Is RRL tea supposed to give you more BH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ran out of my "normal" Irish breakfast tea, so I've been drinking a lot more RRL tea (sorta that time, anyway), but around the same time I've started getting a lot more BH contractions - like maybe a few an hour. Of course, within that time I've also gotten very thirsty/felt dehydrated, so maybe that's all it is...

Buuuut... is RRL supposed to give you more frequent BH contractions? I can't remember

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#2 of 15 Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well since it's a uterine toner, and BHs tone your uterus my guess is yes, but that's just a guess! I get more when I drink it regularly so at least you're not alone!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 15 Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#4 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 AM

I've been drinking it everyday and have a bunch of BH but this is baby #2 and you have more BH with each pregnancy so I thought maybe it was that since I drank it with DS too and don't remember this many BH. HMMMM
#5 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 PM

yes

Mom of 3.
#6 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 12:31 PM

My midwife actually suggested I not drink it because she said it can cause uterine "irritations" and that she wants to know whatever contractions I'm having are because they're supposed to be happening, not because of the tea. I've been having a TON of BH anyway though, lol, so I don't know what effect the tea might've had if I were drinking it.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#7 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
My midwife actually suggested I not drink it because she said it can cause uterine "irritations" and that she wants to know whatever contractions I'm having are because they're supposed to be happening, not because of the tea. I've been having a TON of BH anyway though, lol, so I don't know what effect the tea might've had if I were drinking it.
But it's been shown in a clinical trial to shorten the second stage of labor, without causing preterm labor, so what difference does it make? If it increased the risk of preterm labor that might make sense as a recommendation, but since it doesn't, whether or not you'd have the BH's in spite of the RRL is sort of irrelevant. JMO.

I have tons of BH's and I just started drinking it a few weeks ago. I haven't noticed it making mine any stronger or more frequent, but I've had soooooo many this pregnancy that I can't say I'd notice anyway.
#8 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
But it's been shown in a clinical trial to shorten the second stage of labor, without causing preterm labor, so what difference does it make? If it increased the risk of preterm labor that might make sense as a recommendation, but since it doesn't, whether or not you'd have the BH's in spite of the RRL is sort of irrelevant. JMO.

I have tons of BH's and I just started drinking it a few weeks ago. I haven't noticed it making mine any stronger or more frequent, but I've had soooooo many this pregnancy that I can't say I'd notice anyway.
To be honest, I didn't really look into it much. I didn't drink it in my first pregnancy and didn't really plan to this time, but I asked her opinion in case she thought I should be drinking it. She didn't say not to drink it because of increased BH, she said it could cause "uterine irritation" and didn't think it was necessary. Since I wasn't gung-ho about drinking it, I didn't argue any opposing side.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#9 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM

I just had a cup of RRL tea a bit ago after a few days of not having it, and boy I have been having a ton of BHs. I do not normally get many, so my guess is it's the tea.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#10 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 PM

hm... I might just have to go make some now (I'm kinda sporadic on when I drink it.. for days I'll be really good about drinking it.. then kinda forget...)... I'll go for some uterine irritation...

(I know babies come when they're ready... but.. I've tried the gentle approach to making conditions favorable for this baby to come out... now I think it's time to shake things up more so he/she feels like it's time to come out NOW! lol .. besides.. I'm 39 weeks.. it's not like I'm early or anything)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#11 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well, to be fair, I was drinking a pot of it a day... so like probably three big mugs of it? all from the same teabag, though... but today I didn't have any and I'm actually getting more contractions than before. I'm not sure what to think.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#12 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 PM

I bet it's just a coincidence then. I've been drinking about, oh, I don't know, a quart a day for the last couple of weeks. I've been having BH's since week 17 and they've slowly gotten stronger, but there wasn't a big jump when I kicked up the RRL, yk? Prior to the last couple of weeks, I was just drinking maybe 2 cups a day and it was a pregnancy mix with RRL. Then about 2 weeks ago I started doing full strength, STRONG tea from loose leaves. I honestly haven't noticed a change. I drank it strong with DD, too, and I didn't ever feel BH's with her.
#13 of 15 Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, this was the "pregnancy tea", not full on RRL. Hmm... I'm only barely 36 weeks... I wonder if I should be concerned.

You'd think I'd never been through this before, but I totally can't remember feeling crampy like this for that long before I had my last. Well, maybe it was a month... ugh, I just can't remember. I've always had a lot of BH, but the crampy/menstrual-y ones I had last night along with the increased frequency sort of has me... concerned.

#14 of 15 Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 AM

Maybe... Then again I've heard people say drinking this helps them go into labor and help keep contractions going.

For me, it does absolutely nothing..

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#15 of 15 Old 02-21-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

It never helped for me either previously

I ended up calling my midwife about the cramping - she said it's totally normal and a good sign that my body's gearing up... which seems about right, I guess.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page