Coconut oil to treat yeast? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this in a discussion on EPO, I believe. Was that in this forum? Someone said they made suppositories of coconut oil, and then also said that they use it for all kinds of things, including treating thrush. When my midwife was checking to make sure a small tear had healed yesterday, she noted that I have a small bit of yeast. I was wondering if that would be treatable with coconut oil, if anyone has tried it?

Megan, wife to my HS sweetheart , and mama to Libby (3), Hudson (2) and Remi Grace, born in water 2/26.
#2 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 AM

I had never read about that one either but I just did a little research and found a couple sites that talk about ingesting coconut oil to fight yeast infections and also coating tampons and making suppositories or like this one...

VAGINAL BOLUS FOR YEAST INFECTIONS
Herbal boluses are old-fashioned remedies used for persistent vaginal infections. By changing the herbal formula, you can adapt them for several different problems, including cysts, fibroids, and tumors. The following mixture has had a high success rate for yeast infections. Boluses are easy though messy to make and will take a little time. But they are well worth the trouble because they are very successful in clearing persistent infections.

* 1 cup coconut oil,
* A few drops of tea tree oil,
* 3 parts slippery elm powder,
* 1 part pau d'arco powder,
* 1 part black walnut hull powder,
* 1/2 part goldenseal powder,
* 1 part myrrh powder (finely ground).

To ensure that the herbs are finely powdered, run them through a nut grinder and a fine sieve. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat. When the oil is completely melted, remove it from the heat and stir in the powdered herb mixture. Add enough herbs to make a thick paste. When you have added enough powder so that the oil is thick yet still pliable enough to "work," add the tea tree oil. Quickly roll into boluses the size and shape of your small finger. They will look like herbal tootsie rolls.
Each evening, insert one bolus as far as possible up into the vagina. For easier insertion, you may wish to use a tampon inserter. It will probably be necessary to wear panty liners while doing this treatment. As the coconut oil melts, the bolus may drip.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#3 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 AM

The coconut oil isn't a treatment, but rather an avenue to introduce the treatment. It's an oil that is solid at room temperature, so you use it to make the bolus (um, what ciga said).
#4 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Actually, I was really surprised to find out that coconut oil isn't just a medium for helpful herbs and oils it is actually an anti-fungal itself

"Coconut oil is antiviral, antifungal (kills yeast too) and antibacterial. It attacks and kills viruses that have a lipid (fatty) coating, such as herpes, HIV, hepatitis C, the flu, and mononucleosis. It kills the bacteria that cause pneumonia, sore throats, dental cavities, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, food poisoning, pneumonia, and many, many more bacterial infections. It kills the fungus/yeast infections that cause candida, ringworm, athletes foot, thrush, jock itch, diaper rash and more."

I'm pretty excited about this because I love having one more non-drugstore option.
I've generally had a lot of success with boric acid suppositories but I imagine that may be a little harsh if you are healing from birth. Coconut oil seems like a much gentler remedy. I also read that you can take it internally as concentrated supplements in the form of Caprylic acid.

Obviously, I have a little too much time on my hands this morning
I should probably go clean stuff

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#5 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think my family in general (probably with me as the root cause, infecting the children through nursing and infecting my DH through, well, you can guess) has an ongoing battle with yeast and candida. A year ago I and my two older DC had ongoing thrush, which finally got killed because we were all eating grapefruit every morning, and I have on and off discomfort in the vaginal area (my DH also has on and off "burning" down in that area). I am wondering if the coconut oil would remedy this. Maybe if I take some internally as well as apply it vaginally for a period of time. Any ideas? Or do you think I should research a more intense method?

Megan, wife to my HS sweetheart , and mama to Libby (3), Hudson (2) and Remi Grace, born in water 2/26.
#7 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 PM

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#9 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for the link! And, really, it helps with weight loss as well? Wow, that's an added bonus. I don't have capsules, though, I just have the actual oil (which is solid at room temp). I guess I would just take it in/with something? I don't figure it tastes very good

#10 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChristianMum View Post
Great! Thanks for the link! And, really, it helps with weight loss as well? Wow, that's an added bonus. I don't have capsules, though, I just have the actual oil (which is solid at room temp). I guess I would just take it in/with something? I don't figure it tastes very good
You can cook with it in place of butter (it's really a mild flavor, although I find if we cook shrimp in it they get a little coconutty), or I use it in baking in place of butter or crisco. It can alter the texture slightly (when I put it in banana bread instead of crisco, the crust ends up this great crispy/crumble texture, which I think is great, but others might not like...), but is great for that kind of thing. Dh uses half coconut oil/half butter or olive oil when he sautes or fries stuff...

It's also great for making popcorn on the stove top

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#11 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#12 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
It's also great for making popcorn on the stove top
nak

I have heard this, actually. I'll have to try it.

#13 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
I just fill my own capsules. We buy GIANT tubs of CO so I'm too cheap to buys capsules since I have the oil and empty ones.
still nak

I actually thought about this. I have a huge tub as well, and thought I should just buy some capsules and fill my own. I just noticed as I was changing Remi's diaper that it looks like she might have a bit of yeast in her diaper area as well. I'll have to put some CO on it and see if it helps it heal up (usually I just put plain yogurt on yeasty diaper areas, but I don't have any, and have plenty of CO).

#14 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#15 of 15 Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of that before. I'll have to see if I can find it in our natural foods store. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page