Called by different names? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any moms call their child by their middle name? My parents,family,cousins and relatives call me by my middle name but my friends and people outside call me by my first.
#2 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 AM

I've always found it odd when people do that...I wonder, why did they do it that way? Is there a reason they call you by your middle name? Just curious??

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#3 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My sister goes by her middle name. She has a very common first name (there were four by that name in her first grade, which is when she switched).

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#4 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
double post

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#5 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 AM

A lot of people in my family go by their middle name, me included. As for why, I'd have to ask my mother as I've never been called by my first name.
#6 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 AM

A friend of mine is named after his dad, and his family calls him by his middle name. At school, though, he went by his first. I always found it really awkward being around his family because I didn't know what to call him. Then when he went abroad he went by his middle name, which was again awkward when I met up with him in Europe. I have no idea what he goes by now.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#7 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM

A close friend of mine has always gone by her middle name. Her mom wanted her to be called Diane always, but had a family name she wanted in there too... but it didn't sound right to have Diane Familyname (obviously it's not "familyname" but the name is very unique).. so.. it was Familyname Diane on her birth certificate.

It's a bit odd, I suppose... but probably just as much as using a big name as the 'official' first name, but having all intents of using a nickname.

My given first name is Judith.. but I have *never* gone by that or really been called that.. it's always been Judy.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#8 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmom3 View Post
I've always found it odd when people do that...I wonder, why did they do it that way? Is there a reason they call you by your middle name? Just curious??
Well my name is Mirza Ryon. Mirza has been passed down in the family so my dad has it too. So family and relatives call me by my middle name Ryon. But I'm called Mirza in school and by friends. Is it weird? This week, its been stressing me out because I've yet to meet someone like me... :/

I kind of blame my parents because of this...
#9 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 02:23 AM

My ds2 and dh go by their middle names. My dd1 goes by a nickname of her middle name. Why? Well for dh and ds2 it has to do with a family tradition of using the same initials and we liked ds2's middle name best so we decided to call him that. I am sure that is how my inlaws felt, too, about dh. Our dd1 is named after my two grandmothers, but we really wanted to call her by the nickname of her middle name. Dh had college professors call him by his first name, but all friends, family members, and coworkers call him by his middle name now. Ds2 and dd1 will be called by their first names sometimes at the dentist or drs office. It throws us off. We really have to be thinking since we aren't used to calling them by those names.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#10 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

My DD1 goes by her middle name. Her first name is the same as mine (she is the 6th generation to have that name), so to avoid confusion, we call her by her middle name. It was supposed to be her middle name instead of her first, but DH decided he liked it better as her first. She thinks it's pretty cool that she, her grandma, and I all have that name.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page