Anyone still nursing in these last weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you found an increase in the amount of colostrum your DC is getting? I think I see her swallowing at the breast which she hasn't done in months. DD's poop is now awful, and gives her almost instant diaper rash. Anyone know if this is an indication of how much longer the pregnancy will last :-)

Jessie, wife to Timmy and mother to a beautiful daughter, Fiery on 10.6.09. Expecting my next beauty in March '10!:::
#2 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm still nursing, but I've had colostrum since about 22 weeks lol. There's been maybe a little more recently, though I've only noticed because I've been leaking occasionally. Not sure if it means anything as far as how much longer you have to go though. I'm sure near the end of pregnancy you do start producing more, but that time line probably changes for each woman.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#3 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM

How far along are you? My nurslings started to swallow again c. 32 weeks. Last time, it was 34 weeks when my (then single) nursling started swallowing again.
#4 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 PM

I'm nursing my 3yo again. We cut way down, starting at around 9 weeks, because I had a very rough first trimester. I have no idea if her latch is still good enough that she is getting any, as she often went days without nursing. Luckily, she can follow directions now, so we have been working on what hurts me and what doesn't.

I am 37+3, and I can nurse her without pain most of the time, and she is nursing several times a day again. I really doubt she is getting much colostrum, though I hope that when the baby comes, and the flood begins, she will put on a little weight.

Oh, and now I have a tool to get her to hold still so I can brush her hair! I sit on the edge of the bed and she stands in between my legs and latches while I brush her hair. She had dreadlocks until we started nusing daily again!
#5 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM

we've nursed the whole way through (DD is 3). Did the same when DS was my nursling and I was pg with DD.

I see her swallow, but I don't really leak. I can squeeze a little colostrum out if I hand express. DD says there is "milk" there.
#6 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiskah64 View Post
Have any of you found an increase in the amount of colostrum your DC is getting? I think I see her swallowing at the breast which she hasn't done in months. DD's poop is now awful, and gives her almost instant diaper rash. Anyone know if this is an indication of how much longer the pregnancy will last :-)
Not during this pregnancy, but I did during my second pregnancy (I tandem nursed the first two for about six months). In my case, I never saw an increase in colostrum (or really, any evidence that it was there. LOL. It was scant), and my milk was very slow to come in (as it has been in all of my pregnancies).

It might be a sign for you, but I wanted to add my own experience just in case so that someone else who WASN'T experiencing that didn't start to feel discouraged. I don't know if it was a factor (probably not) but that was my earliest baby (born on her due date -- the other two were 5 and 7 days late).
#7 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 AM

I'm still nursing my 3 yo. She only nurses to sleep at night now though. I have had a couple of nights where I have woke up soaked from leaking, so I know my supply is up. My breasts feel fuller, too.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#9 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 AM

Still nursing my 26 month old. He's actually very clingy the last day or so cause of a bug. Nursing is hurting less and less as I make more colostrum thankfully! He does swallow again, and a few time he's pulled off and had the milk dribbles down his cheek.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#10 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Still nursing, my DD (3y4m). She nurses about 4-5 nights out of 7, sometimes skips as many as 4-5 days though. And still seems to be getting milk, at least she's not complaining as she did a few months ago when she was dry nursing if anything. So it must be colostrum. Yeah.
(Hope she maintains her interest, that will save me the breast pump to fight over-engorgement in the first few weeks after the baby is born.)

proud mama of DS (April 03), DD (Oct 06), angel1.gif (March 09), DS (April 10), DD (Oct 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page