darn baby acne.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It's not REALLY a problem, it's nothing more than cosmetically unpleasing.. but still... my sweet baby's cheeks just don't look quite as sweet with those darn red bumps.

IIRC, all my babes have had some baby acne, and it does seem to peak (for me... or rather, my babies) around 6-8 weeks or so... Hopefully it won't last long... So yeah, not a big deal, just not super fun. That's all.

(and really, if that's all I have to complain about, life. is. good!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand. My kids have all had it, but I think it was worse w/ both boys. My older DS had it more like at 6-8 weeks IIRC. DS2 just had a big breakout at about 4-5 weeks. In our case, it was bad for a week and now looks better. We'll see if it stays away.

He also (like my other DS) is losing his hair. THis time it is male-pattern though LOL...only on top...the sides are still there and firmly attached for now.

Hopefully it will pass soon for your little one!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 PM

my girl's came early--2 weeks-ish. Still here! :/ I feel the same way. Nothing so precious should have so much acne AND a plugged eye duct!

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM

DD is 5 weeks and just started getting baby acne. And of course this weekend is when we're expecting company in town to meet her. She seems to be getting a pretty rotten case of it, too. Rrrrr.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october View Post
Nothing so precious should have so much acne AND a plugged eye duct!
I hear you! Laura had super crusty eyes and baby acne all at the same time too

I did notice that her acne went down a little when I made an effort to touch her face less while burping her. I had been doing a lot of the burping where I was supporting her head & cheeks with my hand, and her acne faded a bit when I put a cotton cloth between her skin and mine...I guess my hands were too oily?

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
my girl's came early--2 weeks-ish. Still here! :/ I feel the same way. Nothing so precious should have so much acne AND a plugged eye duct!
oh yeah, Hazel has that too... darn goopy eyes anyway...

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 04-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Ruben's came early too + he has cradle cap that tarts on his brow. Maybe since it came early it will leave early?!

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Yes, my beautiful little girl has it too....it arrived just in time for her shower last weekend
Old 05-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Evelyn had baby acne starting at 2 weeks and it was gone by 6 weeks. Now that she's 7 weeks, we've got cradle cap right on the top of her head and near the inside of her eyebrows I brought home the little brush from the hospital, but I keep forgetting to use it. I've been putting some extra CA Baby Lotion on her eyebrows and it has helped a ton!

Yeah, it really really stinks to have such a beautiful baby with bad baby acne. I know it doesn't bother them, but it totally bothered me! (and I'm trying to not feel guilty for not liking it, too)

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 AM

nora is a wreck! i was joking when she cries that she's saying,'i've got acne and i've gained 3 lbs!"
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

darn baby acne is still here and still going strong... and it's even somewhat on her upper chest, back of her neck and on her upper back so adorable, but so pathetic looking with all the red bumps... *sigh*

Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deir View Post
nora is a wreck! i was joking when she cries that she's saying,'i've got acne and i've gained 3 lbs!"
Haha! I do the same thing almost. I tell DH, "She's whining, 'Maaamaaa, I've got acne, I've gained 4 pounds, and this diaper makes my butt look biiiiiiig!'" lol
Old 05-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean View Post
darn baby acne is still here and still going strong... and it's even somewhat on her upper chest, back of her neck and on her upper back so adorable, but so pathetic looking with all the red bumps... *sigh*
DDC crashing from April...

My baby is 5 wks old and has the same problem. That, and "crusty" ears. (What's that about?) I read somewhere that if it is on the scalp and shoulders you should suspect an allergy. So... I cut out the cow's milk in my diet and his acne seems better. I hope, hope, hope it's just timing and not really the cow's milk, though. (I can't seem to eat w/o dairy!)

The "crusty" ears are no better, though. And seriously, does anyone else have this? What is it?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH mom View Post
DDC crashing from April...

My baby is 5 wks old and has the same problem. That, and "crusty" ears. (What's that about?) I read somewhere that if it is on the scalp and shoulders you should suspect an allergy. So... I cut out the cow's milk in my diet and his acne seems better. I hope, hope, hope it's just timing and not really the cow's milk, though. (I can't seem to eat w/o dairy!)

The "crusty" ears are no better, though. And seriously, does anyone else have this? What is it?
yikes! She does have some on her head too (like the top and back)

Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 AM

It's normal to have it on the scalp and shoulders. Some people blame everything on allergies, unfortunately. That can make it really difficult for new moms, who are already worried about everything. lol
Old 05-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
It's normal to have it on the scalp and shoulders. Some people blame everything on allergies, unfortunately. That can make it really difficult for new moms, who are already worried about everything. lol
Bless you! That's just what I needed to hear.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
Thanks We've never dealt with allergies before (other than some lactose intolerance, but that's not an allergy!), and every child really IS different and I never want to get TOO comfortable in things and overlook something... because mothering is hard work! Every decision/action/reaction is second-guessed... and... phew.. Thanks. Nice to know she's 'normal' (since none of my others really had it -- especially not like this)!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm just throwing this out there....in some cases it might not be just acne.
Kara had it pretty bad, all over her face, head and neck and starting on her chest. On the advice of my big sis (maternity RN) I treated for a combination heat/fungal rash and it cleared up very quickly. Now Kara has that smooth beautiful baby skin again.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for offering other suggestions because you just never know. Thankfully, Hazel Jane's spots are finally beginning to clear up (still bumpy skin in places, but not nearly as painful-looking as before.. and finally not red!)!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 PM

Have you tried virgin coconut oil? It's not really an oil, until you rub it into your hands its more a solid.. I used it on Sashi's cradle cap & baby acne et voila. All gone. Before his bath I give him a little massage with it and let it soak in. Also, the mustela and cali baby soaps irritate the problem, we can only use the johnson & johnson in the yellow bottle with the pump. (I think it's the original?) It's great and the baby smells awesome afterwards too, not like a pina colada but a pleasing, not too-in-your-face-overpowering coconutty smell. So yes.

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM

My mom, an RN, just told me that breast milk is the most effective treatment for acne in teenagers.. I noticed that when I spread milk around her face after a good nursing sesh it has made a difference in clearing her skin. Either that or I'm crazy!

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
My mom, an RN, just told me that breast milk is the most effective treatment for acne in teenagers.. I noticed that when I spread milk around her face after a good nursing sesh it has made a difference in clearing her skin. Either that or I'm crazy!
wait a minute...are you kidding me?
How about hormonal postpartum lady breakouts?
I mean I guess it makes sense. My midwife told my to use it on rash I got from some janky plastic back disposable nursing pads so it is logical that it would be effective.
I'm totally going to try it. Is it weird that I'm going to put breastmilk on my own face?
Right, and I'm going to try it on Ruben too.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013

User Tag List