We don't have a name - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else without a baby name yet???
First it was Vivian.....then it was Arianna.... the last few months its been Samantha..... but everyone is calling her 'baby sammy' and it makes my skin crawl. (no offence to any babies out there named sammy) I just DONT want her called sammy and no one is listening....
I've stuck with each name for months, then pretty randomly I change my mind....

I've been thinking Claire..... it was going to be the middle name regardless of the first because its my grandmothers middle name (her first was vivian).....
or Charlotte.... DP likes both of them....
or Madeline..... I like maddy as a nickname.... (don't care for nick names, but this one is good)

My girls are Evelyn and Audrey, my son is Nathan.... I want one that fits in with the 'type' of names they have, if that makes sense.... and one that isn't automaticially going to become a nick name....

I may just wait till she's born to decide......

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#2 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 02:48 AM

I really like Vivian Claire.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#3 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 02:51 AM

I like Claire and Charlotte FWIW. I understand your frustration with people already 'naming' the baby before you have officially decided. I kinda feel names are subject to change until I write the name down and send in the paperwork! I have just recently (as in the last two weeks) decided on a name for this baby but like you with Samantha I am afraid people will shorten her name to something I really don't like. Just have a list and see what looks best when that baby is born!
#4 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 03:00 AM

Saw this on new posts. We changed DD2's name at 3 months and didn't pick one for DD3 until she was a week old. Like you we had a million picked for each (late 3rd tri choices ) and I didn't want an instant nickname. No harm in waiting (though I understand the frustration)!

What about Amelia? I think it sounds nice with Claire.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#5 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 AM

I am a Samantha and I can't stand being called Sammy, ever. I tolerate Sam from my family and close friends. We haven't settled on a name yet for this LO and we also took a week to name DS #1, though he is a Sam now . DH wants to name this kid Shlomo.... he wanted to name our last DS Moses, this is going to take some "talking" ! I love the name Claire, it's very pretty and it does go well w/ your other DC's names.

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#6 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 AM

A name will fit when you hold that baby in your arms....until then I wouldn't even tell people what you were thinking....that's why hubby and I have only shared our possible names with a select few...the name is what YOU want it to be , not those other people and if you don't want a nickname used, then politely tell them, "Her name is Samantha(if that's what you choose), NOT Sammy....please don't call her by any other name as I don't want her confused...." and stick to it....it may take a few times with some stubborn people, but will work.

BEST WISHES! FWIW, I think all your names are beautiful.... I love my girls name but am still a little unsure of that boys name....waiting for that little face to give me an answer!

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#7 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM

I haven't decided on a name either. I don't like it. I *knew* each of my girls' names early on and this is driving me crazy. *sigh*

I really like Charlotte and Madeline. Both very pretty!
#8 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM

I love all your names, so Baby is going to have a pretty name no matter what.

We haven't picked a name of either gender.

So far, we have "Mario" "Luigi" "Darth Vader" and "blehbleh". The good news is that these names work for a boy *or* a girl.

My #2DS is Peter, which is my most favorite name in the world, and up until his birth, we thought we would have to name him "Buzz Lightyear" so there is a tiny ray of hope for this baby!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#9 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 AM

We don't have a name yet either. My strategy, and this worked well with my son, was to come up with a short list of potential names and then settle on one after the baby is born. You have a bit of time to decide (depends on where you are birthing, too-- for instance I think hospitals like to have a name within 24 hours). For my son, once I saw him and held him, it was obvious whch name off my short list was his.

That said, we still run the potentials by friends and family (mainly bc my husband is hindu and I like to see how american folks will pronounce the hindu names). But the ultimate decision is up to us, after the birth.

I still consider myself behind on the name choosing though-- I haven't come up with my short lists yet

[FONT="Verdana"]Kate, mom to S(6/07) and Y(3/10)
#10 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No name here either. I can't find anything I like, so you're ahead of me! I dread not having a name picked...or have one that I don't really love.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#11 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM

We have a name but I'm prefectly happy to change it if it doesn't fit him. Still we haven't told anyone the name we've picked for that reason. I got a lot of questions with my second when the name he'd been give during pregnancy ended up being thrown out.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#12 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 11:42 AM

I LOVE the names you're considering!! (I'm partial to Claire... my dd2s name is Katherine Clare)

We don't have names. For either gender (since we don't know). The only thing I KNOW is that we HAVE to meet this little one in order to name him/her. I can feel it. For whatever reason, this LO is being very mysterious in revealing gender (NO CLUE.. only one gender-specific dream, but NO intuitional thoughts) and with that will come a name. So, it all just makes me more anxious/excited to actually MEET him/her!!

Good luck!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#13 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 PM

At least you have some names under consideration. We haven't thought of a single name for either boy or girl, and I can't get DH to have a serious conversation about it. DD1 was 3 days old before she had a name because DH changed what he liked. DS2 was 8 days old because DH changed his mind the week before the birth, and neglected to share that bit of information with me. I am trying not to be stressed about it, but I am really ready to at least get a short list together. FWIW, I am 35.5 weeks.
#14 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a boy name, but it still doesn't feel like *the* name... but *the* name is a very clear girl's name... still... and I'm still not convinced it's a boy.

<-- issues.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#15 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 01:33 PM

We don't have a name or a list really. My husband is set on Syndjra if it's a girl, but I don't see it fitting this baby. Nothing sounds good at this point and I want it to means something nice, so I'm picky in that way. My son came up with Sofina at random the other day, that sounds OK. Really I think we'll just wait and see and take out time.

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#16 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 PM

d

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#17 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms7z View Post
We don't have a name yet either. My strategy, and this worked well with my son, was to come up with a short list of potential names and then settle on one after the baby is born.
Same here. That's what we did with DD, and she was named the day after she was born. I didn't realize it bothered anyone until MIL called DH the other day and told him how awful it was that we didn't have a name yet; how the baby would be like DD and would feel unloved because it didn't have a name (yes, DD feels so unloved because we named her 20 hours after she was born ). That was the first I heard that they thought it was a big deal, although I knew they were, for some odd reason, irritated that they didn't know the name before the baby was born.

We have a list. We'll pick one after it's born, although at this time it's looking like it might be something not even on the list anyway, since we don't really love them. lol
#18 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Nope, nothing settled yet here.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#19 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 04:05 PM

No name. Boy due on March 22.

Very complicated. Were settled DH's father first name for a middle name, but that sort of starts to spell a word when you factor in the last name, so it limited choices of a first name. Then DH's brother passed away this fall, so now DH wants to incorporate that. But BIL already has a son exactly named after him. So now DH is trying to use either his fathers or his brothers initials.

DH is supposed to come up with the name, but I have veto power. Like everything else, he is just NOT on the ball!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#20 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 PM

I love all the names you are considering.

We have a boy name, but can't nail down a girl name. If it ends up being a girl, it will take us at least a day to get it figured out.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#21 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 AM

We don't have names either. And we need a boy name AND a girl name. We're starting from scratch again.
#22 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post

So far, we have "Mario" "Luigi" "Darth Vader" and "blehbleh". The good news is that these names work for a boy *or* a girl.

My #2DS is Peter, which is my most favorite name in the world, and up until his birth, we thought we would have to name him "Buzz Lightyear" so there is a tiny ray of hope for this baby!
LOL. Those are the kinds of names that come up here when we try to have baby name conversation. Plus Hobbit names and names from Russian literature from my husband, and Harry Potter names my older two girls. Fun times.

My four year old was named after she was born, at the hospital. Did you know that the nurse's station in the maternity ward has baby name books?
#23 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM

We have two girl's names narrowed down, but won't pick one until after baby comes. If baby is a boy, well, he will be nameless for a while I expect. Unless one of the names on our long list suddenly jumps out at us both. And for some reason I think baby is a boy this time so... DH was Baby Boy Wilson for 3 weeks though.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#24 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
LOL. Those are the kinds of names that come up here when we try to have baby name conversation. Plus Hobbit names and names from Russian literature from my husband, and Harry Potter names my older two girls. Fun times.
A friend of ours kept suggeting Leinenkugel (we like beer!)

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#25 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM

I don't have a name yet either. There is a name I'm considering, but the first and middle initials would be O.J. Is that inappropriate?

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#26 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroHill View Post
I don't have a name yet either. There is a name I'm considering, but the first and middle initials would be O.J. Is that inappropriate?
Ds's First and last initials are O.J. I was sort of worried about it at first, but *shrug* It was a joke, like, twice? and by the time he's old enough to get picked on or something, I'm doubting OJ will be an issue.

ETA... although, if your last name is Simpson, it may be awkward

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#27 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Ds's First and last initials are O.J. I was sort of worried about it at first, but *shrug* It was a joke, like, twice? and by the time he's old enough to get picked on or something, I'm doubting OJ will be an issue.

ETA... although, if your last name is Simpson, it may be awkward
Nah just change his last name to Tropicana!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#28 of 32 Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post

"Buzz Lightyear" is in the running for my babe!!! No clue about names...I'm making a big list to take with me to the hospital. But I'm hoping the babe comes out with it's name tattooed on it's bum.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#29 of 32 Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

wow... glad to hear I'm not the only one....
I think i'm gunna do what some suggested and have a short list and wait till she's born.... I usually want the name picked out, cause I'm a planner.... but I don't feel the rush......
Thanks for the suggestions....
I'm partial to claire.... and amelia claire was a serious thought very early on...

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#30 of 32 Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM

I've got my names ready, although the middle names aren't solid. Gareth Elliot if a boy, Annelise something-or-other for a girl. Dh has the attention span of a flea with head trauma when it comes to names and keeps going off anything we agree on (driving me crazy).

I think Amelia Claire is lovely. Madeline Claire is also a lovely choice.

mama of Alex 10, Aeron 8, Niky 2
And now Anneliese Elena Rose 11 March 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page