When do we get to see/feel our uteruses pop out? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know some of you are farther along than me, and lots of you have done this before, so I'm curious....
has your uterus peeked out from behind your pelvis yet?
when did it happen for you?
and how do you know when it does? (do you have to dig around with your fingers to find it or do you see it or....?)

I am *dying* to feel the baby move for the first time, but I know that's still a long way off (in slow motion pregnancy time anyway). So, I'm trying to focus on some threshold that is closer. Some sort of progress where I can say, "Look! Something really is happening down there!"

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM

I will be 9 wks tomorrow and my uterus is still hiding behind my pubic bone. I have no idea when it comes out either, I don't like pressing around for it, it feels funny! I think in the next few weeks...

As for movement, I felt movement with my first at 16 wks and with my second I didn't feel anything until past 20 wks, my placenta was anterier, and his movements were more 'muffled' the whole time.

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#3 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 PM

With #1, it was 9 weeks or so before I felt the top of it pop out, and it fells like the top of a water balloon. Palpating with fingers, start at your belly button (or sternum later in pregnancy) and move your way slowly down, noticing where there is resistance, and where is sore. Sometimes it is rock hard, and sometimes it is hard to even find. You'll get the hang of it. When your fundus does rise above your pubic bone, you may see a little ridge, but it really depends on the body type.

(With #2 I could feel my fundus right away, but it rose very slowly, and with #3 my uterus is super high and my fundus is already 2 inches above my pubic bone.)

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).

#4 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM

I've never been able to feel it before so I doubt I will this time. I wouldn't even know what it feels like

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#5 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM

It was probably 12 weeks before I felt my uterus the first time around. I keep feeling for it because my tummy has pooched out, but no uterus.

As for baby movement, at 12 weeks with #1, I was lying on my stomach and I felt what I can only describe as a butterfly in my uterus flitting all around. DD must have been waving her arms and legs around like crazy. If I was in any other position, I couldn't feel my baby until a week or so later. She never stopped moving or kicking or punching me the whole rest of the pregnancy. Maybe this time around my baby will be a bit nicer to mommy.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#6 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IIRC, for first time moms, you usually don't pop till after the 2nd trimester. Depends of course on your particular body shape and uterus. Multiparas tend to show earlier. This is #4 for me, I'll be 9 weeks on Friday and haven't popped yet.
#7 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM

Yep, its popped out. A good 2" above my pubic bone. My regular clothes are too tight and maternity clothes are really just too big yet so I'm stuck in that 'fat or pregnant?' phase. But then this is my 4th baby so it stands to reason that I'd show sooner.

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
#8 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 05:18 AM

I didn't feel it the first time around. I wasn't that in-tune with my body! ... I did 'show' very early though, coming from a size 0 and being a very slim person. I had to start buying maternity clothing before I even was out of the first trimester.
I am very bloated now, so having to do the same (as my normal jeans/trousers are very uncomfortable for me and I worry about squishing the baby though I know thats impossible! lol) - but its not actual 'pregnancy' showing, just bloat.

I shall be trying to feel for it now that you have all mentioned how to try and do that! hehe
Apprently though, on average, it 'pops' out around 12 weeks - though of course that is the average, it could be sooner for some and later for others.

Update, I think I can feel mine now, but I am only 8 weeks. My pubic bone is rally low though (is that normal?) - the top of it feels like its midway between my pubic hair and wher my pubic hair ends (and I don't have a lot! lol) - its like 2 inches below my c-section scar if that gives you any idea. ...is that right?
#9 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 AM

so glad for this thread! i was lying in bed last night, on my back and thought, hm, i should feel around. nothing. then i started to worry .

i'm 8 weeks w/ #1.

thanks for sharing your experiences!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page