Pitting edema in only one leg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The midwife said not to worry about it today, since my home BPs are normal, I have another appt Thursday and it just started last night. What I'm wondering, though, and didn't ask her, is if that might be more of an issue with a structural thing. If I were having some real problems, wouldn't I have edema in BOTH legs? Instead, my left leg is completely normal and my right leg has some pitting half way up the shin. I know that can be a symptom of DVT, but it's not that. My leg is fine - not red, swollen, hot, painful, etc.

I had pitting edema in the ankle on that leg a couple weeks ago and got rid of it just by drinking lots and lots of water, but this just happened last night. I noticed the swelling was back on my ankle the day before yesterday, but the pitting just started last night. Anywho, I'm wondering what anyone else thinks of that idea (that it might be more of a structural issue/the way my uterus is sitting/something like that). I'm going to the chiro today, so maybe they can shed some light on that question.
#2 of 4 Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

And just in case anyone else was wondering, the answer from the chiro was yes. :-) That was what I figured, since swelling in only one leg period can just be an issue with the uterus blocking things up. I was just questioning the pitting edema, which is stupid, but I am neurotic and anxious, so you know...lol
#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll be interested to hear if your chiropractic adjustment clears it up!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 4 Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
The midwife said not to worry about it today, since my home BPs are normal, I have another appt Thursday and it just started last night. What I'm wondering, though, and didn't ask her, is if that might be more of an issue with a structural thing. If I were having some real problems, wouldn't I have edema in BOTH legs? Instead, my left leg is completely normal and my right leg has some pitting half way up the shin. I know that can be a symptom of DVT, but it's not that. My leg is fine - not red, swollen, hot, painful, etc.

I had pitting edema in the ankle on that leg a couple weeks ago and got rid of it just by drinking lots and lots of water, but this just happened last night. I noticed the swelling was back on my ankle the day before yesterday, but the pitting just started last night. Anywho, I'm wondering what anyone else thinks of that idea (that it might be more of a structural issue/the way my uterus is sitting/something like that). I'm going to the chiro today, so maybe they can shed some light on that question.
I noticed pitting edema in my right ankle yesterday. Last week the swelling in that leg started ramping up to the point where my middle toes are numb. It is kind of like carpal tunnel (which I also only really have in my right hand/arm) in my foot. Very weird feeling. It started after the baby dropped. My midwife thought the numbness was odd but my BP was fine and she thinking it is just my uterus resting on a nerve or something to that effect, especially since it is just the one leg.

I don't remember what my hands and feet looked like unswollen. It'll be interesting to see bones again after this baby comes.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page