Vagina talk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is normal pregnancy odour? I smell kinda fishy with no itch or unusual discharge....just thin and clear.

I know stronger smell in pregnancy is normal, but this is starting to bug me and I'm hoping it's not a sign of BV, which I don't think I've ever had (diagnosed anyways). I'm sure I've also experienced this in pregnancy before. I'm showering daily and it's causing me to change my undies a couple times a day.

I already told my hubby a while ago that oral sex during pregnancy is out of the question because I'm not comfortable with my strong smell.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 AM

Hmmm, well I'm not an expert on pregnancy as I don't have any kids earth side yet. But, I have noticed that I've been very "juicy" down there. I've actually had to start wearing panties so as not to ruin my clothes. This is a very new experience for me as I never wear panties, lol.

I haven't noticed a different scent, but my dp says both the taste and scent is stronger. But, not in a bad/fishy way. Just my own taste/scent in a more concentrated form. If that makes sense.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 09-11-2009, 03:40 AM

Can you have your ob/midwife do a swab?

I didn't have the smell/discharge symptoms with my BV infection, just sudden extreme pain. It felt like my bladder exploded. I also hadn't had one before, which is totally weird.

Anyway! Fishy smell is one of the symptoms

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 09-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Hmmm, well I'm not an expert on pregnancy as I don't have any kids earth side yet. But, I have noticed that I've been very "juicy" down there. I've actually had to start wearing panties so as not to ruin my clothes. This is a very new experience for me as I never wear panties, lol.

I haven't noticed a different scent, but my dp says both the taste and scent is stronger. But, not in a bad/fishy way. Just my own taste/scent in a more concentrated form. If that makes sense.
: I would ask for a test if the smell is really fishy, just to make sure. But my smell has definitely been stronger than usual, and I am thinking about starting to wear pantyliners everyday because the fluid is way intense!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll ask my midwife to do a swab next week.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM

I'd do the swab for sure, but I'd also like to add that my sense of smell becomes incredible during pregnancy (and it is already pretty good) so sometimes things that smell normal to my DH smell much stronger than normal to me. I always have to ask if that is a normal smell or not.

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
Old 09-11-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
I am thinking about starting to wear pantyliners everyday because the fluid is way intense!
I had to do this in my last pregnancy. And go to wearing boxer-brief style underwear because of the moisture and chafing. But not until the third trimester.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM

If it's fishy, I'd talk to a Dr or whoever you use for medical things.

Changes are totally normal, and gross LOL, but I think fishy smell is a sign of infection. Nothing embarrassing. It wouldn't be widespread info if it were rare :-)

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)

User Tag List