Severe hip/upper buttocks pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh - this is my third pregnancy and I have never had this before - I can hardly walk. I am just dragging my left leg behind me grabbing on the furniture for support - I am so pathetic. I looked online - everything says there is nothing that can be done, and some women are in wheelchairs!! Tell me some of you have had this and it eased up after a few days? I tried Calcium Magnesium - nothing. I have resorted to Tylenol, desperate for relief - still no improvement. Any good stories to share?

Wife to wonderful DH, SAHM to DS1 (3/05), DS2(11/06), and baby boy #3 coming (3/11/10)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Sounds like sciatica. I get it, too, from time to time. And yeah - there's really NOTHING you can do for it. I have found that sitting/sleeping on a heating pad helps, but only temporarily. If you can get the baby to move, it might relieve pressure on the nerve. Believe me, I *know* how badly it hurts!

I hope it lets up for you soon!

Karen~Mom to Sarah-17, Amanda-16, Nathan-14, Robbie-12, David-7, Hannah-4 & Joshua-2
Wife to Brian since 8/11/91 heartbeat.gif I am truly blessed. heartbeat.gif

#3 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 PM

I know very little of back pain, so you can ignore this post if you want, BUT, my MW does Arvigo massage, and part of it loosens the ligaments in the pelvis that usually relieve most lower back/hip pain. Also, it helps to get baby in an optimal position, so that could help too.

Maybe do some hip stretches and see if that works?
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1936_y...s-openers.html

Much Love!
#4 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Could be false sciatica:
http://www.integrative-healthcare.or..._sciatica.html

My massage therapist has me sit on a tennis ball. It's pretty intense, but it relaxes the muscle. She also recommends varied activities...

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#5 of 9 Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 PM

I don't think it's a hopeless situation! I had problems with my 2nd and saw a chiropractor who has experience with pregnant women. She did some very gentle adjustments and also gave me stretches. Both helped a lot!!

Good luck! I hope it gets better very soon.

Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
#6 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 02:05 AM

I have occasional sharp, shooting pain on the right side of my tailbone that makes it so I can't put weight on my right leg. I went to a chiropractor for the first time yesterday and she said my right pelvic bone was slightly twisted backwards and so it was the space between my sacrum and pelvis that was causing the pain. She adjusted me but it hasn't worked yet, I'm still experiencing the same issues as before. I'm going to try going again on Monday and see what she says. Based on my experience so far I can't recommend chiro, but it's something to consider.

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#7 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had this lately too and it sucks! What I've been doing are some lunges (leg on a chair, it's easier), squats, and a few other leg exercises. It has helped tremendously! I've had problems with my left hip/buttock for weeks and it is doing so much better since I've started the exercises. It hurts to do them at first, but if you stick with them you'll get some relief.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#8 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm a physical therapist and have a tough time fixing my own sacroiliac joint pain. Obviously without an eval it is hard to say what you have, but SI joint problems are common in pregnancy with the loose ligaments.

I've done chiro and some muscle energy exercises to work on it (i've had it with all 3 pregnancies) but things are just so unstable for me in pregnancy I don't really get lasting results. You can try seeing a chiro experienced in working with pregnant women or a physical therapist specializing in pregnancy issues.

The pelvis basically has a right and left half joined by ligaments, so if it is SI joint pain, the exercises that would work for one person won't necessarily work for another, because it depends on which half of the pelvis is rotated, and whether it rotated forward/backward. So without an eval, the exercises to "fix" it could make it worse, kwim?

I know how frustrating it is....I usually get it starting at about 14 weeks, even before I have a huge belly, just due to the relaxin hormone kicking in. I feel like there are so many things I'd *like* to be doing (walking, getting
things done) but it is so hard when I'm hobbling around. And then when I do overdo things (sometimes the pain isn't so bad in the moment for me...) I pay for it sooooo badly later that night.

We're in the homestretch. I hope you can find someone to work with if you are in that much pain
#9 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 PM

DDCC from May. I have this too and it's absolutely awful. I can barely pick my right leg up to move it forward to walk-I feel like I need a cane! Carrying my toddler around while walking is virtually impossible. I was between laughing and crying at myself this morning because I went to the gym, hoping that some exercise will help and I just barely made it machine to machine. Anyway, I've had one prenatal massage and it really helped for about a week, so I'm planning on doing that again and I got a maternity support belt which seems to help a little on days that I'm working or are extra busy. I'm thinking about trying craniosacral therapy and possibly accupuncture/accupressure to help.
Good luck!

Mom to 2 amazing girlies, Feb. '08 and May '10.joy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page