Polyhydramnios - lots of amniotic fluid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been officially diagnosed...but it looks like I have lots of extra fluid in there. My last two checks I've measured 4cm and yesterday 5cm ahead. So I'm measuring 39cm and I'm not even 34 weeks. I feel like I should be 39 weeks and ready to have a baby! I have swollen hands and feet too that get better and worse at different points of the day.

I'm having an u/s to make sure that it's not the baby who isn't swallowing or something...but my gut says the baby's ok. My glucose screen was just perfect. Oh and my weight is insane too along with the large measuring. I've gained 40 lbs, which would be normal for me if I were term.

Dandelion leaf has been recommended to me in terms of drinking in a tea. I'm considering acupuncture... I'd really like to not have some of this fluid. It just makes me feel sooo big!

I've found some great articles/websites and having this start around 30 weeks is much better than seeing it at 20 weeks. But there are concerns about labor and birth due to extra fluid and I wonder if I'll risk out of a homebirth. Premature labor is also a concern as the uterus is just soo full. It sounds like I don't feel at the upper level of full, so that is good too.

I've done this two times before and this pregnancy at this point feels very different and not right.

I've searched the forums and found others who've gone through this, but most were from years ago.

Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 PM

I had the same thing going on around 33 weeks of pregnancy where I was measuring 39 weeks. In my case, the baby was mostly in a transverse or breech presentation so I wanted to get him flipped around so I started seeing a chiro for that every other day. I also upped my water intake to 4 litres a day...which for me is a LOT of water. I also used homeopathic Nat Mur which also seemed to help. I didn't want to go straight to dandelion root due to its potential overall diuretic effect.

I honestly don't know which of these things worked or if it was just becuase this is my 3rd baby & there's more room for EVERYTHING in my really stretchy uterus, but after about a week & 1/2 of those things I began measuring more appropriately in regards to my fundal height & I had another u/s done to remeasure my amniotic fluid & that was in a "normal" range again as well.

Hope some of this is helpful...I was pretty stressed about it as well.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM

My fluid has been measuring borderline high for the last 2 months. Today at my u/s it was at it's highest point yet, but not enough for them to put me on bedrest or anything else drastic. My level today was 21, and 25 is where they want to take action. I have never had high fluid with any of my other pregnancies, and like you I can really tell a difference in how I feel because of it. I was really hoping that I would of dropped down to normal since I am finally measuring right on time, but no such luck.
I'll be thinking of you. Make sure and update us after your u/s! Hoping you get good news.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

So I had the u/s...and fluid seems just fine. It measured 16. Baby measured right on for weeks, except the stomach was a little bigger, still ok though. Baby's weight was estimated at just over 6 lbs, which I think it on track for me...

So it's still a mystery. Why my midwife thinks I'm full of fluid, why I'm gaining like crazy, and why I'm measuring big.

Can I just be measuring big because I've gained so much? Maybe I'm just retaining fluid in other places?

Who knows...but I'm glad to see baby is doing very well.
Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM

What a good update! I bet it just has to do with baby's position. Sounds like there is no reason to worry!!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)

User Tag List