Baby girl is here! *pictures and birth story added - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She arrived at 1:32 pm this afternoon in out whirpool tub 15-20 minutes before the midwife came. My husband, 28 month old, and 14 month old were there with me. I screamed her head out and my 14 month old was a little nervous, but after baby girl was out my dd was so happy and excited and kept screaming "Baby, baby!" while trying to climb in the tub with me.

We were convinced we were having a boy. Our boy name was Reuben, so we're thinking of changing it to Ruby.

Baby was born in the caul, which was sooo neat. She is doing so well right now as am I. No tears, bleeding is fine, and she's nursing well. I'll put up a more detailed birth story soon.

6lbs 5oz
19.25 inches long
39 weeks gestation, looked like a 41 weeker according to the midwife
Pre/early labor started 1pm yesterday, contractions were definitely real labor at 1am-ish.

I am so in

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulaions, Josie! I'm thrilled for you and your family!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:57 PM

Congrats!!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM

How wonderful!

A caul baby...what a cool story

Congrats and enjoy those newborn snuggles
Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 PM

Congrats!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Congrats!!

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 PM

Congratulations!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 PM

Congratulations!!!!!

Loving wife and mama to 3 happy, healthy, home born children
Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 AM

Congrats!!!!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Congratulations on your sweet little girl!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Congratulations!!!!

Busy mama to my three little lads!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Yay! More babies! Congrats!
Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM

congrats

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Congratulations!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Wow! Born in the caul! That is something really special. And UC, as well! That is one grat birth story right there. I 'm so happy for you!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 03-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Aww, how sweet!

yeah, my after pains make me wanna cry... my midwife left some cramp bark which seems to help, but owie! Can't wait til *that* part is over.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

And here is my official birth story:

Ruby Marie
6 lbs 5 oz
19 ¼ inches long
March 20, 2010 1:32 pm

At about 1 pm on Friday the 19th we had finished a meeting with our attorney and were headed to see the midwife.

I began having contractions that were a little stronger than normal, but didn’t think much of them because I often had stronger contractions in the car. We met with the midwife and everything looked great. We didn’t bother scheduling another appointment, she said she would wait for my call. It was a beautiful day and after we got home we went to the park. The baby had dropped and I was uncomfortable and still having contractions irregularly.

Later on that evening I checked my cervix and the baby’s head was engaged and my cervix was effacing. I guess those contractions were doing something! We all took a bath in the whirlpool tub, which the littles enjoyed very much, and I told DH that I thought the baby might come that night or the next day.

We went to bed and I was quite uncomfortable from the baby being so low and was also having some cramps. At about 12:30 I was awoken by a contraction. On and off until about 3:00 I was awoken by 3-4 contractions an hour. I finally realized that this was probably it and got out of bed to prepare the birth supplies and do some laundry. I also spent some time online communicating with friends. The contractions were too uncomfortable to lie down through, so I didn’t get any more rest after getting up.

The contractions ranged anywhere from 7-20 minutes apart but were increasing in intensity. When DS and DD got up and I got moving doing things with them, feeding them breakfast, etc. (around 8-9 am) contractions got close and regular. The contractions were intense but manageable and I continued to do things around the house all morning. I had called the midwife at 8:30 to let her know what was going on and told her I’d call her back when things were more regular.

At 11:30 I called the midwife again to let her know the contractions were 4-6 minutes apart and strong. But based on how I felt during my last two labors, I thought I had hours left and told her to take her time coming (DD’s labor was very intense for hours). After I got off the phone with her the contractions got closer and I decided to get in the tub. While the tub was filling contractions got even closer and I felt a distinctive shift and slide of the baby further into the birth canal. I wondered if s/he’d come sooner than I thought.

I got in the tub and the water felt great. Contractions were still quite painful, but the water’s calming and buoyant effect made them more manageable. I checked my cervix regularly and could feel the changes, although I wasn’t quite sure of dilation. I could feel the baby’s head and amniotic sac, which was an amazing feeling. I began losing large amounts of mucous and baby’s head was getting very low. I also couldn’t feel my cervix very well anymore. I called my midwife and told her to come!

After this contractions began to get very intense and I moaned through them and swayed my hips in the water. I began to feel shaky and sick, but I thought it was just from the hard work. If this was transition, it certainly wasn’t like DD‘s or DS‘s! I worked through the contractions for a while continuing to check my cervix.

It soon became clear that Baby was coming sooner than I thought when I checked myself during a contraction to find a bulging bag of water and a uterus that was trying to push her out! Soon the contractions actually felt pushy. I let my body push for 3-4 contractions. It was hard work, I tried to rupture the sac because of how much it was bulging and how hard it was to push, but it would not break. I think the sac being intact made pushing harder.

I must add that during all this, DD and DS ran around the bedroom and bathroom (they open up to eachother, no doors) playing and enjoying themselves. They would visit me, talk to me, and mimic my noises. It was so great having them there. DH read the Bible out loud to me, prayed with me, got the camera set up and did a little filming at various times. Everything was so calm, natural, and peaceful.

I decided that I wanted the baby out so I began to push with my body. I had been nervous that I might be pushing too early but decided to trust my body to tell me if it wasn’t the right time. It was, so I pushed! Pushing hurt and I began screaming when her head was coming out. Poor DD was standing right there and got a little nervous when I yelled in her face, lol. She ran away and began playing with some toys. I pushed her head out and she came out in the sac. I could feel her ears through it, but could not see her face. I waited for another contraction to push her body out. Just before the contraction came she gave me two hard kicks which felt so weird, but made me laugh. Finally I was able to push her body out. She didn’t slide right out like DD did, I really had to push.

I pulled her up and saw that we had a little girl! We were both convinced it was a boy, so we were surprised to say the least! She cried a bit right away and then was quiet and starting to breathe on her own. She pinked up well and within a few minutes was very alert.

At some point DD realized there was a baby and came over to see. She kept screaming “Baby, baby!!!” and tried to climb in with me. DS was very fascinated by the birth and his new sister. The placenta came out easily but some of the sac stayed inside which the midwife later took care of.

DH called the MW to let her know the baby came and she arrived about 15-20 minutes later. I gave Ruby to DH and went and showered off. Our midwife later scrubbed the gunk out of the tub which was nice!

I got in bed and nursed Ruby for a while. DS and DD couldn’t stay away from Ruby, they are in love!

The birth was just wonderful, I love my midwife dearly, but I am so glad that it was just us for the birth. It was so natural, so peaceful… Ruby is so calm and she fits right in. DH was such a wonderful support, always right there for me. I could feel his confidence in me and my body and that gave me strength when I was feeling unsure of what to do. I wouldn’t have done this any other way!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Born in the caul! That's so awesome!
Congrats Mama!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. Our midwife was here, but most if our labor felt like it was just DH and me. It's an amazing experience.

Congratulations!

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM

That is so awesome. What a peaceful birth, I am really glad it went that way for you. Enjoy that sweet new baby!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'm so glad it went the way it did too. I've wanted to UC but DH was hesitant to do it without the midwife. He's now saying we can totally do it ourselves next time.

User Tag List