I just can't get rid of the last 10 pounds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else? I suppose I should count my blessings and be glad that its only 10...but its just enough to make it impossible to fit into most of my pre-pregnancy wardrobe, and I REALLY don't want to be wearing maternity clothes over the summer...

Maybe I should just invest in bigger pants, but there's only so much $ in our budget and we need to pay for cloth diapers and a roof repair I'm starting to feel really bummed about it and then I feel embarrassed for being so shallow. I suppose this is just a vent. Thanks for listening!

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#2 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 PM

don't feel embarrassed...if you're shallow, so am I.
I have never been someone who watched my weight or was overly concerned with my figure but somehow this feels different. Maybe it is because there are all these stretch marks that I know I CAN'T do anything about so the weight feels like something I might possibly have control over.

I still have 10-15lbs to go. I realize I'm only 6wks PP but its on my mind

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#3 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't remember when I reached my prepg weight with the others. Is it really so soon? I'm 5 wks out and have lost a bunch, but still am 12 lbs over.

Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
#4 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 PM

It's REALLY really early to expect to be back at your prepregnancy weight. I know it is hard, but give it time. Sometimes your body will hold onto a few pounds until you wean. Others have trouble keeping weight on while breastfeeding.

Go to a thrift store, or Wal-Mart, or shop in a friend's closet to get clothes if you don't have anything to wear. This too shall pass...
#5 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 12:41 AM

I've got 13 pounds to go too. But I'd love to lose 20 anyway. I felt my healthiest at 120 and 130 is my pre-pregnancy weight.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm exCITED to lose this weight! I'm only 4.5 weeks pp so I'm aiming to start running again at 6 weeks and I'm literally counting down the days... missing those exercise endorphins.

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#6 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
It's REALLY really early to expect to be back at your prepregnancy weight. I know it is hard, but give it time. Sometimes your body will hold onto a few pounds until you wean. Others have trouble keeping weight on while breastfeeding.
All of this, but the bolded part especially. Something to keep in mind is that the first several weeks it's hard to do anything, and that doesn't contribute to weight loss! It's hard to get out and exercise, other than walking the baby. It's hard to eat right. Stress eating can be a problem for some people. I know I'm guilty of stress eating. When the baby's been fussy all evening, it's midnight and everyone but the two of us is asleep, I might have a little chocolate or ice cream (well, fake coconut ice cream, since we can't have dairy) that I don't need. But hey, it gets me through the rough spot and I really don't give a crap if that's an unhealthy attitude towards food, because I don't normally have that attitude - it's not something I do when I'm not feeling sorry for myself and exhausted because I'm still up with the baby and everyone else is well-rested and SLEEPING. lol

I'm still 17 over, but I was at my lowest weight in 10 years when I got pregnant this time, so I'm perfectly happy with losing 14 or 15 more, but I really want to lose it already! I know it will take several more weeks, but it sucks because I feel like I've stalled out. I lost 26 right away, but my weight's been the same for 2 weeks now. I also don't want to buy new clothes, but I did buy a pair of jeans and a couple pairs of shorts so I'd at least have something to wear.
#7 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder to be patient. I think I probably need to remind myself that its just going to take time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
I know it will take several more weeks, but it sucks because I feel like I've stalled out. I lost 26 right away, but my weight's been the same for 2 weeks now.
I think this is why I'm feeling bummed...I lost 20 pounds right away but have been at the same weight for the past 7 weeks so I really feel stalled.

But I will try to relax and enjoy my baby.

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#8 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
I lost 26 right away, but my weight's been the same for 2 weeks now. I also don't want to buy new clothes, but I did buy a pair of jeans and a couple pairs of shorts so I'd at least have something to wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsky View Post
Thanks for the reminder to be patient. I think I probably need to remind myself that its just going to take time.

I think this is why I'm feeling bummed...I lost 20 pounds right away but have been at the same weight for the past 7 weeks so I really feel stalled.

But I will try to relax and enjoy my baby.
It funny, it was the same for me. I dropped 30+ lbs (I had gained nearly 50) almost immediately and then haven't lost anything in weeks.

It all about stretchy skirts right now. Now that my sutures are starting to feel a bit better I feel like I can get out and be more active. If that doesn't work I might buckle and buy some new jeans to tide me over. I'd really rather not, though. I'd rather spend the money on wool diaper covers.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#9 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lost all but about 4 lbs, but am now back up to like 8 lbs over my pre-preg weight. Could have to do with my eating like a horse I've been up and moving more lately, so I'm hoping it'll head back down.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 03:27 PM

I agree with lunita! It so stinking hard to get back to that pre-pregnancy weight. Take your baby out for a walk, a nice brisk walk wearing the baby every day will get that weight off in maybe another month. Be gentle with yourself. Your body is still working hard to grow that baby, don't forget that.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#11 of 31 Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 AM

I'm feeling you. I had gained 40, and I'm down 25, which is great. But that last 15 is keeping me in clothes-finding purgatory!

I was at the top of my weight range anyway when I got pregnant. If I had been at my more normal weight and I still had 15 to go, I could probably fit into a lot of my regular clothes. The maternity pants are falling off my tush, and I can't squeeze into my summer "uniform" cargo shorts yet! And of course, being on maternity leave, we've got no money for me to spend on transitional clothes. GRRR!!!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#12 of 31 Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Still 10lbs off my normal weight also. And I don't picture loosing it for awhile.
Plus my hips are still spread. I can't fit into my "big" clothes which I know I fit into at this weight previously. There are 3-4 inches before I can button some of my pants. Frustrating!

With the last two I didn't start shedding that 10lbs till at least 6 months. And for it to come off...I only managed that with my first (with no extra effort other than introducing solid foods).

Give it time.
And accept some of the permanent/semi-permanent changes for the gift of carrying your child for 9 months.
#13 of 31 Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM

I wish I only had 10 or 15 lbs. to lose. I gained like 50 lbs., and still had 20 to lose from my previous baby. I have at least 40 lbs. to lose. I have a plan for gradually increasing my physical activity over the next several months, so I think it will eventually come off, but none too soon for me.
#14 of 31 Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I wish I only had 10 or 15 lbs. to lose. I gained like 50 lbs., and still had 20 to lose from my previous baby. I have at least 40 lbs. to lose. I have a plan for gradually increasing my physical activity over the next several months, so I think it will eventually come off, but none too soon for me.
I've actually lost all of my pregnancy weight but (wait, don't hate me) I started my pregnancy obese (according to the bmi calculators) & only gained 20 pounds. I still have at least 40 lbs. that I need to lose.
#15 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 AM

I read somewhere a pound a week is what is the average "healthy" weight loss for postpartum. I have no idea if that is true, but it sounds about right.

I am wishing we had the money to spend on a belly binder because my belly still looks like I am 20 weeks pregnant. Trying to be gentle with myself though, but it is hard! Plus it doesn't help that I crave things like chocolate ice cream and avocados incessantly Some good fats at least
I didn't lose that last 5-10 lbs last pregnancy until I weaned 1.5 years later.

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#16 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I'm in the same boat, but I'm kind of separating the weight in my mind. Right now, I'm losing the baby weight. After that, I can work on the 25 pounds that I wanted to lose [i]before[/] I got pregnant.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#17 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM

I had to do a double take that this was the March **2010** club! Mama, be kind to yourself! I had my baby in March 2009 and I STILL have those same 8 lbs... I lost all but 8 within 2-3 weeks of having the baby, and now nothing for 13 weeks, despite a lot of trying.

It's just NORMAL. Do yourself the favor and get some pants/skirts/shorts that FIT and that you feel good in. There is nothing that makes women feel nastier than trying to squeeze into too small clothes. Your hips spread as well, so even if you lose all the weight you may very well never be the same size.

There was a great article in the New York Times recently about how genetically programed women's bodies are to hold onto extra weight in our childbearing years (and beyond)... how even if you work out an hour a day your body will seek out additional calories to compensate. While you are still BFing, just be gentle on yourself and realize that those pounds are there biologically to support your baby, so that if you have a bad few days of eating you still have everything in your body needed to make perfect milk.

I've had more luck focusing on *toning* my body, not just dropping weight. Curves look better when they have a little muscle shape to them!
#18 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 AM

ddcc-

I'm only 4 weeks out, but I am still annoyed that I lost 20-25 pounds right away, and haven't lost even a bit of the last 5-8. I've actually gained one back now that I have some sort of appetite.

I actually don't really care about the number on the scale, but the change of shape of my body is frustrating. It means that my size 7-9 pants don't even think about going over my thighs. I tried on some size 11s last night that I also couldn't get over my thighs.

So somehow I need to find a store that sells clothes in adult sizes that don't fit like "mom jeans" all while trying to deal with a newborn! I know there are pants out there somewhere that will go over my thighs, then over my hips, and then button around my squishy belly. I just don't know WHERE they are! Perhaps old navy. But, I do know that having to wear maternity jeans isn't doing anything good for my self esteem.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#19 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
ddcc-

I'm only 4 weeks out, but I am still annoyed that I lost 20-25 pounds right away, and haven't lost even a bit of the last 5-8. I've actually gained one back now that I have some sort of appetite.

I actually don't really care about the number on the scale, but the change of shape of my body is frustrating. It means that my size 7-9 pants don't even think about going over my thighs. I tried on some size 11s last night that I also couldn't get over my thighs.

So somehow I need to find a store that sells clothes in adult sizes that don't fit like "mom jeans" all while trying to deal with a newborn! I know there are pants out there somewhere that will go over my thighs, then over my hips, and then button around my squishy belly. I just don't know WHERE they are! Perhaps old navy. But, I do know that having to wear maternity jeans isn't doing anything good for my self esteem.
try old navy or gap. I hate the "mom jeans" thing, too, but you're looking at juniors sizes, there (odd numbers) and they're just not cut for a post childbirth body at all. I like the ones at old navy - I'm "normally" (uh, before i had my first and have been pregnant or nursing for the last 5 yrs..) a size 4-6 there... Since I've been anywhere from a 10 to a 6, but at least they're not mom jeans

I also seem to hold on to those last 5 lbs for nursing and have a ravenous appetite when nursing... I've actually gained a few pounds that had dropped off. I'm not actually sure how close i am to my pre-preg weight this time, though, because half way through my pregnancy my cat peed on my scale and I tossed it... which wouldn't be an issue if that scale was *anywhere* near accurate, but it was somewhere around 5 lbs off accurate. So, if the new scale is more accurate, i may be only a couple pounds up (though my belly is still pretty loose so it makes it hard to wear too many of my pre-pregnancy clothes) or I may be like 10 lbs up if the scale is not so accurate I'm guessing I have a few pounds to drop still... and I'm trying *so hard* to curb this crazy carb craving appetite, but it's not going so well

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#20 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
It means that my size 7-9 pants don't even think about going over my thighs. I tried on some size 11s last night that I also couldn't get over my thighs.
You probably know this, but just in case you don't: odd numbered sizes are "juniors" and even numbers are "misses." Junior sizes are cut slimmer, especially around the hips and bust, and are generally designed for younger women who haven't had kids yet. You may do better switching to 8s and 10s than trying to fit into an 11. (And yes, you can find cool clothes in misses sizes!)

#21 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 PM

I love Old Navy... not only for cheap non-mom clothes (in every size possible), but because they have TALLS! hooray!

As for sizing... I'm at where I was pre-pregnancy.. but I really didn't gain anything, so I didn't have anything to lose. I just have to work to not go back UP! (seriously, this crazy appetite thing is going to be the death of me!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#22 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 PM

Yep, I was trying to say in my post that I needed to go from juniors sizes to adult sizes, but re-reading it I realize that I didn't actually make that clear at all. I suppose that's what happens when one NAKs.

Thanks for the Gap suggestion. I'll try there and Old Navy the next time I get brave enough to leave the house with the baby!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#23 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM

nak

haven't read all replies, but...

...someone once told me you should give yourself a year to get back to pre-pregnancy weight.
#24 of 31 Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 PM

i figure i have about 45-50 lbs. to lose, and it isn't going to happen overnight. i am tired of the weight, but i am not going to do anything, except increase my physical activities and eat well. it will happen eventually, and in the meantime, i'm going to buy some clothes i like that make me feel good. 5 weeks pp is too early to stress about it.
#25 of 31 Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 AM

I just got some really cute capris at Kohl's yesterday. They were in the juniors department, but they FIT! I don't know the brand, but they say "denim light" (or is it "lite"?") on the tag, which I assume is because they're a very lightweight denim - perfect for summer. They're loose and I love them, so if you have a Kohl's, maybe try there.

My hips have definitely been bigger since DD1 was born. Even after I lost all the weight, my favorite jeans would never fit again. This time they're even bigger, but I can't tell if that's all due to the extra 15 pounds or if they're stuck that way.
#26 of 31 Old 05-08-2010, 05:28 PM

nak

ha! i started to GAIN weight from indulging in all my caloric desires.. i.e. cookies n chips.

possibly because i was eating 3x a nite after nursing because i was STARVing.

back to no cookies n chips but thats about all im changing.

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#27 of 31 Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM

9 months on, 9 months off. That's what I try to tell myself.

I do not diet if at all possible, I exercise. That is, I always try to eat healthy foods to nourish myself, but I do not restrict quantity. I'd rather lift weights.

This PP, I am really struggling with pelvic organ prolapse so I am not only not exercising at 7 weeks pp, I am trying to rest more than normal.
I'd rather have an extra 15 lbs than have my uterus and bladder fall out of my vagina. Sorry TMI, I just can't talk about this with anyone IRL and I am really feeling bad about it.

So, please be gentle with yourself, both emotionally AND physically. (I am reminding myself just as much as I am reminding all of you.)
#28 of 31 Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM

I just bought the book "lose your mummy tummy" which is more about fixing diastasis (which most mamas have to some degree, apparently) than losing weight. It also talks about fixing your perineum and which exercises not to do (b/c it'll make things worse until you get stuff fixed up).

Anyway, MiaMama, your post made me think of it. I just got it (on my kindle that I got for mother's day ), so I haven't read tooo far yet, but seems useful...

#29 of 31 Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I just bought the book "lose your mummy tummy" which is more about fixing diastasis (which most mamas have to some degree, apparently) than losing weight. It also talks about fixing your perineum and which exercises not to do (b/c it'll make things worse until you get stuff fixed up).
Jenna-I was looking at this book too. It's in my library system, just haven't picked it up yet. I have a pretty bad separation this time around. Let us know what you think!

Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
#30 of 31 Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
You probably know this, but just in case you don't: odd numbered sizes are "juniors" and even numbers are "misses." Junior sizes are cut slimmer, especially around the hips and bust, and are generally designed for younger women who haven't had kids yet. You may do better switching to 8s and 10s than trying to fit into an 11. (And yes, you can find cool clothes in misses sizes!)
You know, I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMama View Post
9 months on, 9 months off. That's what I try to tell myself.)
I agree with this. Be gentle on yourself. With my first daughter, I hung on to that last 10 or 15 pounds for over a year. Then she started walking and I was chasing her and going for more walks (often with her in the mei tei on my back or front), and she stopped nursing as much, and before I knew it I was 15 pounds below my prepregnancy weight, which put me right at the bottom of my BMI. This time I'm 15 pounds up from what I started still, but that puts me at my prepregnancy weight from my first daughter, so I'm okay with it. Though for some reason I still don't fit in most of my prepregnancy pants even from DD1 even though I'm the same weight. (Must be the juniors vs misses thing or something.)

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page