes me -- I do breathe with more mindfulness. It seems to work. I get super relaxed.

I think you are great to breathe from your belly. My belly is too full -- chock and block!
LOL... yeah, I have to sort of lean back and loosen my belly. I'm starting to wonder if I'm gonna get more stretch marks this time (only got a couple new ones last time), but the top of my belly has been feeling *so* stretched lately...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page