Finally got out the old cloth diapers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And some of the elastic is shot! I was so looking forward to seeing the cute tiny diaps... I'm glad I took them out now and can actually do something about it. I'm not sure I want to gut and fix all these diapers though. Surprisingly the size 1 Kissaluvs, that got way more use seem to be in ok shape. It's the newborn Kissaluvs that the elastic is gone. Fortunately the diapers I made in a "medium" size seem to be ok too. Whew.

Any advice? Any quick tricks to fixing them up?

Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLegos View Post
And some of the elastic is shot! I was so looking forward to seeing the cute tiny diaps... I'm glad I took them out now and can actually do something about it. I'm not sure I want to gut and fix all these diapers though. Surprisingly the size 1 Kissaluvs, that got way more use seem to be in ok shape. It's the newborn Kissaluvs that the elastic is gone. Fortunately the diapers I made in a "medium" size seem to be ok too. Whew.

Any advice? Any quick tricks to fixing them up?

Amy
Oh NO! how old are they? Mine are nearly 3 years old... I hope they're ok. *sigh* I guess I should break 'em out, eh?

You might be able to sew the elastic on the outside of the diaper so you don't have to take them all apart. The kissaluvs I have have sort of a frill area around the leg, so it'd probably keep the elastic off the tiny thighs...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM

i have no tips but you are not alone. I pulled out our old dipes (the smalls are mainly prefolds and PUL covers). The prefolds are fine, but some of the covers, especially the secondhand ones are quite ratty and seem like the elastic is shot on them as well... I wonder if there was a way to avoid this (mine have been in storage for almost 2 years)?

[FONT="Verdana"]Kate, mom to S(6/07) and Y(3/10)
#4 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mine are six years old...I have some bigger ones that are older. I know that elastic degrades...but it's still sad.

#5 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 PM

I have a couple of GMs with shot elastic, too... Not happy about that...

Karen~Mom to Sarah-17, Amanda-16, Nathan-14, Robbie-12, David-7, Hannah-4 & Joshua-2
Wife to Brian since 8/11/91 heartbeat.gif I am truly blessed. heartbeat.gif

#6 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thankfully, most of my homemade stash from four years ago is still going strong.. but, I had a few used Kissaluv 0s that I had gotten, so who knows HOW old they were.. and when I pulled them out the elastic was totally shot. In theory they *can* still work .. even with no elastic. They're grippy and whatnot with the fabric, but I'd be sure there was a VERY snug cover over the top... plus, they'll fit larger since there's no elastic to make them more snug. You could also just ignore the snaps completely and just use a snappi to keep it closed and pretend it's a contour diaper

You *could* replace the elastic also. But seam-ripping the serged edges and then fixing the elastic is something that *I* am not ambitious enough to do (and I sew all the dang time! love it!).

Good luck!

And.. how exciting to get out the diapers! I have most of mine out now (I think), but trying to take a complete inventory and make more where I need to fill in (like.. some more covers! and for some reason I have no wool!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#7 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Yeah, I've read about that happening a lot on another forum. It really sucks for those who want to save them and use them for the next kiddo-unless its prefolds or something!

I was going to keep my fuzzi bunz from my 2nd to hand down to the next but after reading about the elastic issues, I decided to just sell them. I'm glad I did actually cause then I fell in love with BG's with the next kid This time I'm using the Flip system and making my own one size fitteds to use with the Flip covers while she still has runny poo-but I use the normal Flips on my ds and love them! So I guess since I have diaper ADD its probably better I don't hang onto stuff anyway.

I have no idea how you could help keep the elastic from getting shot in storage. Is it possible that very mild residue from washing is what eats it away? Maybe stripping and then doing a few plain water washes would help...I have no idea.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#8 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 03:25 PM

The elastic that seems to go bad is the polybraid elastic. The rubber elastic stuff isn't just meant to last forever. I do prefer to sew with the polybraid as opposed to Lastin elastic anyway (especially if doing serged diapers that have the 'ruffled' legs... you just can't *feel* the Lastin in there to use the blind elastic method... which really only makes sense if you sew anyway..lol). I'm not sure about the life of Lastin and if it has a tendency to hold up longer or not.

But basically, you're dealing with an article of fabric that really undergoes a lot of stress... washing at least every other day in HOT water (often with an extra rinse) and most often a HOT dry as well (I know there's a lot of line-drying too... but not in the winter.. at least not here ). That's way more stress than any other article of 'clothing' has to undergo

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#9 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Ooo...question...how do you get your elastic to be super stretchy after sewing? I think I had my stitches too close together or something but I pulled it as tight as I could and when I was done and let go, it was like it hadn't been stretched hardly at all. I was using a zig zag (the 3 point one) and I went ahead and ripped out the stitches and just tacked it down on either end and made a casing, sort of. I'm not doing blind elastic though, I'm turning and topstitching with a cased elastic.

#10 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
Ooo...question...how do you get your elastic to be super stretchy after sewing? I think I had my stitches too close together or something but I pulled it as tight as I could and when I was done and let go, it was like it hadn't been stretched hardly at all. I was using a zig zag (the 3 point one) and I went ahead and ripped out the stitches and just tacked it down on either end and made a casing, sort of. I'm not doing blind elastic though, I'm turning and topstitching with a cased elastic.
Well, I know you already said you were.. but, you would, of course, stretch out your elastic quite a bit while sewing it down, and being mindful of not stretching your fabric with it. Oh.. I'll back up just a bit and make sure you're using quality elastic as well... because you don't want to go to all that work for crapp elastic that will break right away. I like to use the stretch-rite brand of polybraid elastic.. I prefer to use the 1/4" on most things, but I know some mamas like 3/8" on mediums and larges because it does have a bit more 'pull' and sturdiness to it. Otherwise, if you want the clear stuff, make sure it really is Lastin brand elastic. There are other clear elastics, but this is really the best stuff.

On to sewing again... If your zig-zags are too narrow, then there isn't much recovery that can be made after you 'let the elastic go' when you're done stretching/sewing. I set the distance/length of stitches to probably a 3 or so? Maybe 2.5? (and yeah, it all depends on your machine! I have a gorgeous Bernina 1010.. a beauty of a used, sturdy machine!).

Hope that helps... (if not, I'll try to word it better )

#11 of 13 Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Yeah, I'm using 1/4" polybraid. Its very sturdy and has a lot of bounce.

I'm going to guess that my zigzags were just too tight. I'll mess around with it on a piece of scrap fabric and try to figure it out. My sewing machine is automated though so I'm not sure if the numbers would be the same...I honestly have no idea what the numbers on mine mean, lol.

#12 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I took apart one diaper...took forever. The elastic is stitched through both layers of course. Anyway, I thought I'd do a quick Google search and found this tutorial: http://diaperfabric.com/how-to-repair-shot-elastic-on-a-serged-diaper-or-aio/

I think it might be a nice option, certainly better than taking three sides of a dozen or more diapers apart!

I will think some more.

Amy

#13 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM

I had some luck with washing my dipes a couple of times and drying them...I saved about 2/3 of them this way. Once you stretch them and they make that horrible ripping noise, it's too late...but washing/drying them all first straight out of storage can sometimes work!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page