Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 AM

1b, Christopher's cord was on for 15 days before my L&D friend came over and cut the damn thing off. There was just one little bit hanging on and not drying out. I was so thankful she did that! ETA: The first two kids had their cords off by 10 days old, but Christopher was a full pound heavier than them so maybe big babies really do hold on to their cords longer. I'll have to ask my friend who has 12 pounders how long her kids had them.

As for diapers, we used the sposies until just recently because of his cord issues. Now we're using the Fuzzi Bunz smalls along with some KL0. I bought the FB's with my first kid and I'm so happy they're still holding up!

Mama of three.

#33 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM

bump

How is everyone?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#34 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
... you mamas must be busy - your March 1-7 weekly chat has carried over to the seventeenth!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#35 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
we're in pretty much exclusively KL0's right now. DS's cord stump still hasn't fallen off so they work best for that.

Speaking of the cord, his has taken longer than either of my girls (DD1 took a week exactly, DD2 was a little less than a week, like 5 days I think?). It's day 9 for us now. And the girls' never stunk, but his does!! I read that's a sign it's about to fall off, but uh...any day now would be nice. We're on day 3 of smelliness (not infected smelly, just plain smelly). I hate having to scrunch my nose up at my sweet precious perfect little guy. Makes me feel sad. I have been doing some reading (wish I'd have bookmarked them) on bigger babies that sometimes have bigger cords and that alone can cause them to take a little longer to fall off, so hoping that's just the case.
My son's didn't hang on long, but it did stink. we ended up just carefully cleaning around it and it sort of fell off - turns out it was ready to come off but was being held on w/other gunk.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#36 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm better.... better than I was a few days ago. Ugh.. pp hormones are the devil, I swear.

And dangit, it's been quite a while since I had a tiny baby, since dd3 turned four back in December, and I guess I kind of forgot how often tiny babies nurse. A few days ago it was really weighing heavily on me. It was like Hazel was only happy on the boob or if she was sleeping. If she was awake, she wouldn't just be peaceful and content (well, from time to time, but it seemed to be decreasing in frequency) and ONLY wanted to be on the boob -- unless dh was holding her. Then she'd sleep peacefully.

And she totally cluster feeds in the evenings... like from 5-10pm or so... And that's HARD!!! The evenings used to be *my* time. After I'd get the older girls to bed, I would have a bit of quiet time in the evenings before dh would get off of work at 10 p.m. But now it's all about the boobie milk. I'm getting closer to being at peace with it.. but it sure took some getting used to.

Today I took Hazel to *gasp* a DOCTOR! lol ... I needed to get the (first) PKU test done (just about the only test we do at all) and then I figured we might as well meet with a doctor because honestly, we don't even HAVE a family doctor for us! So, we went to the only small clinic that seems to hold doctors (through the hospital, they're always rotating through.. they sign short contracts, so it's somebody different all the time, it seems... and I live in a very small, rural community.. not a lot of choices anyway). I met with a wonderful female doctor who I really liked. I think I could easily see all of our family seeing her. She like Hazel's cloth diapers (which I made and yes, I *DID* pick out her cutest ones... with hand-dyed bamboo velour outers ), liked the clothes I made her and was happy to see her nursing since she nursed her own daughter. When the vax issue came up (which I declined), she told me she has to tell me about them and that she recommends them, but it's all up to me And just left it at that! (phew! I had geared myself up for a battle.. but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a big deal!).

They did weigh her and I was happy to see that she's gained weight above and beyond her birth weight even I *do* know that she certainly nurses plenty (and has bazillions of poopy/wet diapers to prove it)... but somehow it's just another nice validation to see her weight increasing the way it's supposed to.

I'm totally wordy right now because Hazel is sleeping on my bed, so I *gasp* have TWO HANDS to type with Quite the feat these days

Today is dh's first day back at work... we'll see how the evening goes (since he works 1-10pm) with just us girls... eek!

Oh, and I had a question too... I got some of the Earth Mama Angel Baby Milkmaid tea as a present from a friend and had some last night... but then on the box was reading today that the reason not to drink it during pregnancy is that it brings on menstruation (or something to that effect)... so... would that prolong even pp bleeding? Or am I totally stretching on that line of thought? (I swear, some days my thoughts seem to make complete sense.. some days... eh... not so much ) Basically.. I'm ready for things to STOP in that department.

okay... enough babbling....

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#37 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 PM

We're still doing great! I'm pretty much blissed out all the time, haha. It's pretty crazy!

Here's a bunch of pictures!!!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#38 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Sayward: those pictures are great!

We are all doing well around here. DS2 had a bit of a rough go the first few days, but he's doing well now, and has actually, gasp!, kissed Guthrie unprompted.
I am feeling pretty awesome, and went for a (short) hike at one week pp. Guthrie is easy peasy, super mellow. He's spends a good deal of time in the sling, which makes my life easy... I can cuddle and knit at the same time! The mw came by when he was 6 days old, and weighed him, and he had already surpassed his birthweight. Things are going well!

I must say, that having DH off for 6 weeks is making the transition super smooth. He is, generally, a good help, and it's nice not having to worry about getting DS1 of to nursery school in the morning.

I am very blessed with an amazing family. My mama stocked our freezer with a bevy of (vegan, of course) soups, stews, and sauces. I have a very very lovely friend who brought us dinner twice in one week!! We have had to cook dinner once. Once!! So spoiled.

Things right now are awesome, and 3 kids is not intimidating me one bit. But, talk to me in 4 1/2 weeks when DH heads back to work...

Busy mama to my three little lads!
#39 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Oh, I lied. I have one pp complaint. People asking me if I'm disappointed that we have another boy. Truth be told, I'm totally psyched about having 3 boys! I think it's going to be rad. (I should note that we are 99% sure we're done having kiddos.)

I wouldn't have had another baby if I didn't want a boy. Yeesh!

#40 of 57 Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegMomma View Post
Oh, I lied. I have one pp complaint. People asking me if I'm disappointed that we have another boy. Truth be told, I'm totally psyched about having 3 boys! I think it's going to be rad. (I should note that we are 99% sure we're done having kiddos.)

I wouldn't have had another baby if I didn't want a boy. Yeesh!
I hear you on that one... except change three boys to FOUR GIRLS! Personally, I LOVE it! Makes good use of hand-me-downs

(we're probably not done having kids though... and actually, if we would have had a boy we would have HAD to have more -- just to show we weren't 'trying for a boy' or something silly like that.... )

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#41 of 57 Old 03-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Can it really be that my baby will be four weeks old tomorrow?

I'm doing okay. DH has this really crazy relaxed work schedule that has him home almost all of the time right now and I'm spoiled. I've gotten both babies napping at the same time almost every day, and I'm actually managing to stay up on laundry and dishes, which rocks.

I'm having a hard time with being hyper-emotional, which is something I don't deal with well. I'm usually the exact opposite of hyper-emotional, so...I don't like it. Add money stress to that (from DH's three months of layoff and my utter lack of clients right now) and I'm a mess sometimes. Trying to find a way out of/around those issues is depressing, to say the least.

We have a photographer friend who gifted us with a newborn session almost two weeks ago and I CANNOT WAIT to get the disk from that. Libby wasn't as cooperative and pliable as she might have been a little sooner after birth, but my friend spent almost two hours working with her and I'm sure we got some good shots. Can't wait!

This afternoon we have a "spring mini session" with her at a local park. We're hoping to get a whole family picture, or at least one of all four kids. It's only a 30 minute session, though, so that might be a little ambitious. I don't know...

Until I have some pro shots, here's the most recent picture of her (taken with my iPhone): http://www.flickr.com/photos/66283993@N00/4443439234/

Her nylon headbands came in yesterday and I'm loving the bows. We have a bow for every outfit, just about. It's great!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#42 of 57 Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
People asking me if I'm disappointed that we have another boy.
Quote:
and actually, if we would have had a boy we would have HAD to have more -- just to show we weren't 'trying for a boy' or something silly like that....
I can so relate to both of these. It got to where I didn't like to go places with my whole family because of the all boys comments. It was just maddening. The difference when you have a girl in the mix is just astounding, except that now it's "so now you're done" comments. I know that spite is a terrible reason to have a child, but man...I so wanna have another just to prove to the world that this was not about "getting my girl." (I'd also love for Libby to have the chance at having a sister...)

#43 of 57 Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Seo is just over 3 +2 days today, and things are going well. We were really spoiled with our neighborhood and friends cooking and bringing us dinners for 2 weeks! Really yummy food too...
My DH has been back to work about 3/4 time since that first week, and I have been pleasantly surprised at how the transition from 1 to 2 has been. Of course there have been moments where they are both crying and I feel like I am losing it, but most of the time it has been great.

I had a bad day yesterday when I took Seo to the doctor for the first time, and they informed me that they are changing their vaccination policies due to medicaid (what we have for insurance) regulations. Basically we will not be allowed to pick and choose which vacs we want, delay any vacs, or even (which is my preference) space the vacs out so they are not given more than one vac at a time. When I asked about paying for any or all of it out of pocket they said they still couldn't do anything other than the mandated vaccination schedule. +
I took it pretty hard at first and was driving away from the drs sobbing~ it was like all the pp hormones and emotions kicked in all at one time. *sigh*
Today I feel less devastated by it, and ready to do a little research to see if I have any options.

I love all the pictures and updates from everyone!

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#44 of 57 Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM

I'm nervous we're going to the doctor tomorrow for the newborn screen, and it's the first time going to this doctor (or really any doctor in over a year).

It'll also be the first time venturing up stairs since saturday. I'm scared about leaving the house, about the doctor's reaction to the homebirth, I'm scared about venturing into the world with 3 litte boys. eep!

Otherwise I'm great, everything feels normal! I'm so thankful that I had no tears or skid marks. Bleeding is light. Sleeping is good except for DS2 is having a hard time, we usually snuggle all night. I have a plan for tonight though and I hope it works! Not going to bed until 2 or 3 because of a 2 y/o is silly!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#45 of 57 Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM

i still can't believe i haven't even reached my due date yet. i could have been pregnant for over 3 weeks still! and instead i have a lovely 3 week old baby to hold!!

i'm amazed at the difference in her this week. she's officially at term now, and wow, has she ever woken up. she's actually up and moving for more than a couple hours a day, and she really interacts with us a ton. i'm realizing how easy i had it the last couple of weeks though... this new baby doesn't contentedly snore away in her bassinet for a good portion of the day. i actually have to entertain her, and soothe her to sleep!!

the nightmare of the NICU has faded, although i still get jolts of how horrific those 10 days were once in a while. all the family has finally cleared out of my house for a while, so i'm feeling happy to get my space back, and sad that my pampered post-partum days are over. i actually had to make my own lunch this afternoon... horrors!
#46 of 57 Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 AM

Sashi is 9 days old today. We took him to the ped yesterday because we are both worry worts at least when it comes to baby. Turns out baby is back up to 9 lbs 2 oz (he was born 9 lbs 8 oz and was 8 and change leaving the hospital) which is nice.

Sashi doesn't like sleeping alone in his bassinet or anywhere else. He has been sleeping in our bed but I want to get one of those cosleeper things;
I worry about him getting rolled on or something terrible. Again the worry wort part comes out. I've been trying to sleep on my side with one arm around him.

DH leaves tomorrow. It has made me super emotional and I feel bad for that. I'm sure it's countrrproductive, making him wanna spend less time with me than more but my hormones have me all out of wack.

Ahh I'm exhausted. My mom will be here Monday, dh's will be back from Japan on the 30th and will visit when my mom goes. Hope I get some sleep.

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#47 of 57 Old 03-20-2010, 03:12 PM

A photo of Baby G and me.

And the facebook album.

#48 of 57 Old 03-20-2010, 06:10 PM

beautifulnm, we have a snuggle nest, that fits inbetween our heads, kind of like a mini mini box, with really small sides.
maybe that would help w/ your co sleeping worries? they are fairly inexpensive too.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#49 of 57 Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 AM

Where do I get one of those?

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#50 of 57 Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Ok question about your pelvis! Do your pelvic bones ache after being up an moving? Per midwife's orders I've been in bed since baby was born. I had to leave the house (and go up stairs) on friday for the doctor, and I climbed the stairs again yesterday and my symphisis pubis feels wiggly and achey afterward. It's almost what I'd assume to be SPD to be like during pregnancy. Anyone else expeirence this or know about it?

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014

#51 of 57 Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Just saying hi as I cross over to the postpartum mamas My little boy was born this morning
#52 of 57 Old 03-21-2010, 05:23 PM

Congratulations Lilcruchie!

Christopher is one month old today! I had a midwife appt yesterday for a med change (taking Wellbutrin 3 times a day was not working with a newborn in the house, so now I'm on Zoloft once a day!) and went over the the hospital part of the building where my nurse friend (the one who was my nurse during delivery) was and she weighed him for me. He was born weighing 8lbs7oz, never lost any weight and at 10 days old was up to 9lbs11oz. He's now 11lbs even! Guess that even though he's not the greatest nurser, my milk must be pretty darn good!

We've been doing pretty good otherwise. He and I both survived a week with the other two kids home full time (usually it's only my second home with us.) Dd (age 5) is so in love with him and I did have to set some ground rules about no kissing him or hugging him when he's nursing or asleep. Poor guy was getting mauled non-stop! We went to our first out-of-the-house playgroup on Wednesday to the park near my house. It was beautiful out but unfortunatly we both got sunburned. WHOOPS! I fell bad about that, but at least his is pretty mild (mine is very much NOT mild!) Time to get the sunscreen back in the van (dh took it out during it's last cleaning) and find the summer hat I have for him.

This next week I'm going to try and do drop off at school for dd for the first time. Dh has to travel for work in mid-April so I do need to get it figured out. And Christopher will go to his first Mom's Night Out with my friends and I. I am so excited to get out of the house for an evening and be with my friends (who will all fawn over him and cuddle him while I get to eat a meal with two hands!!!)

BeautifulNM, do you have a Babies R Us nearby? If not, search their website or Amazon's.

Mama of three.

#53 of 57 Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Can someone remind me how long the afterpains go on??

Gosh, they are quite intense. I'm getting by but little one isn't nursing a ton today (but has been peeing and pooping plenty), but wow, when he nurses they are *intense*. And this is baby #3. You'd think I'd remember how long it lasts?

Can someone remind me how long they usually go on??
#54 of 57 Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 PM

This is my third and my afterpains are... Oh. My. God. I hope they go away soon. I don't take OTC drugs, so I'm trying to grin and bear them. I'm using afterease, calcium, and warm drinks but they still hurt.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#55 of 57 Old 03-21-2010, 11:32 PM

I still get afterpains every now and then, though no where near as intense as the ones right after birth! In the hospital, they kept reminding me that with the more babies you have, the worse they are and the longer they last. For the first 3 days after the birth, I took a Tylenol every eight hours or so to keep them at bay.

Mama of three.

#56 of 57 Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 AM

I get some random afterpains, but they subsided dramatically around day 3.
For relief pressure, and heat directly on my belly helped. Afterease didn't do much for me.

I think I've been hit with the baby blues.

#57 of 57 Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
Ok question about your pelvis! Do your pelvic bones ache after being up an moving? Per midwife's orders I've been in bed since baby was born. I had to leave the house (and go up stairs) on friday for the doctor, and I climbed the stairs again yesterday and my symphisis pubis feels wiggly and achey afterward. It's almost what I'd assume to be SPD to be like during pregnancy. Anyone else expeirence this or know about it?
Mine do. I ended up using something to bind my hips b/c my pelvis felt so unstable. It really helped yesterday, but last night I slept without it on and woke up to the feeling of my pelvis falling apart. I bound them again this morning and it seems to have helped.

re: afterpains. the crampbark my midwife gave me seems to help, but I'm out of it, and not sure where to get more. My midwife suggested heat, like a hot water bottle or something, too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page