Pedialyte for newborns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,
So one of the things on my midwife's list of things I need to pack for the birth center is a bottle of clear pedialyte.
I'm not totally clear on why we need it in the first place.
My husband and I are not so into the idea of our newborn getting corn syrup right out of the box so we were thinking we'd take the pedialyte but also make our own version that has no extraneous additives.
Anyone have a recipe or an opinion?
Has anyone had to give pedialyte to their brand new baby?

oh, and we'd rather use maple syrup if we have to add a sweetener

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Is it possible that the pedialyte is for you to drink if you get exhausted during labor? Definitely ask your midwife about this. And talk to her about appropriate rehydration solutions for dehydrated infants - many natural sweeteners carry some risk of botulism because of the way they're processed. That's why we avoid honey before age 1, and IIRC, it's an issue with maple syrup as well.

In any case, I can't imagine giving pedialyte to a newborn. They don't come out of the womb dehydrated, and dehydrated babies often don't do so well with swallowing.
#4 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
Is it possible that the pedialyte is for you to drink if you get exhausted during labor?

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#5 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Yup, I'd think the Pedialyte is for you, not the baby.
#6 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM

glad that got cleared up. I was thinking "what midwife would want you to give pedialyte to a newborn?!!"

yuck. have you ever tasted pedialyte? most kids won't even go for it (the popsicles are better though he he). i'm bringing gatorade. that's good if it is for yourself-- you should be able to mix your own batch of Oral rehydration salts.

[FONT="Verdana"]Kate, mom to S(6/07) and Y(3/10)
#7 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

That is what my husband asked me but she also has me bring electrolyte solutions for myself like e-mergency electro-mix or gatorade so it has to be for the baby. I asked her about it a while back and she wasn't really clear on the purpose and since this is my first baby I was confused anyway and didn't push it.
Usually she's really clear and great.

We are also not into the idea of anything but breastmilk so I think I'll try to get a clearer answer on Tuesday at my appointment.

oh and our supply list has a medicine dropper to be with the pedialyte so it doubly must be for the baby

#8 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Weird. Maybe in case the baby has blood sugar issues? I think I'd accidentally forget it at home.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Just tell her you don't want the baby to have anything but BM or colostrum. It's your baby and it's not up to her.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#10 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
Just tell her you don't want the baby to have anything but BM or colostrum. It's your baby and it's not up to her.

During an appointment where we discussed gestational diabetes, my midwife said that if she had a mom with GD she liked her to have formula at a home birth in case baby came out with low blood sugar. I immediately said GD or not, my baby would NOT be getting any formula - and if my colostrum was not enough then my best friend would provide her milk.

My midwife was fine with that (actually, I think she was taken aback at first then really pleased.)
#11 of 12 Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,
you've pretty much concreted what I was feeling. I've scoured the internet for reasons why a brand newborn would need it and have come up short. I would totally go the "accidentally" forgetting it route but then I'd be worried that they had a stash of it at the center and I'd have to have that conversation when the baby is already here.
I'm just going to get a clear answer from her tomorrow about why she would ever want to give it to the baby and tell her I'm not comfortable with it. It seems especially odd because she is generally so anti using random drug store fixes.

#12 of 12 Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM

I would think also that it is for you..but...I would take some organic juices...no real need to have pedialyte for you either. Nor gatorade, etc...that's just all artificial stuff. I'd opt for water and maybe some natural juice if you think you need 'sugar'.

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page