Group B Strep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have my test for GBS in a week and a half. I have no idea how it might come back.

I'd really, really like to test negative.... otherwise I have to come into L&D earlier, get an IV, and there's a hospital policy question about the waterbirth.

I read that sometimes probiotics can treat GBS. I'm more than willing to try a lot of them prior to the test and prior to the baby's birth if they might help.

Does anyone have details/experience?
#2 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Hey

I tested positive but decided against the antibiotics at week 26. My sister is a Doctor and she provided me with links to show that antibiotics have not been proven sucessful.

My midwife visted last week and asked me if I would like to be re-tested I'm now 36 weeks. I have told her no as I wont be taking the drip antibiotics anyway.

I take probiotics and drink alot of water, also vitamin c. You can also try cloves of garlic aswell xxx
#3 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM

DDC,

I just bought probiotics today in hopes of getting a negative result in 5wks. GBS positive would mean going to the hospital fto have ABX before my homebirth. Blah.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#4 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

#5 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 PM

My midwife had me douche with a goldenseal douche 1xday for 7 days leading up to my 36 week apt when I got the test.

The douche recipe was: add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 capsule (or 1/2 teaspoon of powder) of goldenseal to 1 cup of warm water. Stir, let settle then strain through a coffee filter. douche. Discontinue if uterine contractions occur because of it.

He said since having people do this his rates of GBS have gone down. I haven't gotten my test back yet.

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#6 of 8 Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 AM

Don't know if it actually works, but I've been using coconut oil up there. I use it for perineal massage anyway, so I figured...

I was GBS+ last time, and I would have refused the abx if I'd gone into labor normally, but since my water broke with no sign of contrax 12 hours later, I decided on abx and pit. This time around I'm hoping to test neg, but barring that, I'll still refuse abx unless water breaks early again.

I'm not sold on abx for GBS+ in a normal labor/delivery situation.
#7 of 8 Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

I have a script for Clindamycin vaginal cream for bv, wonder if that will take care of any B strep? I've also been on a very low dose of amoxicillin for an eye infection. I'm hoping to test negative because I do not want an IV. Due to health complications I have to birth in the hospital after two previous drug-free births with a midwife so this is a big issue for me.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#8 of 8 Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM

My MW has had me on a tea tree oil sitz bath for the past 3 weeks. I test tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it works or not. She swears by it.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page