mamalates or other diastasis-safe exercise? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright,
I've never been one for workout videos but these days getting to my regular yoga class is an impossibility and I just feel better when I feel strong. I have what I think is pretty mild diastasis (2 fingerwidths) so I want to know I'm not doing anything to make it worse. I walk every day with the baby in a carrier but I feel like I would really benefit from some more structured exercise time.

I found this mamalates dvd and I'm really considering buying it. The fact that it incorporates the baby is appealing and that it is specifically diastasis safe.

Has anyone tried this one or any others for that matter?

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#2 of 6 Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try doing the tuppler technique for a week or two first. The whole point of her program is to deal with diastasis. They actually have a video, too http://www.figure8maternity.com/viewItem.cfm?pid=111180

Anyway, I had a pretty bad diastasis (3 or 4 finger widths) and have been doing the sitting exercise (elevators) when I remember and it's down to less than one fingerwidth, now. I'm impressed - especially since i haven't been working that hard at it.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 6 Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 AM

I have the mamalates and I like it. If you can take a class though I think it would help figuring out the isolations. I also have the MommyTummy which is ok though boring!
#4 of 6 Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 6 Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
Are you wearing an abdominal binder while you wear the baby? If you're wearing the baby in a front carry you're supposed to wear a binder for the first 6ish months of doing so if you have bad diastasis. That's one of the biggest PP contributers, according to what I've read.
and, really?! because I NEVER wear a binder when I have him in the carrier. I'll start doing that. I actually started wearing the binder immediately after the birth and then as I got more mobile it got to uncomfortable and I totally stopped. I could at least be sure to wear it when we're out on walks.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#6 of 6 Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 PM

I wear one out on walks, but rarely around the house. It would probably help around the house too. Sometimes I'll remember before going to the store..but often forget. It really does feel better, I should try harder to remember!

Just today I took some terrycloth material (as suggested by Tuppler) and made a binder, but it's not as long as suggested. It feels pretty good, even while seated which my other does not.

Also at the end of the night, sometimes I'll put it on if I'm bouncing dd on the exercise ball and my back is really tired from the day. It really helps!

I do the elevator exercises (pull bellybutton towards spine), but have not seen a dramatic effect yet. Still 3-4 fingers wide. And certainly sporting the "mummy tummy."

Amy

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page