heart burn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I might have had heartburn when I was pg last time but I now realize that I have never actually had it until now. OMG- It is horrible!!! If this is what babies with reflux feel like I feel so bad for them.

Does anyone have tried and true remedies? I tried papaya enzyme and tums. Last night I had to sleep propped up almost upright. Awful. At this point, I knw it is temporary so I'll try anything. Natural or medicine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Sometimes either the apple cider vinegar 'tea' with honey (say, 1 tbsp acv in hot water) or a pinch of baking soda in water help, sometimes not.

Zantac is okay during pregnancy too, if it's really bad.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM

I use the generic form of zantac. None of the natural stuff, nor tums, worked at night so I had to go medicinal. It works well and is category B (safe in pregnancy).
Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadBuddy View Post
I use the generic form of zantac. None of the natural stuff, nor tums, worked at night so I had to go medicinal. It works well and is category B (safe in pregnancy).
Ditto. Diet alteration also helps, but in the end, Zantac (well, generic zantac -- ranitidine) is my savior.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:39 PM

I used ginger tea in the beginning....it's supposed to be more for nausea but it seemed to help both for me...worth a shot? I just put a hunk of ginger (about the size of half your thumb) into a cup of boiled water and let steep...add a sweetner of your choice....yum...very soothing... good luck!

I haven't had any indegestion since about 14 weeks....woke up the other night with some though...it was weird...first time I've ever had indigestions and felt like I was STARVING at the same time!

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM

It's unberable.

I used to work with this guy who like disgusting. Always burping. We used to talk about how gross it was to be in a meeting with him. I had to work fairly closely with him. Anyway, serves me right for juding because I AM that guy now. I'm like gross - the burping, the heartburn - b-a-a-a-a-pppp. Long drawn out burps. I'm so gross.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:02 PM

I have been taking rantidine also. I am a non medicine lover, especially during pg and bfing, but this heartburn was horrific. Everytime I turned over at night it would wake me up, so I was not sleeping at all. I would have to breathe through the heartburn to prevent myself from throwing up too. Gross.
I can normally get away with just talikng one tablet a day, but sometimes have to take 2.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM

I pop tums like they are candy some days. I cut back on acidic foods and that seems to help a bit.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

I take Rolaids as needed. Luckily for me, one seems to do the trick most of the time and they work quickly. I chose Rolaids over Tums because the Tums I could find here had lots of additives and artificial colour/flavour and I found some Rolaids that didn't have all of that in it. I tried the acv and baking soda but neither really did much for me once the heartburn started to get bad.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 PM

UGH! Sorry to hear about your heartburn woes! My heartburn was so terrible a couple of weeks ago that it scarred my throat and made swallowing food impossible. It was like my throat had just forgotten how to work or something. I was taking tums at the time but they just were not working and I had also heard that they can mess with your placenta so my OB gave me a prescription for Protonix. It works very well. I have not had a problem with really bad heartburn since I started taking it.

I hope you get some relief!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM

I find that I'm better if I avoid baked goods and chocolate.

Milk is my saving grace. It really helps to put out the fire, for me at least.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post

Yep, milk is super helpful for some people and it is definitely worth a try. For other people, it can exacerbate the problems. Milk + tums + avoiding trigger foods (acidic fruits and juices, coffee, very fatty or spicy foods, etc.) was enough for my first three pregnancies. This time those steps just weren't enough!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

The ONLY food that makes me even slightly happy is citrus. I'm so bummed if that is the culprit. I think I am going out soon to buy some Zantac. Ugh.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deir View Post
The ONLY food that makes me even slightly happy is citrus. I'm so bummed if that is the culprit. I think I am going out soon to buy some Zantac. Ugh.
citrus is evil. It's probably the culprit. Even WITH the zantac I have to be careful about orange juice.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My VERY WORST trigger is salty foods. It's gross, but I did fix ramen once.. and I wanted to PUKE afterwards from the heartburn.. it was The Worst Ever.

Citrus doesn't bother me though

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
citrus is evil. It's probably the culprit. Even WITH the zantac I have to be careful about orange juice.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean View Post
My VERY WORST trigger is salty foods. It's gross, but I did fix ramen once.. and I wanted to PUKE afterwards from the heartburn.. it was The Worst Ever.

Citrus doesn't bother me though
Noooooooooooooooo! I also like salty food.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Okay.. I did laugh out loud... but didn't mean to

I do still eat salty things and some don't affect me as much... so.. I guess maybe I haven't completely determined any rhyme or reason to it all?!?

For me, this is what I've determined for causing my heartburn: Eating.

lol... seriously though, it seems that just eating anything pretty much causes problems...

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 PM

I'm a big fan of generic Zantac. My first pregnancy I took nothing but baking soda and Gaviscon. Papaya enzyme did absolutely nothing for me. I spent the last month of my pregnancy throwing up 2-3x per day from the heartburn. There were days I could barely speak. I have no clue why I never said anything to my doctor, or bothered to take anything else.

With this pregnancy and the last I started on the generic Zantac as soon as the baking soda stopped working. Once I need two Zantac and a baking soda chaser I go to the Prilosec. I only needed it for about 3 weeks my last pregnancy. I went to the Prilosec the other day and so far I've only needed one about every other day.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryseis View Post
I'm a big fan of generic Zantac. My first pregnancy I took nothing but baking soda and Gaviscon. Papaya enzyme did absolutely nothing for me. I spent the last month of my pregnancy throwing up 2-3x per day from the heartburn. There were days I could barely speak. I have no clue why I never said anything to my doctor, or bothered to take anything else.

With this pregnancy and the last I started on the generic Zantac as soon as the baking soda stopped working. Once I need two Zantac and a baking soda chaser I go to the Prilosec. I only needed it for about 3 weeks my last pregnancy. I went to the Prilosec the other day and so far I've only needed one about every other day.
What was your dose? 75 or 150? I just bought the 75 and took it so we'll see how tonight goes.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deir View Post
What was your dose? 75 or 150? I just bought the 75 and took it so we'll see how tonight goes.
I always buy the 75 and start with just one. For some bizarre reason (and that reason may all be in my head ) I just think that the 150 doesn't work; that 2 75's work much better.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
Old 02-20-2010, 11:46 AM

i've been getting heart burn off and on all pregnancy. i'm a huge fruit lover, there was no way i was cutting that out. but i did stop eating a lot of tomato based foods and that really seemed to help. juice is bad too, especially apple, and i find that soups can be a trigger (basically lots of liquids that are somewhat acidic). anyway, tums is usually enough, but i find soymilk is a really nice remedy too, if you don't drink milk.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post
i've been getting heart burn off and on all pregnancy. i'm a huge fruit lover, there was no way i was cutting that out. but i did stop eating a lot of tomato based foods and that really seemed to help. juice is bad too, especially apple, and i find that soups can be a trigger (basically lots of liquids that are somewhat acidic). anyway, tums is usually enough, but i find soymilk is a really nice remedy too, if you don't drink milk.
nooooooooooooooooo! I love tomatoes and juice!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post

I find that I also get heartburn when I'm hungry (like right now). I have been battling unbearable heartburn for at least a month. I had never even had heartburn before- so weird!!! If I lay down to sleep, I wake up choking on vomit. I even accidentally puked in bed a few weeks ago...

Here are the things that work for me:

1. Never eating w/ in 2 hours of bedtime.
2. Finishing every meal with a glass of milk.
3. Sleeping very elevated, on my back (about 45 degrees). The good news there is that if you're elevated, you don't have to worry about the pressure on your artery. I'm a back sleeper, so that's nice.
4. Tums. I know they're not ideal, but at 3 a.m., it's the only thing that works.
5. Eating small meals every couple of hours. Good news there is that I have been eating oranges like they're going out of style. As long as it's an orange, and not juice, I'm okay. It's really sugar that's a problem for me- breads and sweets, mostly. Toast with butter and honey about came back up this a.m.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif

User Tag List