newborn screening tests? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm looking at these metabolic and hearing screening test options and just curious what any of you ladies have decided to do.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#2 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think there are options in my state. With both our homebirth and hospital birth we did a heel stick a couple days after the birth. I expect the same again...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 12:42 PM

We do both tests.

The tests catch very treatable things that could otherwise be devastating. A very close friend of mine's daughter was born with no thyroid and the test caught that. It is a 1 in 30,000 chance of that thyroid condition but because it was caught she is a normal healthy girl because she was given medication in a timely manner.

As for the hearing test. It helps catch deafness or problems early on so decisions can be made about what course to go ahead with.

Our family is especially encouraged to get the test as my husbands grandfather was born with a conditon in which the bones in his left ear did not function and couldn't carry sound waves. It is something that now a days is easily fixed.

My son failed the inital screen so had to go for a more involved test but was fine. I was worried because he shared so many little genetic things with his grandpa. Tounge tie and hernia but his hearing is fine (although these days I sometimes doubt it when I call and call him and he doesn't listen but it is because he is 2

Good luck with whatever you decide.
#4 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oohh... i missed your question on the hearing test. We did that when Dd was born in the hospital (b/c we just did whatever they wanted), but at home w/Ds, we didn't.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM

We do the metabolic testing, but skip the hearing test. I figure it is a simple heel stick, and it catches so many treatable things with that one stick, it's worth it. So many of those conditions are life-threatening if not treated, it is the one test I am ok with. We skip pretty much everything else since we home birth, but that one is easily done.
#6 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM

We did both with dd (hospital birth) but only the metabolic test with ds (homebirth.) This baby (another hospital birth) we'll do both.

Mama of three.

#7 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I don't think there are options in my state. With both our homebirth and hospital birth we did a heel stick a couple days after the birth. I expect the same again...
I don't think there are options here either. I think CPS will take the baby from you if you won't consent to the heel stick.

I don't see the harm in either test, other than unnecessary parental concern from a false positive. Yes, the heel stick is a needle, but when properly performed (heel warmed, baby at breast) the babe probably won't even notice.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#8 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 PM

It's the one test we'll likely do (the heel prick). We had it with DD and the midwife doing it was from Germany, where it's not routine, and wasn't sure what she was doing. She ended up having to prick her three times. It didn't bother her at all the first two and I nursed her through it, but the third time she started to really fuss and kick and I basically told the midwife just to send what she had and if it wasn't enough we'd worry about it then (or not, as the case may be). It ended up being enough anyway. The midwife who would be doing it this time has done it many many times and I'm anticipating one try will be enough and it won't bother the baby. If it does seem to bother him/her a lot, I probably will just tell my midwife to forget it and not worry about it. She's a-okay with that and says it's pretty common for parents to take that route here.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#9 of 11 Old 02-19-2010, 05:03 PM

I love hearing other mamas' opinions on things like this. I haven't even checked on stuff like this.. sheesh .. (first non-hospital birth for me!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#10 of 11 Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Though we have the option to decline anything and everything, I will probably end up doing it. My concern is mostly about whether it will hurt or not. My husband's view is that anything that makes the baby cry is no good and I'm having a hard time not feeling that way too but if it can be done with minimal discomfort to my tiny little baby then...

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#11 of 11 Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 AM

ciga I don't remember DD crying about her newborn blood screening, she barely noticed. I think they took it out of her hand too, which has got to be worse.

Definitely doing the blood test again, though we'll have to go into the pediatrician to do it since we're having a home birth. The disorders it can catch are just so devastating and catching them right away can prevent death and disability. Not sure what we have to do to get the hearing test done, but we'll find a way to do that too.

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page