% preemies not needing special care, anybody know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just because I'm an obsessive worrier, can anyone tell me what % of babies born at 35 weeks are fine with no special care whatsoever (no oxygen, no bili lights, nothing)? Anyone just happen to know this? What about 36 weeks? I've hit 35 weeks and for some reason every twinge makes me worry about PTL. I dread the possibility of my baby not being with me right away, that happened with my 2nd ds and it really messed up our early bonding. Tonight I feel crampy and generally off, I'm sure it's nothing but I worry anyway. Anyone?

mama of Alex 10, Aeron 8, Niky 2
And now Anneliese Elena Rose 11 March 2010!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightskye View Post
Just because I'm an obsessive worrier, can anyone tell me what % of babies born at 35 weeks are fine with no special care whatsoever (no oxygen, no bili lights, nothing)? Anyone just happen to know this? What about 36 weeks? I've hit 35 weeks and for some reason every twinge makes me worry about PTL. I dread the possibility of my baby not being with me right away, that happened with my 2nd ds and it really messed up our early bonding. Tonight I feel crampy and generally off, I'm sure it's nothing but I worry anyway. Anyone?

FWIW, I felt crampy and BH-y for like a month and a half before I had my son. I don't think it's unusual to feel that way toward the end of pregnancy.

Looking for statistics...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
this may or may not be useful. http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/114/5/1341

For what it's worth, my midwife is willing to start attending home births with moms who are second time moms (or later) after 36 weeks. 35 weeks appears to be the cut-off for most of the higher-care NICU needs... but then, some full term babies end up in the NICU too, you know?

i'm some sort of broken record on this hypnobabies stuff, but there's a hypnobabies "baby stay in" track that might help... I think it's like $15 or something on their website, for download? Can't hurt, anyway...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 02:59 PM

From what I've seen working in the NICU as well as having a 34, 35 and 36 weeker, the 34 and 35th weeks are the actuall the more difficult weeks for babies to be born in(as opposed to week 33). The reasoning is that those are the weeks when lungs are starting to really mature AND the baby is learning to swallow...so babies born in this window tend to have more trouble coordinating breathing/sucking/swallowing. Then there are always the temperature regulation issues as well as bili.

Once you hit 36 weeks, the suck/swallow tends to be an easier adjustment, and lungs are more likely to be mature(although it is still very possible to have breathing troubles). So there's potential temp regulation difficulties and bili issues that are left.

But to answer your original question from what I saw working in the NICU, without the betamethasone injections prior to delivery(and having time to work) I would say at 35 weeks about 80-85% of babies born will need some additional care in regards to breathing/feeding/temp/bili.

My 34 weeker spent 3 weeks in NICU, 35 weeker(after getting the betamethasone shots to mature lungs) spent 1 week in NICU, 36 weeker came home normal time, but got re-admitted for 2 days for bili.

Rose, wife to James SAHM to DD-6/01, DS-9/03, surrodaughter-1/06, DD-1/08, DD-2/25/10
#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you, that was exactly what I wanted to know! It also definitely makes me even more desperate to keep my little one in as long as possible. My ds was 38 weeks and still ended up with breathing and temp issues, so I know there are no guarantees, but at this point I can have a tiny margin of hope that if she came early she MIGHT just escape problems.

mama of Alex 10, Aeron 8, Niky 2
And now Anneliese Elena Rose 11 March 2010!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page