Lurker- needs help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've been lurking here pretty much my whole pregnancy...
I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question!
I am 37-38 weeks along, and my oldest son (6) was just diagnosed with the flu. Figures!! I decided against the vaccines- I just felt too wary about those, and of course, now I'm regretting that. My doctor recommended a course of Tamiflu as a preventative. My neighbor (an NP at an OB office) says she recommends Tamiflu and since my baby is "cooked" it won't bother her.

So- with all that information... I'm wondering, would you take the Tamiflu to prevent yourself getting the flu?

Thank you for all your help!

Jeannie
DD (8), DS (6), DS (2), Due early March
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 PM

I, personally, would. It's the current recommended "best practice" according to the CDC. But then, I also opted for the vaccine. Your lung capacity is diminished, so it's very hard to clear your lungs efficiently and you're at higher risk of complications from the flu. Having just watch a niece (previously healthy!) spend two weeks on a ventilator from pneumonia, I'm even more wary of how serious flu complications can be. Also, I have a cough from a run of the mill cold virus -- not the flu-- and I'm miserable right now. At its worst, it kept me from sleeping through the night (not that I ever REALLy sleep well during pregnancy, but I got a lot less sleep with the cough and needing to run to the bathroom to empty my bladder and avoid peeing the bed when I cough!) and right now I have a pulled muscle in my abdomen from the strain of coughing. The worst part of coughing is the sharp, shooting pain and constant ache from that muscle. And did I mention urinary stress incontinence? It's a mere annoyance, I suppose, but you don't need any more of those at this stage of pregnancy.

So, yeah, in the end you have to figure out what feels right for you and it really isn't up for popular vote. If I were in your shoes, though, I'd do it.
#3 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't because tamiflu just isn't that effective from what I've read. If it were me, I'd be eating a lot of raw garlic and taking cod liver oil and vitamin C to hopefully ward it off, but i'm averse to pharmaceuticals for most reasons, and my mom always ends up with the "weird" one-in-a-million side effect, so they scare me since I wouldn't wanna chance that.

Hope he feels better soon (and you don't get it).

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
So, I've been lurking here pretty much my whole pregnancy...
I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question!
I am 37-38 weeks along, and my oldest son (6) was just diagnosed with the flu. Figures!! I decided against the vaccines- I just felt too wary about those, and of course, now I'm regretting that. My doctor recommended a course of Tamiflu as a preventative. My neighbor (an LPN at an OB office) says she recommends Tamiflu and since my baby is "cooked" it won't bother her.

So- with all that information... I'm wondering, would you take the Tamiflu to prevent yourself getting the flu?

Thank you for all your help!

Jeannie
DD (8), DS (6), DS (2), Due early March

Here's the best I can do as far as data on efficacy (which Juvysen brought up). As prophylaxis (preventative), the tamiflu will reduce your chances of coming down with the flu by 58%. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16443037

As a treatment for the flu, it reduces the duration/severity of symptoms http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10866439 and complications http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12885681

It's not a cure-all, but not a placebo either.
#5 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's also an israeli study that found tamiflu to be as effective as elderberry... I wonder if elderberry is ok for pregnancy...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#6 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
There's also an israeli study that found tamiflu to be as effective as elderberry... I wonder if elderberry is ok for pregnancy...
Yep it is.
My MIL went elderberry picking in the fall, and made us a bunch of juice that I've been drinking on occasion.

Busy mama to my three little lads!
#7 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 AM

In addition to what others have said I've BTDT! With DS2 my family got hit with the flu in his first month of life. Little guy didn't even get the sniffles because he was nursing and proctected with mama immunities at that point. I hope it ends up being nothing to worry about for your family as it turned out with mine.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#8 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Personally, I would. And the sooner the better (it's more effective the earlier you take it). Even at 50% efficacy I would do it. Having the flu (the true flu) has some significant risks for pregnant women, esp in the third trimester and especially for those that go into labor. I've also heard from some people that if they take Oscillococcinum (it's everywhere now-even Walmart I think) right away they can ward off the flu. I'd do both. But that's me! Crossing fingers you stay well and your daughter gets better. PS I did have the vaccine in December myself.
#9 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 01:16 PM

I would skip it myself.

I made elderberry syrup from dried elderberry's and it was soo easy. You can watch a youtube video on how to make it.

Stay well rested, get LOTs of fluids in, good foods and stay away from sugar until all is clear it can really hinder your immune system.

Mom of 3.
#10 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 03:48 PM

I would stay away from the Tamiflu....no it's not as dangerous at this point for the baby as say it would have been months ago but there are just as many reports out there to say it is unsafe for ADULTS as there are claiming it to be safe so why take the chance for a baby in utero?

I would go with high doses of vitamin c with bioflavanoids (at least 2 grams a day if your digestive system tolerates it...more if you can...by toleration I mean, if it brings on loose stools, you are over toleration level...everyone is different) LOTS of Vitamin D3 (yes, at least 3-4 grams a day...perhaps more for a few days) and of course increase your liquids (water) intake. I've heard good things about the other natural remedies mentioned in previous posts, but not to the extent as the vitamins... Best Wishes! For what it's worth, my husband came down with a 24 hour bug and my kids did once too during this pregnancy and taking the vitamin d3 (2-3 grams a day) throughout my pregnancy seems to have done the trick...I have never had a healthier pregnancy! Most people go by the FDA guidelines for C and D...those guidelines are only to ward off severe diseases like Rickets, etc....not how much we need for it to do the best job.

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page