Evelyn is 9 weeks and not smiling yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas! It's been about 8 weeks since I've posted on here. Life with a newborn has left me little time to do anything besides bathe, eat, wash diapers, and let my boob hang out all day for the baby.

Evelyn is doing fabulously health-wise, nursing very well, gaining weight, pooping, peeing, holding her head up, being generally adorable, but she's *still* not smiling. I think she has sort of smiled at me about 5 times since she's been born and I read that this is still normal. Some babies don't smile until 3 months, am I right? I know this is lame.. every baby develops at their own pace and this doesn't mean she's necessarily abnormal. I still feel pretty tense that I can't get her to smile. My DP's youngest sister is severely autistic so there's this nagging in my head that makes me wonder if Evelyn is going to be the same way.

Ugh! Can anyone please help me feel better about this smiling thing or offer some words of wisdom? Thanks.

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
#2 of 4 Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikelet View Post
Hey Mamas! It's been about 8 weeks since I've posted on here. Life with a newborn has left me little time to do anything besides bathe, eat, wash diapers, and let my boob hang out all day for the baby.

Evelyn is doing fabulously health-wise, nursing very well, gaining weight, pooping, peeing, holding her head up, being generally adorable, but she's *still* not smiling. I think she has sort of smiled at me about 5 times since she's been born and I read that this is still normal. Some babies don't smile until 3 months, am I right? I know this is lame.. every baby develops at their own pace and this doesn't mean she's necessarily abnormal. I still feel pretty tense that I can't get her to smile. My DP's youngest sister is severely autistic so there's this nagging in my head that makes me wonder if Evelyn is going to be the same way.

Ugh! Can anyone please help me feel better about this smiling thing or offer some words of wisdom? Thanks.
I don't have any words of wisdom, but I have a
I'm a FTM, but I've read it could take a couple months for actual smiles.
Now, if she was'nt interacting at all with you, I might start to worry, but sounds like she's doing all the other stuff, so I would'nt worry!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-15-2010, 12:55 PM

My first wasn't a smiler. He smiled in his sleep but not when awake, just a serious kid.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 4 Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds1 was like that... I think he was 10 or 12 weeks when we finally got full on smiles? And even then it wasn't frequently. He was just a stoic kid. He wasn't overly fussy or anything, either, just stoic. Hopefully you'll get to see those lovely smiles soon

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page