Do not shovel snow when you are 8 months pregnant - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you'd like to be able to move your body on February 12, 2010, then don't shovel a large portion of your 160' driveway while 33 weeks pregnant. On 2/12 don't complain about your SPD being really bad. Don't complain about not being able to sleep because you are too sore. You chose to shovel!

When you are shoveling and your neighbor feels the need to drive up and down her driveway 17 times with her fancy tractor plow, try not to cry. It is 20 degrees afterall, and you don't want tears and snot to freeze to your face.

Before it snows again you need to quit being cheap, suck it up and (a) buy a snowblower and get over it or (b) contract someone to plow your driveway for you.

Ouch. My body hurts!

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not even tempted!!! I waited for the neighborhood kids to come around and they finally did yesterday!

I'm in Cincinnati--where are you?

Me(34); DH (33); Now a mommy to beautiful baby boy born 3/18/10
#3 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Heh. I shoveled once (just 2" of snow) a few days ago. It wasn't too bad, but I harassed my husband until he did the next round. I have a friend who said she went into labor while shoveling snow (presumably closer to her due date than I am) so I figure I should get out of this job from here on out.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#4 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 PM

You have no idea of the rage I get while shoveling lately while dh manages to not do it or not do it in a timely manner making it impossible to use the drive and for me to walk safely on it. I've still been doing shoveling too, probably most of it this winter. You'd think everyone around would say to themselves "Omg, you're 8 months pregnant, please let me do your shoveling" but that doesn't happen.

I usually spend the rest of the day with some coffee or tea and a grain bag on my back so I feel sorta normal afterward.
#5 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Oh, my, I can't even imagine. My baby would fall right out! I can't believe your neighbor doesn't offer to plow for you.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#6 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Wow! That's terrible. I feel so lucky. I offered to even help shovel out my car on Sunday when we picked it up from the mechanic and DH just looked at me and said "Are you freaking crazy?"

Quote:
have a friend who said she went into labor while shoveling snow (presumably closer to her due date than I am) so I figure I should get out of this job from here on out.
This might be DH's motivation. He's got a big job that finishes up about 4 days before my EDD. He keeps talking to my belly saying "Stay in there, baby, stay in there..."

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#7 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM

I shovelled snow Tuesday night after working a full day. I'm due March 22. DH was home with the kiddo since schools were closed and BOY was I pissed. He's also been sick and stayed home Wednesday and today, but for God's sakes - I'm 8 months pregnant here. If I want the snow shovelled either I have to do it or pay someone to do it, because apparently DH is not going to. I'm unspeakably pissed about it when I think of it.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#8 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I did the same thing at 35 weeks pg... My lower belly region was KILLING ME for a few days afterwards!!! And it WAS freezing!!

And I kept hoping maybe it would get things moving.. but.. dangit.. no such luck!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Our neighbor isn't very nice.

DH did part of it, but our driveway is sooo long and wide enough to fit two cars on it that I didn't want him to have to do it all. DH didn't ask or expect me to, I just wanted to help out, plus I'm faster.

Honestly the shoveling itself wasn't that bad, its the pain afterwards that is hard! I'm already feeling it.

Welshwife, I'm just outside of Cleveland.

#10 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM

I hear you, its definitely tiring. Just spent 2 hours shoveling with DH, am taking a break and then will head out again. I'm in Maryland and we got almost 3 feet over the weekend and another 16 inches yesterday...most winters we just get a dusting or two, so there aren't nearly enough plows to go around, and our street has not yet been plowed once (Snow started Saturday...its now Thursday).

I'm trying to take it slow and go easy on my body, but I don't feel comfortable doing nothing because if I went into labor right now, we'd have to call one of the National Guard Humvees to get me and they would take me to the closest hospital (NOT a mama or babyfriendly place) rather than the much nicer one where my midwives deliver. So we're trying to dig out the street ourselves, and fortunately most neighbors are pitching in.

Mom to 2 Daughters born in 2010 & 2012, and someone new Nov 2015
#11 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
oh man, I'm so sorry you had to shovel. we just got 55 inches dumped on us since Saturday and there is just no way that I was going to shovel. I've actually been pretty proud at how well dh has done keeping up with it.

Karen happily married mother of 3 great children (19, 6, 5), in my last semester for my Masters in Nutrition and started a six-month internship.
#12 of 17 Old 02-12-2010, 01:36 AM

Tried to shovel a couple of times but had to stop because of the outcry. Then again, I'm 37+ weeks along and the neighbor yelling at me was the only one around with 4-wheel drive, so the default driver if I did go into labor and he did NOT want to be driving out there before they plowed...
#13 of 17 Old 02-12-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we got all the snow taken care of and now someone (minorly) egged our house last night?!?! So I guess I'll be back in the cold scrubbing egg off our garage door.

I did not sleep well last night I was so sore, but after getting up and moving around, I don't feel too bad today!

#14 of 17 Old 02-12-2010, 09:12 PM

DDC crashing. I was due in March '08 and I did the same thing . . . and have SPD too. When I went to the chiropractor complaining, she asked what the heck I did to get so out of whack . . . and when I told her . . . she laughed. And laughed and laughed.

Why on earth do we do these things??
#15 of 17 Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know! My groin has been doing so well lately and I screwed it all up again. And I knew the shoveling would mess it up!

#16 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM

THank you God for sending the nice young man to my door who offered to shovel the walk-way for $10. If I thought my DH would have a shred of guilt, which he apparently does not, I would have been disappointed that he came home while the kid was doing it. But I don't think DH would have cared if it was me at 8 months pregnant!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#17 of 17 Old 01-23-2016, 01:25 PM

Young Pregnant Woman Died Shoveling Snow At 8 Months

Please listen to my post. We are in mist of a blizzard and this morning someone I know died of a heart attack shoveling snow. She was only 18 years old and 8 months pregnant. PLEASE do not do it. A pregnant heart is already working overtime due the extra weight the body is carrying, and you do not want to put extra stress on it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page