Mucous plug and Pereneal Massage question? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there,
Funny to open up MDC after not visiting so often lately and to see all of my symptoms from today in the first 5 threads (prodromal labor, mucous plug, aches and pains...)
Question though, anyone know if it's still alright to do pereneal massage when you've started losing your mucous plug? I think I just want an excuse to not do it. But, thought someone here might have already asked this question. Thanks so much!

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 02:40 AM

Yes, you can still do it. But...if you really don't want to, why do it? I understand why you're "supposed" to or whatever, but I don't think (and I could be wrong) it's so important that it's worth doing something you hate doing. I think I did it all of 4 or 5 times with DD and had only a "skid mark" tear. It was very minor. I haven't done it at all this time.
#3 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 02:51 AM

I'm with Plummeting, if you don't feel like doing it, don't. No need for an excuse!
I'm sure it's still safe though, even after losing your mp.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#4 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't hate it as much as feeling really lazy after my bath this past week. However, after tearing with the last 2 babes I really really really really want to do anything in my power to not tear this time. It sounds so nice to not sit on a pillow for 6 weeks post-partum. So, perhaps I'll try again tomorrow...depending on how I feel. Thanks for the quick feedback. I love this group.

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

#5 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Pereneal Massage? That's a new one for me....I have heard of it...thought it was something to do during labor? You can do this beforehand? Is 36 weeks to late to start?

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#6 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM

So I'm wondering, because I never looked it up, is there any actual research showing that doing it before labor will prevent tearing? Now I'm curious.
#7 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM

FWIW, my OB said that because of risk of increasing a histamine (inflamatory) reaction in the perineum prior to birth, DO NOT do perineal massage for several weeks prior to due date.

When I was in PT school, I observed a few births as well (read: very limited experience)... I can tell you that perineal massage (albeit perhaps overly aggressive) during labor (given by a well meaning nurse to a lady with an epidural) did not help this particular lady either. She soooo red, swollen, and hot even before she started to push! She practically had blisters! OUCH!

I've heard conflicting accounts of personal success with perineal massage, but never read any GOOD research either way... Personally, I think that squatting to stretch the perineal musculature and soft tissue is much more focused (and easier to implement)!!!

Good LUCK!! Sending STRETCHY perineal vibes your way (and mine - fingers crossed) during labor!!

Momma to Teo born March 2010 and fur babies:. Devoted wife to "Hubby of the Year."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page