moby wrap is making me feel demented - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seemed so simple before I had an actual baby to try to get into it

anybody else find this mass of fabric to be incredibly annoying and impossible to master and/or have some trick to stuffing an 11lb baby into it.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#2 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Practice! I commented on your FB a little bit but NAKing so it's hard.

srunch the shoulder area a bit, and make sure you wrap it around you snugly as you're comfortable. It stretches, A LOT!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never had a proper Moby, but do have another wrap (a hemp jersey wrap I made myself ).. and yeah.. it can completely be intimidating at first because of all that long, crazy fabric! But with some practice, you'll breeze through it and it will be amazing!! Keep at it!! (and if you still need help, there are plenty of 'helpers' here!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#4 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I did manage to figure it out. It only took me 3 weeks! kind of...
I just stopped trying to get my 11lb son's feet to stay tucked inside like the "newborn" instructions show.
We just went for our first walk in it and it is SO much more comfy/balanced feeling than the sling.

#5 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I should break out my wrap and figure it out, again. I haven't used it since DD, so it's been like 4 years. My sling throws my body out of whack, though...

A friend offered me her mei tai, but I don' t know when I'll see her again to get it...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#6 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Ya know, I LOVED my Moby with DS1. I figured it'd be great for DS2. Wrong! I HATE it this time. I don't know why. I know how to use it, but it seems so uncomfortable. I'm actually giving it away. I'm using my BabyHawk mei tai ALL THE TIME now. (DS2 is 2.5 weeks).
#7 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
t1h

first of all i love ur thread title . i loooved my moby with ds1 but with ds2, meh. and i can't use the ergo with any efficiency with him sportin' a front carry. i keep hearing about these mei teis tho and i find myslf wanting one lol. gonna go to a babywearing meeting n try it out i think

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#8 of 25 Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM

I really should try and bust out the mei tai... I haven't even tried it with Hazel yet! I've only used the pouch, ring sling and wrap! .. But all this happy mei tai talk has me thinking I need to find that silly thing (funny thing.. the last time it was used was on the day I started to go into labor! We were on a walk and dh had dd3 in it!)...

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#9 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 12:58 PM

I love my moby, DS is asleep in it as I type. We utilize all of our carriers, I love the mei tai for tossing Bram on my back and going.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014

#10 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have one and ds is one month and I have yet to use it! Partially cause I am still recovering form c section. but dh tried it twice and baby was not happy. I keep meaning to try it now but I pick it up and just feel overwhelmed! I think we will use it eventually.
#11 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 05:59 PM

I couldn't live without my wrap. Norah loves it. I don't wear it at home though because I really don't want her to want to be in it all day long but if I go anywhere even visiting at relatives I will put her in it. This week I finally learned how to breastfeed in it which is a little strange because of the angle on my nipples but I am thankful for it anyways. I have a mei tai which I will try when Norah is older.

Mother of 6 year old boy and 2 year old girl and one on the way.
#12 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 06:49 PM

I just did the moby wrap tonight and it worked ok- now dh has him in it, this thread inspired me to go for it
#13 of 25 Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 PM

i broke out my stretchy wrap b/c of this thread... LOL Haven't used it since DD, but Avery's sleeping in it right now. I wish it was prettier though... it's just boring navy blue

http://www.facebook.com/Juvysen?v=wa...062&id=8118990 WOOT!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#14 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM

I like the wrap but I lOVE the Mei Tai!! I think I am a seasoned baby wearer and this is my favorite by far!
#15 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Can someone help you put it on. My first time was hard. Dh helped me get it down. They are tight after being washed. It really does get easier. I can do it the car, now. That took me a year.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#16 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 PM

I really wanted to use and love my Moby for this baby, but it always makes me feel like I'm wearing a giant blanket. I've worn it a couple of times around the house, but I think it's time to just give it up...I'm just not a wrap person. I typically use SSC's, but I haven't for this baby yet. So far I've been pretty happy with my ring sling, which is a little odd for me, but since all is good, I'll stick with it for a bit.

I also thought I'd use my Moby to wear my baby and my toddler, but I haven't tried it yet. I have used the RS w/the baby in front and a SSC with my toddler on my back. It worked better than I thought it would, but it's not something I should be doing while recovering from a c-section.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#17 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 05:28 PM

For those who are loving the wraps... what carries are you using? I've really only worked on/mastered the Kangaroo carry/hold ... even though on that instructional thing they have you holding onto your baby to wrap up... I put the wrap on first, then put baby in later...

I would LOVE to work on a back carry, but only think of it when dh isn't here.. and I don't think I could manage alone... but wow, I think I could actually get some sewing done and/or a bit more around the house with a back carry...

#18 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 PM

I think I'm using the hug carry... but I haven't gotten much of a chance to try anything else yet...

#19 of 25 Old 04-17-2010, 08:19 PM

I've tried it with both my kids and it just seems like way too much effort so I'm giving it to my SIL. Love my Becos and mei tai. There is no one carrier that works for everyone and life with a new baby is way too stressful to keep trying to make the moby work.

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#20 of 25 Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM

So... um... can you do a rucksack carry w/a stretchy wrap?

http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/rucksack.htm I wanna try it, but they did it w/a woven... maybe I should just break down and get a woven wrap....

#21 of 25 Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Can someone link me to where to find a mei tei online?
I just tried the moby with ds (one month old) and I found it hard! Hard on my back and cumbersome.
Plus, still recovering from c section it felt like too much for my body.
Is a mei tei easier? Can a one month old be in it?
I also have a ring sling but it is so big and cumbersome!
#22 of 25 Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 PM

there's a variety of mei tais here: http://www.theslingstation.com/meitais.html but there's tons of other brands out there, I think. If you're looking for easy, but similar, you could try a pikkolo or the oh SNAP babyhawk... http://www.babyhawk.com/ no tying involved, just buckle and go. It's one reason I love my ergo, but I don't love that it requires a special infant insert for small babies... it was great when DS was around 6 months up to now, though...

#23 of 25 Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM

DDCC--my son is 8 weeks old, and I've used my Moby probably daily for the last 6 weeks, either for running errands or getting him to nap. The first couple weeks after he was born, i was a little intimidated--I only got the nerve to try it after I saw this little boy demonstrate how to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hems-UTph5o (how cute is that?)--if he could do it, then i definitely should be able to figure it out!
My love for the Moby is dying off though--it's a little hard on my back, I feel like it looks messy, and it gets hot with all those layers of fabric. So i just ordered a Babyhawk mei tei (so fun designing your own/picking fabrics!), waiting for that to come.
The website says the oh snap can only be used with 15 lbs and up, so for a 1 month old, you'd have to get a regular mei tai.
#24 of 25 Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

I won't use a stretchy wrap for a back carry.

We do the hug hold, haven't done the outward facing kangaroo, we've also done the teibtan/rucksak with my woven. The back carry is so handy! I can't do it in the wrap without help, yet, but I often use my mei tai and santa toss Bram on my back and go.

#25 of 25 Old 04-19-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I just tried the moby with ds (one month old) and I found it hard! Hard on my back and cumbersome.
I'm kind of seeing the same thing. Ruben is over 11lbs already and the moby wrap puts a similar strain on my back that being super pregnant did.
I can't help but wonder if there is really ANY way to carry a big baby around all day that doesn't strain your back.

I have a ergo but he doesn't have the head control or size for that quite yet. I'm curious to see if it displaces the weight to my hips enough to help my back out.

I've been looking at other carrier options but they are all so $$. We lucked out and got our ring sling, ergo, and moby wrap as gifts/hand me downs so I don't really want to spend cash on another carrier.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page