Halloween - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody thinking about Halloween costumes yet? For those of you who are already starting to look really pregnant, are you going to go with something that hides your belly? Or something that accentuates it?

I had decided before I even got pregnant that I was going to be Max from Where the Wild Things Are. I figured that this was a good year to do it, because the movie is coming out, so maybe people will actually "get" it.

Now I just have to figure out how to put it together with no sewing. That's always my challenge with Halloween costumes!!!

LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#2 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 AM

I'm a bad mom.
I only dress the kids and I go as "the mom who will eat their candy whilst they sleep and then act like they only THOUGHT it was more..."

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#3 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 AM

I don't dress up either. Mostly because I spend too much time making DS's costume that I don't feel like putting together something for myself. This year I am thinking of knitting him a turtle costume assuming I get over this complete exhaustion of the first trimester in time. . .

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#4 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 AM

I buy a REALLY cute halloween shirt and wear that

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#5 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 11:52 AM

i'm guilty of have never taken my kids out trick or treating or dressing them up. i always WANT to but having no support from anyone and usually no extra money by the time i think of it is quite a hinderance.

i actually have some costumes this year from clearance last year but....i'm stressed out again this year and will probably fail again.
#6 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 PM

I have the kids costumes under control. My younger two decided to wear chicken costumes we already had (whew! that was easy). My oldest decided to be a cat. I've got most of it made. I'm also making new bags for the kids and the little niece/nephews (at least planning).

We tend to trick or treat in our ILs neighborhood - a safe trick or treat neighborhood (no one hands out candy in our neighborhood for some reason). So, we drive 45 minutes and tour their neighborhood and stop in to visit. Since we still won't be telling them (unless we can't help it), I'll probably just pull out my Life is Good "Good Witch" shirt and call it good.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#7 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 PM

I have a "Pregnant Nun" costume I put together a few years ago - I thought that might be funny, since I wouldn't need the padding. I'm pretty apprehensive about the habit, though. My face is fuller than it was then & I'd risk looking like a chipmunk in a too tight party hat

I dunno - we'll probably wait till the last minute, go to Value Village & put something together.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#8 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandynee22 View Post
I'm a bad mom.
I only dress the kids and I go as "the mom who will eat their candy whilst they sleep and then act like they only THOUGHT it was more..."
me too! haha. im already looking forward to this years haul. hah.
although i usually will dress along with the color scheme. (we do matching costumes- always. its usually easiest.)

last year was bumblebees, so i wore yellow and black as well.

this year we are all doing ballerinas- i dont know what i will do when/if i have a boy haha. but i was thinking maybe getting a pumpkin t-shirt for my belly. i will be around 20 weeks then.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#9 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 PM

target has cute halloween shirts for $5. So does Old Navy.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#10 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 PM

oh i love halloween!! ds kept telling me he wanted to be a "sister" for halloween.. so I was thinking of dressing him up as a nun but then I realized he may look more like an invisible pedestrian, so I decided he could just wear a hand me down spider costume that we have (because he really doesn't seem to care, or get halloween).. then i realized that was all black too!! i'll figure something out..

i haven't even thought about dressing myself up!
#11 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Well, last year the kids were both pumpkins. I decided I wanted dd2 to be a pumpkin because she was so round, all we needed was the orange. And then dd1 decided she wanted to be one too. So, for dd1's preschool party I dressed up like a farmer, since I already had the overalls and plaid shirt and boots. A few people got it.

This year I think dd1 wants to be either a black cat or a bunny rabbit, which is cool, because we have the ears and tail, and black or white sweats are easy enough to find. As for dd2, she LOVES pretending to be a frog - hops around on the floor and says ribbitt - cutest thing EVER. So, of course, I am going to try to find some green sweats or a frog outfit of some kind. Anyone have any ideas? (I am NOT a seamstress, so it has to be something easy. I swear my sewing machine cackles and plots evil deeds when it sees me coming...)

I usually don't dress up, and don't think this year will be any exception. Between this pregnancy, work, and taking care of my mom (we are in the process of moving her to assisted living), I will be lucky to get costumes together for the kids. I might even have to buy something, though I hate doing it. Where I come from only the lazy moms bought their kids' costumes.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#12 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 02:49 PM

My girls are going as butterflies, so I may just wear a back shirt and paint a caterpillar on the belly. Aww.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#13 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 02:58 PM

Was in "the evil empire" (aka Walmart) last night for a few last minute things for dd's home birth coming up, with her ds (my grandson) being cute as can be. We went past the baby dept. because she still needed some breastmilk bags to use with the new pump. There were some really cute little outfits that weren't expensive, and we brought home a black set with bones printed on the front. Nothing to complicated, but very sweet!

Not sure how sturdy they will be, but if he wants to wear them for pajamas until they're worn out, fine. If he doesn't, then they can be packed away for a couple years until the new baby needs them.
#14 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
i'm guilty of have never taken my kids out trick or treating or dressing them up. i always WANT to but having no support from anyone and usually no extra money by the time i think of it is quite a hinderance.

i actually have some costumes this year from clearance last year but....i'm stressed out again this year and will probably fail again.
If you've got freecycle for your area, there are usually listings :-)

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#15 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 AM

So far no one but me has thought this is funny, but I want to dress up as a giant pair of paws. Like cat paws or bear paws or something. And I'll wear a shirt that really accentuates my belly.
..... So I can be a "pregnant pause".

Ok, I know, totally obscure and NO ONE will get it. But it makes me laugh so we'll see.

I have a friend who dressed up like a giant snake when she was extremely pregnant (with her head sticking out of the snakes mouth). Her giant belly was totally showing and she told everyone she was a snake who swallowed a baby. The pictures were adorable.

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

#16 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 AM

I'm afraid that I'm the Halloween grump who turns off all their lights, and hides in her house, hoping no one will ring the doorbell.

I do enjoy the post Halloween candy sales, though.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#17 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 AM

I've made DD's costumes for the last two years. But since our house is on the market, I don't want to start any projects that I have to clean up so people can walk through the house. Alas. So I'll buy her something. She's told me she wants to be Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Thomas the Tank, and a cupcake. Everytime I ask her, it is something different. The cupcake one I think I could sew in a few hours. Anything else we will have to buy.

I'm so torn about trick or treat because I don't want DD having candy. She doesn't need it. She's only 2.5 and really wants to trick or treat because we've read lots of stories about it. I have stickers for her pumpkin bag. Maybe I can just take her to a few houses. Why does everything in our culture have to involve sugar?

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#18 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 AM

I think the kids are going to be characters from Peter Pan this year. DD1 will be Wendy, DD2 will be Captain Hook, DD3 will be Tinkerbell and DS will be Peter Pan.

That's the plan anyway. Any ideas on no-sew costumes for everyone but Tink?

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#19 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
I've made DD's costumes for the last two years. But since our house is on the market, I don't want to start any projects that I have to clean up so people can walk through the house. Alas. So I'll buy her something. She's told me she wants to be Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Thomas the Tank, and a cupcake. Everytime I ask her, it is something different. The cupcake one I think I could sew in a few hours. Anything else we will have to buy.

I'm so torn about trick or treat because I don't want DD having candy. She doesn't need it. She's only 2.5 and really wants to trick or treat because we've read lots of stories about it. I have stickers for her pumpkin bag. Maybe I can just take her to a few houses. Why does everything in our culture have to involve sugar?
Do you have any friends or family nearby who would be willing to give out something not so terrible for her? Maybe you could give them something to give her that is still a "treat" but not giant reeses cups and lolipops (I say as I have two dark chocolate reeses cups on my counter). And then you could stop at a couple of random houses and for just a couple of pieces of regular candy.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#20 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 AM

My DD was 2 last year for halloween. Our entire neighborhood goes to the church on the corner to trick or treat, and they gave out lots of non-sugar treats like little bags of pretzels and goldfish, along with some candy. We let DD have a piece of candy and then distracted her and hid the bag. Then we ate it.

She was a princess last year, and she wore the costume all year long afterward, and this year she wants to be the same thing!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#21 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Well, DS is going to be Batman, if his slacker mother every starts working on the costume. He is really into Batman right now, and likes to say things like: "Mommy, tell me about Batman. Mommy, how did Batman get so good at fighting?"

Sadly, I have clinicals for nursing school the actual night of Halloween. I'm really bummed, I hate missing stuff. I was just toying around with the idea of having a little Halloween party here Friday night. If we do, I won't dress up, maybe just get a cute Halloween shirt.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#22 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 AM

I think I could put in the effort to wear a halloween shirt.

Carley, I love the pregnant nun!! share a picture!!

ds is going to be a train engineer.

Cafe Press has hundreds of maternity t's.. I like the ones that are like little costumes on the baby- a pair of glasses or something. And one that says I swallowed a pumpkin seed.
http://shop.cafepress.com/maternity-halloween?page=1

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#23 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 04:03 PM

I LOVE halloween and try and dress up every year. In recent years though I've been pregnant or near a miscarriage, so I've lost some of the spirit.

But, I'm SO EXCITED because this is the first year since their dad and I divorced (2001) that my kids are with me on halloween so I get to plan their costumes and take them TorT. My almost 11 year old may not have many years of this left!!

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#24 of 29 Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 AM

For those worried about candy, my mom would switch out my Halloween stash for healthy "candy", i.e. individually wrapped dried fruit, small boxes of raisins, apples, nuts, etc. I never noticed the difference. She had it planned the night before. She'd put the healthy stuff in the same exact bag I would use to trick or treat, and then switch it out once we got home.

It was a good system, which I plan on implementing myself. Mainly because then I get to eat all the junky candy.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#25 of 29 Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 AM

some friends of mine "adopt a sugar sprite" who can only live on candy... they are allowed a few pieces, but the rest goes toward the welfare of the sugar sprite.

We go to my Church's Trunk-or-Treat every year. People gather and park their cars in a large parking lot. They open their trunks or the backs of their vehicles and decorate them. Then they pass out candy from their trunks. The event provides a safe family environment for trick or treaters. We dress up and go and enjoy the others costumes and the decorations on all the trunks and the barbecue and the people... and we come away with ZERO candy DS will get a few pieces while we are there, but thankfully he's not that into candy yet. By the time he is it will be second nature to do it this way.

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#26 of 29 Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 AM

My kids are so not in to candy that we really don't even worry about it on Halloween. Every Halloween we throw away all the Easter candy. Christmas we throw away the Halloween candy. Valentine's day we throw away the Christmas candy. Seriously, it can sit there all the time. They just aren't interested.

I have weird kids.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#27 of 29 Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 AM

my favorite Halloween costume is a pregnant nun.....but this year I might not need the pillow!
#28 of 29 Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 AM

I'm going to paint a pumpkin on my belly. My DH wants me to be a kangaroo for some reason. Hunter is probably going to be a duck, saw a real cute duck costume and he loves ducks.
#29 of 29 Old 09-21-2009, 05:18 PM

When I was preggers with ds1 I went to a party as a mummy, ha! I wrapped myself in strips of an old sheet with a body suit underneath and showed off my little bump

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page