eating for one again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, I know we're not supposed to think of pregnancy as a time to eat for two. and I know that when I am breastfeeding baby still gets what I eat. but is anyone else as stoked as I am about that first post-birth meal?

I think I'm going for sushi. lots of it. and maybe I'll make a birthday cake as my birthing project. I have really limited my sugar during pregnancy, so I am more than ready for something nice and gooey, you know?

what are you looking forward to eating to celebrate your hard work and amazing achievement of bringing another person into your family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 PM

I eat very healthily but allow myself treats (and as a vegan, there's nothing that's 'off-limits' to me like raw meat or soft cheese or whatever), so I'm not necessarily looking forward to the post-baby food. I don't feel 'deprived' of anything.

But what I *AM* looking forward to is SPRING! I'm ready for fresh fruits and non-grainy tomatoes and an abundance of veggies and lots and lots of big raw meals. That's what I miss more than anything - the fresh food!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM

There is a chili dog place right across the street from the hospital..... I plan to send DH on a chili dog run as soon as the baby is born!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM

a cold cut sub... ham, salami, cheese, maybe some mortadella... here I come!!! DH already knows he has to go get one within 24 hours of the baby's birth, just like last time!!

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Well, I have been looking forward to it, because I don't enjoy eating at all. It is always associated with feeling pretty bad.

This morning, I woke up with an inspiration to have a bagel sandwich tray at the birth. Two trays -- one with sweet bagels and cream cheese and one with savory bagels with eggs, bacon, cream cheese and whatever inside.

I am going to pre-order them and have them delivered when I go into labor. In case it happens at night, I bought a bunch of back up stuff today (also bagel-themed)!

I remember a WONDERFUL, best-of-my-life sandwich that I ate right after my first child's birth. I can't wait to REALLY enjoy food again. All of my friends laugh because I have been considering the sandwich trays "essential" birth supplies.

The MW is coming this afternoon for a home visit and I am making a tasting tray of a few sandwich-y items for her and her assistant. It's so funny that I am putting so much energy into this. My DH and I got married at home (very low-key) and we didn't even have ICE. We are going to be STOCKED UP for this birth.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want a nice glass of wine... or a good beer...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Hmmm. I don't know. I've been eating sushi anyway, just not salmon or more inland swimming fish like rockfish (more likely to have parasites), but I would REALLY like a bunch of cold smoked salmon, so maybe some of that. lol The other thing I've been craving, which is completely weird because I never buy it when I'm not pregnant, is bologna. I've always liked bologna, but I think the last time I ate it was probably 2 or 3 years ago. I just don't buy lunch meats. Maybe that's what I'll have - a package of cold smoked salmon and a bologna sandwich. That sounds so good to me, but I realize that it's going to sound disgusting to probably everyone else. lol
Old 02-11-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

ohhhhhhhh beer. I forgot to mention that part that will definitely be part of my plan.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I want a nice glass of wine... or a good beer...
This is EXACTLY what I was going to say!!! My mouth waters at the thought... a good, stout beer... or a delicious, red wine to roll around over my tongue...

Oh, I cannot WAIT!!!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was going to say!!! My mouth waters at the thought... a good, stout beer... or a delicious, red wine to roll around over my tongue...

Oh, I cannot WAIT!!!!
YES! Exactly

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Beer man! All I want is a GOOD Belgian beer or a nice cider.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
YES! Exactly
So now to figure out... should I buy it ahead of time so that I have it on hand when I'm ready? Or wait a bit... since I really have no clue when this babe will be here?! (according to *my* timeline I'm 38 weeks already.. according to my midwife -- which I'm going by because I'm worried about going 'over' too far -- I'll be 38 weeks on Saturday).

While I'd love to be prepared, I might just wait... or I'll be super tempted! lol

But I'll occupy my time thinking of what I'd like... I'm trying to think of what my last glass of wine (which seems so long ago) was... I'm kind of thinking a pinot noir... hmm.....

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM

My dh has continued to buy lovely belgian beers and they taunt me. Soooooo can't wait...

ETA... I'm considering having Dh pick up a local-ish beer - Ommegang's Three Philosophers. SO wonderful. And also a good shiraz... and perhaps my favorite NY state wine - Goosewatch's Traminette (sort of Gewurtz-y... ny does best with white wines...)... so I can have my pick on "the day" and soon after...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Not really feeling deprived, but I would like to get back to food not being such a nuisance to me.
One thing I look forward to after baby, a couple of big fat margarita's with some salty chips and salsa.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM

I'll be making a chocolate cake while in labour (assuming I'll have time), for the baby's "birthday party" (this is a big highlight for the kids). My sister will bring champagne. I have no idea what we'll do for food. Depends on the time of day, I guess! Like the other vegan ladies have mentioned, there's nothing I've really been missing out on... aside from le booze.

I have a 6-pack of microbrewed beer from Vancouver (they don't sell it outside of BC, and it's seasonal, 'Winter Ale'... vanilla-y and amazing) that I have had in the pantry, waiting, since October. You best believe I'll be busting into that in my first week pp.

Busy mama to my three little lads!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Um, am I the only one who's already having the occasional [small] glass of wine??? It's great for slowing BH ctx!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Um, am I the only one who's already having the occasional [small] glass of wine??? It's great for slowing BH ctx!
I have been occasionally having a very small glass of wine. I have had sips of Dh's beer, but it's never that good... somehow pregnancy messes with my tastebuds. I want a GLASS of wine All for me!

For that matter, I had a bit of sushi last week and I eat soft cheese when I feel like it... so I don't really feel too deprived on those things.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Honestly, I don't think bits of alcohol are as bad as they're made out to be. That said, I haven't consumed any at all even if just for the stigma with family (dh gets freaked out at the thought too)... so... it's easier this way.

But other 'no-no' foods? I'm not a soft cheese fan, so that's no problem. .. but I haven't avoided anything else (um, I've never had sushi in my life... the joys of rural living). So, alcohol is the only thing I've avoided!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a bottle of wine (or two) waiting for me. I may break it open during labor, if I need to sleep.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I have been occasionally having a very small glass of wine. I have had sips of Dh's beer, but it's never that good... somehow pregnancy messes with my tastebuds. I want a GLASS of wine All for me!

For that matter, I had a bit of sushi last week and I eat soft cheese when I feel like it... so I don't really feel too deprived on those things.
Yeah, I have a sip or 2 of beer and maybe 1/2 glass of wine as well. I'm a wine lover and thought I would want it more while preg, but a couple sips usually does me good.

I can't even imagine having a sip of margarita right now. I want it, but I know it would make me sick while preg...if that makes any sense.
After baby, it's on!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 AM

I was wishing I had some wine tonight, Sayward. I had serious BH's for a long time, but DH doesn't drink wine at all and I only drink alcohol occasionally even when not pregnant, so we haven't kept any wine in the house since I've been pregnant. I almost sent him out for some, but the roads are yucky and it's cold. I think tomorrow I'll get some to have on hand, plus a bottle of champagne for the birth.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
Yeah, I have a sip or 2 of beer and maybe 1/2 glass of wine as well. I'm a wine lover and thought I would want it more while preg, but a couple sips usually does me good.

I can't even imagine having a sip of margarita right now. I want it, but I know it would make me sick while preg...if that makes any sense.
After baby, it's on!
mmmmm... love margaritas! Another to put on my list ... that'll take a while, though, to get to that one, I think.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 AM

i've been drinking here and there too. personally i don't have a problem with a 1/2 pint of beer, or a small glass of wine, but everyone else really does seem to tense up a bit when i drink, and then *I* can't enjoy it, so I've been having quite a lot less than i might otherwise. plus, my tastebuds do seem to be a bit messed up. so yeah, i guess i can't wait to have a full serving of booze and actually feel like i can enjoy it fully. i think i'll be stocking up on some microbrews. and i'm thinking i might want a couple of cocktails too.

other than that, i'm vegan, so i haven't had to restrict my diet at all. i WILL be glad to eat a full-sized portion without needing to down a handfull of tums. and i've been avoiding super spicy food for the same reason.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Oh! Good idea! I will probably try some, but normally, it *really* bothers me. Not unlike everything else that I eat or drink.

But, I would *love* to calm the constant ctx! Especially in the evening!

I don't bother with drinking or eating anything nice right now -- it is too joyless! Yes! Feel sorry for me! I am incredibly pitiful!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 02-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I haven't really followed many of the food rules (I still eat local unpasteurized milk and cheese, have had raw fish more than once....) and I will have the occasional small glass of wine or beer once in a while but I miss having cocktails.

I want a gin and tonic or something that involves campari!

but is that even okay while breastfeeding?

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 PM

My dh makes the greatest jambalaya on the weekends and I WANT SOME!! He hasn't made it in months because I just couldn't eat it anymore, it was too spicey. Basically I want to be able to eat whatever I'm in the mood for without having to either 1. decide if it's likely to make me sick, and 2. feel guilty over it if I know there are more nutritious foods I could be nourishing my tummy tenant with. Today I wanted doughnuts and I sadly thought, no, it will upset my tummy and besides, I have some nice dried fruit at home I should snack on instead. (puts head down and weeps)

And oh man could I sink a bottle of Carolan's right now, or Bailey's, or Kahlua, or... well not a whole bottle but sigh, I'd love to get a glass in each hand!

mama of Alex 10, Aeron 8, Niky 2
And now Anneliese Elena Rose 11 March 2010!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM

I pretty much eat everything I want now (I don't like alcohol and I only eat vegetarian sushi so it's not like I'm breaking all the rules.) But I am looking forward to eating SOMETHING without heartburn!

A friend of mine is a nurse at the hospital I'll be at and has told me that the post-partum floor gets wonderful meals. (They'll also let me eat in labor as long as they know I won't be getting an epidural or needing surgery!) There is a small possibility I'll ask a friend to drive over to a fast food place depending on what time of day it is and how long it will take for me to get up to post-partum.

ETA: If any of my friends from the west side (Albuquerque is divided in to west side and east side) want to come visit me at the hospital, I will ask that they stop by Krispy Kreme for me and get me some hot glazed donuts. (KK is only on the west side, conveniently near three of my friends )

Mama of three.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciga View Post

I want a gin and tonic or something that involves campari!

but is that even okay while breastfeeding?
In my experience... sure. But, as a seasoned nurser (nearly 7 years), I will say that hard liquor tends to bother me -- headaches and so.

If I were you, consider having that special kind of drink immediately after nursing Baby to increase the time b/t the drink and your next nursing.

I drink plenty of beer and vino while nursing, and I think that my children have benefited -- from me not going crazy!

And it is probably not all right for me to say so, but since this is an anonymous board...

I am an LLL Leader!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
In my experience... sure. But, as a seasoned nurser (nearly 7 years), I will say that hard liquor tends to bother me -- headaches and so.

If I were you, consider having that special kind of drink immediately after nursing Baby to increase the time b/t the drink and your next nursing.

I drink plenty of beer and vino while nursing, and I think that my children have benefited -- from me not going crazy!

And it is probably not all right for me to say so, but since this is an anonymous board...

I am an LLL Leader!

but also keep in mind, that if you haven't had much alcohol in a while, it's likely to hit you a lot harder than you expect. Soooo start with half a gin and tonic and then wait a while and see how you do. Right after both kids births, a full glass of wine really did me in, whereas normally I'm ok having a couple glasses at dinner.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM

I am looking forward to eating a full-sized meal of, well, just about ANYTHING!!!!!! My stomach has gotten so squished that I cannot eat more than a few forkfuls at one sitting. A 12" Subway turkey sub, a BIG bowl of Chicken Tikka Masala, a full meal of pasta, my homemade sauce and meatballs, salad, and garlic bread... YUM.

And I've been known to indulge in a small glass of wine and to mooch sips of DH's beer or cocktails on occasion... Looking forward to a NICE, COLD beer with some Mexican food (or, maybe a strawberry margarita... LOL)...

Karen~Mom to Sarah-17, Amanda-16, Nathan-14, Robbie-12, David-7, Hannah-4 & Joshua-2
Wife to Brian since 8/11/91 heartbeat.gif I am truly blessed. heartbeat.gif

User Tag List