birth control? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other thread today has me really thinking about this.

I'm curious what others are doing for birth control. I feel like all the options kind of blow but I really don't want to get pregnant again in the immediate future.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#2 of 17 Old 05-26-2010, 10:57 PM

nak

i am finally succumbing to the copper iud.
midwife + dh talked me into it.
i hate everything else except a vasectomy. dh won't do it. why is it always up to us???

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#3 of 17 Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
surgical and hormonal options have too many side effects, for my comfort (same w/a copper IUD), and condoms feel... wasteful...
Last time we used FAM and abstinance/pull out, which worked, but isn't a guarantee. My midwife suggested a cervical cap which feels like a hassle for me but I might go for it.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 PM

We use charting + withdrawal, though now that we don't want any more kids we'll likely use charting + abstinence on fertile days. DH plans to get a vasectomy but I've asked him to wait at least a year or two, just in case. My cycles didn't come back for almost two years last time anyway, so he's okay with waiting.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#5 of 17 Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 PM

I was planning on getting a copper IUD again, since we might have one more. Depending on how bad my prolapse is, we may decide to definitely stop now. If that happens, he'll get a vasectomy.
#6 of 17 Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 PM

Copper IUD! I love it. What are other people's aversions to it? I think it's totally magical - you don't have to use condoms and you don't have to mess with hormones.

<3

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#7 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 01:11 AM

I just got the Paraguard (copper IUD) and I love it so far. No hormones and I feel zero pain. I have no idea when my period will return, but when it does I am praying that it won't be too severe! I am going to chart, too. I still want to know what's going on with my body even though I have an IUD.

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
#8 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikelet View Post
I just got the Paraguard (copper IUD) and I love it so far. No hormones and I feel zero pain. I have no idea when my period will return, but when it does I am praying that it won't be too severe! I am going to chart, too. I still want to know what's going on with my body even though I have an IUD.
The only changed I noticed in my periods with the IUD was this weird thing where I'd start, have slight spotting for 2 days, stop for a day, then have my normal period. It was really weird and kind of annoying, but it was never a big deal. I did start having some really bad mid-cycle pain after I got the IUD, but after a while I decided that was ovulation pain, because it was pretty predictable when it would happen. I must just not have noticed it before having a baby or something. I am not a charter at all, but I will say that there was quite a noticeable change in my cervical mucus after getting the IUD. BIG difference. If you are charting in preparation for removal and conceiving, then that might make a difference - I have no idea.

Sayward, my husband did not really like the IUD...something about the "string" poking him all the time. lol It can cause allergic reactions in some women, some people consider it an abortifacient (it might work that way sometimes, but not most of the time). I personally have worried about the long term effects of inserting a device that is designed to cause irritation. However, I will say my concerns are somewhat mitigated by the fact that one study showed a decrease in the incidence of endometrial cancer in IUD users, so at the very least it doesn't look like they're increasing the risk, although obviously it could be some other factor causing the reduction. Some people don't like the copper IUD because it's impregnated with barium sulfate, which they are afraid is radioactive (it isn't). Then there is also the increased risk of infection, the increased risk of heavier and/or more painful periods, spotting, etc. There are a lot of reasons not to like copper IUDs. (I just also happen to think there are a lot of reasons to like them. )
#9 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the chance of heavier periods (I already get lots of painful cramps) and the potential for ectopic pregnancy and perforated uterus keep me away from the copper IUD. Plus just something about having a little thing IN my body all the time kinda creeps me out (but that's just me).

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
the chance of heavier periods (I already get lots of painful cramps) and the potential for ectopic pregnancy and perforated uterus keep me away from the copper IUD. Plus just something about having a little thing IN my body all the time kinda creeps me out (but that's just me).
This is my problem with any type IUD's. It's the same thing with me and tampons. The thought of having foreign objects in my body all the time makes me uncomfortable. It's definitely mental, but it really really bothers me. I feel like I can feel them, even when I can't "feel" them.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#11 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 04:33 AM

We are trying out the Marquette method of NFP right now but also charting NFP/FAM as well.

Jodi

Mom to three great boys Michael (Sept/01), Carter (Nov/05) and Reid (March/10).

#12 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 02:18 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#13 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 PM

1ht withdrawal/charting worked great for us. so for now until i can really chart it is just withdrawal.
#14 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 PM

just subbing to see what others are thinking.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#15 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 PM

We are doing nothing. Not the best plan, but if a baby happens, it happens (though with dh going back to get his Masters this fall, I might have my mom move in if it does happen!)

For what it's worth, we're Catholic so that is what is driving this. We'll do avoiding during certain dates (not really NFP, but kind of) after I get my cycles back (with my other kids it came back at 8 months pp.)

Mama of three.

#16 of 17 Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
This is my problem with any type IUD's. It's the same thing with me and tampons. The thought of having foreign objects in my body all the time makes me uncomfortable. It's definitely mental, but it really really bothers me. I feel like I can feel them, even when I can't "feel" them.
i am the same way! i hate knowing that *something* is there.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#17 of 17 Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
TLK

We use Creighton Model Fertility Care. I love that it does not change, add or take away anything from my body. I also love that Creighton has the added benefit of NaPro Technology to help assist naturally with any women's health issues or infertility.

We haven't used Marquette but I have heard great things about that too!

It took my a while to have full confidence using Creighton. Even though the success rate is that or greater compared with contraceptives, there was a hurdle I needed to get over in trusting my body instead of a device or pill. Know what I mean??? I would also relate this same idea to those who are more comfortable with bottlefeeding vs breastfd...or elective cesareans vs natural birth. Why, as a culture. are we taught to put more trust in the 'medical' vs natural..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page