*very* unorthodox induction methods - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forget castor oil and sex. Here is how we try to entice Baby to come out.

-take a trip to Costco and threaten to climb into the jacuzzi displays and have the baby there. Maybe it is the value hotdogs at Costco that make baby come. Whatever. It works! (we are going there today! DH renewed our lapsed membership specifically for induction purposes!)

-watch Survivor and give Baby immediate privileges to watch with us (the big kids have to go to bed!)

-give up on labor *ever* happening. Resign yourself to being pregnant forever.

How will you make Baby come out?

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#2 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
I think I'm here. ... (insert half of a laugh...haha)

Here's my unorthodox induction method of the day:

-- Wear heels to mass. I have to cantor (lead the singing) at church this morning. And, snow and pregnancy be damned (I'm 39+weeks), I'm wearing my new heels (they're just more of 'pumps' but totally, totally cute). So.. between snow, singing and being in front of a lot of people.. something's BOUND to happen..... RIGHT?!?!?

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#3 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:

I've basically determined that baby has decided never to leave my womb. Man, that's going to get uncomfortable in a few months...

Busy mama to my three little lads!
#4 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

that's what worked with Ds. I gave up and expected to be pregnant for another two weeks (past my due date) and then end up with castor oil... but he came only 2 days past his due date... much to my shock.

Either that or it was the whole pineapple i ate the night before (boy, that's rough on the mouth but DELICIOUS ) Or possibly the EPO, but I'd been using that for weeks on and off with no real effect...

This one, so far i've tried the crying/begging thing... no luck so far...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 PM

This is me! And I feel guilty hitting that point already (I'm only 38w and a few days) but this is officially my longest pregnancy to date and we've had at least four different instances now where we really thought that day was going to be "it" and every time, it's eventually tapered off.

My next induction technique is going to be RSVPing yes to a friend's daughter's 5th birthday party for next weekend, two hours away--I figure if the combination of being that far from home alone with both of the girls and no husband isn't tempting fate, nothing's going to work.

mel, silly mama to cordelia (9), emmeline (8),
leone (2), & arthur (born 1.17.2013)

#6 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
that's what worked with Ds. I gave up and expected to be pregnant for another two weeks (past my due date) and then end up with castor oil... but he came only 2 days past his due date... much to my shock.

Either that or it was the whole pineapple i ate the night before (boy, that's rough on the mouth but DELICIOUS ) Or possibly the EPO, but I'd been using that for weeks on and off with no real effect...

This one, so far i've tried the crying/begging thing... no luck so far...

dude...i am a total masochist when it comes to pineapple. i eat it till my tongue and mouth are burning every time. but the burn makes the sweet that much better!!!

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#7 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
dude...i am a total masochist when it comes to pineapple. i eat it till my tongue and mouth are burning every time. but the burn makes the sweet that much better!!!
I know! I can't stop myself. mmmmmm

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#8 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM

I am the opposite right now. I have STUFF to do and DH has STUFF at work too. Every night I sit here with my knitting or sewing project getting BH ctx and I beg baby to stay in till March 10th.

Please baby I want you to be your own person but be like your brother in this one respect, come at 40 weeks. Heck I am even ok with 41 but that is it, let's not get crazy!
#9 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 02:09 PM

With my daughter, I put on black leggings and a black shirt and pumped up some Tina Turner upstairs with my door locked and danced danced danced then the next morning I was 4 cm dilated and so when I got home I ran to the playground across the street with my son (running at that huge is so funny). I played on the swing set and tried to jog a little more and my that evening I had my little baby.
This time around I figure after I get all the piles of laundry done and my room cleaned I will try some dancing and maybe a bit of running although I am a hippo this time around.

Mother of 6 year old boy and 2 year old girl and one on the way.
#10 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMommy View Post
With my daughter, I put on black leggings and a black shirt and pumped up some Tina Turner upstairs with my door locked and danced danced danced then the next morning I was 4 cm dilated and so when I got home I ran to the playground across the street with my son (running at that huge is so funny). I played on the swing set and tried to jog a little more and my that evening I had my little baby.
This time around I figure after I get all the piles of laundry done and my room cleaned I will try some dancing and maybe a bit of running although I am a hippo this time around.
That would be so painful for me. I tried to scoot my chair forward yesterday and my big pendulous belly tried to fly off (ouch!)

Sounds fun, though, if it doesn't hurt!

#11 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMommy View Post
With my daughter, I put on black leggings and a black shirt and pumped up some Tina Turner upstairs with my door locked and danced danced danced then the next morning I was 4 cm dilated and so when I got home I ran to the playground across the street with my son (running at that huge is so funny).

Holy toledo, woman, I don't know how you did all that. It's about all I can do to waddle to the bathroom!

I'm only 36w 3d now so not ready to hurry anything along. But if I could just know she'd be fine...oh lord I'm so done with being pregnant!

mama of Alex 10, Aeron 8, Niky 2
And now Anneliese Elena Rose 11 March 2010!
#12 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_juice View Post
I am the opposite right now. I have STUFF to do and DH has STUFF at work too. Every night I sit here with my knitting or sewing project getting BH ctx and I beg baby to stay in till March 10th.

Please baby I want you to be your own person but be like your brother in this one respect, come at 40 weeks. Heck I am even ok with 41 but that is it, let's not get crazy!
I'm with you. There are class plays and band concerts and a zillion other obligations that are just a lot easier to fulfill with baby still on the inside.

I'm due 3/8, and if I could schedule myself to go into labor, it would be on 3/13, no sooner.
#13 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM

I dance, dance, DANCED yesterday in the kitchen to .. um... songs with inappropriate lyrics, but they were so dang fun (just songs I wouldn't let my kids listen to.. just the Sirius Hits 1 station..lol) and I had a great time.. but...

*sigh* .. still. no. baby.

Even after wearing heels in the snow to church! And singing (so on my feet most of mass)! AND, I almost slipped on the ice (I was getting into the van.. but instead of using some gravitational pull, I just barely made it onto the seat -- but not without feeling like I split my pelvis in half ... and THAT was a great feeling.. ugh!).

I guess more dancing is in order! This babe is quite active at the moment.

I figured I've done my time with more gentle, "Hey, come out, baby!" techniques... it's time to pull out the big guns and just irritate it...lol (and of course, I mean this in the very nicest way!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#14 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Well, if last time is any indication, I guess I should have the midwife check me, tell me the baby is at a -3 or -4 station, I'm not effaced at all, I'm not dilated at all, and it will be a at least a couple more weeks before I go into labor, so she's going on vacation tomorrow. That did the trick last time, as my water broke about 12 hours later and contractions started (without induction) 7 hours after that. DD was a 38 weeker and I'm almost 36 weeks now. I would love this baby to be done cooking at 37 weeks, since that's when DH is on spring break, so maybe I should have the midwives do that run through with me next week. lol
#15 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:

-take a trip to Costco and threaten to climb into the jacuzzi displays and have the baby there. Maybe it is the value hotdogs at Costco that make baby come. Whatever. It works! (we are going there today! DH renewed our lapsed membership specifically for induction purposes!)
Thanks for reminding me I like the hot dogs there; and they have coke instead of pepsi. And I needs me a coke if I'm having a hot dog.
#16 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm seriously considering buying nonrefundable concert tickets for this week or next weekend. I figure that'll do the trick.

I'm very surprised that I didn't go into labor on Valentine's Day, as that would have been the most inconvenient time possible -- I was in the ER with DH all night, because he had a kidney stone.

I almost bought castor oil yesterday, but I restrained myself. I figure I'll resort to that only if I pass my due date.

JoAnna

DH Collin

DD Elanor (8), DS William (5), DD Violet (3), DS Gabriel (1), DS Peter (born Oct. '13)

Noel (12/06) and Christian (03/09), always in my heart

#17 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna47 View Post
I'm seriously considering buying nonrefundable concert tickets for this week or next weekend. I figure that'll do the trick.

I'm very surprised that I didn't go into labor on Valentine's Day, as that would have been the most inconvenient time possible -- I was in the ER with DH all night, because he had a kidney stone.

I almost bought castor oil yesterday, but I restrained myself. I figure I'll resort to that only if I pass my due date.

this is sure fire.

we had The Cure tickets...baby boy was two weeks early.

there was 120 bucks NOT well spent.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#18 of 30 Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Does just being cranky count? Because I'm REALLY cranky, no one wants to be around me. It's working!
#19 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Well, MIL invited herself down to visit (for a day) saturday after next. I figure that would probably be the *most* inconvenient time (for ME) to go into labor... so, that could be it... When Dh said "well, we don't have any set plans, but we might be having a baby that day..." MIL sort of made a sound like she wouldn't mind being here for that. GAH!

#20 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
This thread has me cracking up . But I'm here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_juice View Post
My EDD is March 9 or 10. I need babe to stay in until at the very least the 4th. Coming on the 5th or 6th would be just dandy though (March 8 spring break starts ). I suspect I will go sometime between the 4th and 6th. Guess we'll see!

I've got 3 big exams this week, we still need to round up more names, I've got to clean the new place and the old place, we've got to move the major stuff on the 1st, got some things to shop for still, need to get as ahead as possible with the school work, a ton of other stuff. No, baby needs to stay in for a bit.

When we were getting ready to read stories last night, DS jumped onto the side of my stomach and O-M-G, that hurt like a SOAB . I'm still in pain this morning .

Yesterday I overdid it at the park with my OutsideBaby. We played some soccer (4 YO style ), baseball, and did other things that required me to run about . Once we got home after picking up DH from work, I was WIPED OUT, holy cow! But the weather was just so delicious here yesterday! I think with the combo of running around with DS and then later on him jumping on me, ctx were really heavy last night. I passed out after DH and I watched Amazing Race, contracty as hell. Woke up around 1:15, no ctx. Took a shower then was just up so I did homework. Went to bed around 4:30 or so, ctx started up again .

Drinking lots of water and such. DH is so funny. Every time I twinge he teases me "Baby coming yet?" . I didn't realize I was in labor-labor with DS 'til I got closer to transition so he's all paranoid .

I just got all kinds of OT huh? Oh well! Um, yeah, expect random tangents more or less from me in the upcoming weeks .

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#21 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Holy moly!

I am just impressed that you are still in school!
I had to take the semester off. My brain shuts down when pregnant, and I turn into a total dope!
#22 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegMomma View Post

I've basically determined that baby has decided never to leave my womb. Man, that's going to get uncomfortable in a few months...
My sister is getting married in August. She asked my mom if there was a chance I might still be pregnant then.

I'm starting to get sore and uncomfortable and (probably TMI ahead) I think I might have hemorrhoids. But I'd actually like baby to stay in a couple more weeks too. Even one more week would be good. We did a huge cooking spree this weekend but still have more cooking to do, as well as sewing, painting, and cleaning, and DH is still training the guy at work who is going to take over for him for a few weeks.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#23 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM

I am with apple juice on this one.
I love being PG, and this is the last time I will ever get to feel this, so as uncomfortable, as tired or as disgusting ( throwing up on ones self last night as the heartburn was so bad ) as it is, I want to cherish every moment.

I am due on March 8th, so am 38 weeks today. I could go another 2 -3 weeks yet, my last baby was 41, so I am quite possibly hanging out here for a while

I have a mw appt tomorrow, and I am kind of interested as to the stae of my cervix. The baby has been head down for a long time, so I am curious as to what's happening. Should I get checked out? I am not sure as I don't want to stir things up down there quite yet.
What do you girls think?

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#24 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella-makes-3 View Post
The baby has been head down for a long time, so I am curious as to what's happening. Should I get checked out? I am not sure as I don't want to stir things up down there quite yet.
What do you girls think?
This is always a tricky thing. As long as you're completely okay with being pg for a few more weeks, I don't think you'd be disappointed with whatever is discovered.

Basically, a check doesn't mean anything. You can be dilated to 4 cm right now and still have weeks left. You could have apparently NOTHING happening down there right now, then go into labor three hours later. So.. it depends on what kind of information you're hoping for.

If you're likely to be disappointed if nothing's going on, I'd probably avoid the check at this appt. Checks can do funny things to your mind, I think.

As for me. I'm nearly 40 weeks (just a few days to go)... and.. *sigh*.. I'm so ready. I think I'm going to have to go for a great big walk later.

Could this be my last pregnancy? Sure. You just never know. Nothing in this life is guaranteed. And I've really, really loved these last two months! I finally grew a belly and I love it! But...

I'm ready. Ready. Ready. Ready.

But nothing's really happening. *sigh*

#25 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Thanks judy! I agree with you, about the dialation. It would just be cool to know, but, then I would tell people and they would get all frantic, as people tend to do when you are going to have a baby any time.

I was 3 cm for ages with #1, when I finally went into labour, I laboured so long, and was still only 3, but that was me.

As far as the last baby, this is the last one. Dh will get a vasectomy, he wants to, as we did not plan on this baby, but are so excited and happy to be meeting him/her soon, but cannot have anymore children after this for a couple of reasons.

I am wishing you baby movement vibes!!! Descend baby, descend!!!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#26 of 30 Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella-makes-3 View Post
It would just be cool to know, but, then I would tell people and they would get all frantic, as people tend to do when you are going to have a baby any time.
Exactly! People keep asking if I'm going to get checked, and I don't bother telling them that I don't want to hear them telling me how if I am dilated, I'm about to go any minute, because they will, even though grown women who have children ought to know better. I just tell them the midwives don't check unless there's some reason to, and that being X weeks along is not a reason. But of course, I am curious, even though I know from experience that it's meaningless.
#27 of 30 Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
Exactly! People keep asking if I'm going to get checked, and I don't bother telling them that I don't want to hear them telling me how if I am dilated, I'm about to go any minute, because they will, even though grown women who have children ought to know better. I just tell them the midwives don't check unless there's some reason to, and that being X weeks along is not a reason. But of course, I am curious, even though I know from experience that it's meaningless.
I've been randomly checking myself... and hadn't been able to reach, as far as I could tell... until yesterday... and it felt very definitely like a dilated hole that was at *least* two finger widths wide (I couldn't get 3 fingers in to check if it was 3, but my two fingers were apart...). So I mention it to Dh because I was like "whoa, wasn't expecting to even find it yet, still..." and heeeee's... a little freaked out. LOL My other two were both born past their due dates. I had to explain to him that it probably didn't mean anything and since I didn't get checked (until labor) with the last baby, who knows, it could have been the same last time. He's been busily nesting since, though

#28 of 30 Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 AM

I spent six hours at the hospital for blood draws, midwife appointment and then monitoring since he wasn't moving as much as he had previously. Then sent home at 3pm to return at 9pm when my water had broken. He was born at 11am the next day (Sunday!)

Mama of three.

#29 of 30 Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 AM

Well, I give up on induction methods. I'm gonna chill and relax and just wait. I know she won't come until shes good and ready anyways at 43 weeks like my last one. LOLOL

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#30 of 30 Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Candice I've decided to just stay pregnant forever. The anticipation is too much

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page