nursing bras? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe I'm even thinking about this already!

Anyways... within the first month of being pregnant I had already gained at least a cup size. So my almost brand new bras have not been fitting too well. I think this is part of the reason I continue to be so, so sore. So, I've finally decided to go out and get some new ones.

Here's the question... should I just buy nursing bras now, in hopes that they will fit when I need them, or at least at some point? Or should I just get some bigger regular bras and buy new bras (AGAIN!!) after the baby is here and I will know if my cup size is going to change again?

I know I will probably grow again when I begin lactating, but I hate wasting money on bras... it seems like they are so overpriced, at least for ones with good support (which I need).

Any suggestions? And if you think I should just go for the nursing bras, any recommendations for good brands?

Thanks!

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#2 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 11:10 AM

#3 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 11:55 AM

I bought one bra for pregnancy and honestly, don't plan on buying more until after my milk comes in. I bought a Bravado.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#4 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 11:57 AM

from my last pregnancy, Bravado made these wonderful bras that were like sports bras and I had gotten a XL(well 3 bras). They are perfect now cause they are comfy and because they are a XL they fit still.
I don't know how big you are or if that would work. You should go get measured first.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#5 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 12:56 PM

i second bravado - they saved my life last time!
#6 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 PM

I would not buy a nursing bra this early. They cost more than regular bras, and if you go up in size, it will be useless. Plus, you will have already worn it a lot by the time you actually need it & mine from last pg got v stretched out by a year (& they were excellent bras). I highly recommend the Goddess brand for bras (nursing and regular).

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#7 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 PM

I love my blue canoe bra, and use it for nursing and sleeping.
http://www.bluecanoe.com/e-store/pro...=3111818359960

The nice thing about it is that it is not a strict bra size. It has some stretch, and is supportive without having wires. If I am leaving the house (and not just in yoga clothes ) then i wear a more structured bra, but woulnd't have to i suppose.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#8 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 04:08 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZNEV82BRYZ6EBK

I got these wit my first - 3 for $10, very cheap, and I love it more than any of my nursing bras. IDK how it would be for support if you are very large chested. I am regularly a B and went up to a D, then C. Anyway, could just pull the bra up to nurse or down to nurse, so it worked with any kind of shirt. And it looks like a tank, so its great for layering. Plus, comfortable enough to sleep in and no wire to cause a blocked duct.

I am a 34 pre-pregnancy, and I bought a 36 to start which was comfortable and because I thought I needed the extra room, but noticed that I was showing more cleavage than I would have liked, so I stuck to the 34, which is perfect.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#9 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 PM

I would buy new bras after the baby is born personally.
I never spend much on my 'normal' bras - I always got to ASDA or some such place (equive to Americas 'Wallmart') - where I can get comfy good bras for £4. It isnt victoria secrets lol...But they do the job and I have yet to have any problems with them!

I splash out afterward though. I love my crossover nursing bras, which actually don't go by a specific size.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#10 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 PM

Maternity shops often have little bra band extenders that hook on to the back of your bra and make it another 2 inches or so bigger. They're good to extend the use of your regular bras during pregnancy.
#11 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
Maternity shops often have little bra band extenders that hook on to the back of your bra and make it another 2 inches or so bigger. They're good to extend the use of your regular bras during pregnancy.
This is a great idea, I love being able to extend the life of my pre-pregnancy clothes. Unfortunately the band size on my bra is good for now, I haven't gotten any bigger around yet, just not staying within my bra cups.

Thanks for all the great recommendations so far, I think I'm just gonna look for some inexpensive bras to get me through my pregnancy and wait to get any nursing bras until I'm 8-9 months along.

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#12 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 PM

I loved Bravado nursing bras with the last one, and will likely get a couple this time too, but I think I want a couple Blue Canoe bras too.

I wouldn't buy a nursing bra this soon though. I was an H last time but not sure how big I'll get this time.

Right now I'm mostly living in tank tops with shelf bras because all my regular underwire hurt way too much.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#13 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 PM

I wouldn't buy nursing bras now, because ime your boobs change continually through the pregnancy. The only exception might be if you bought some sports-bra style bras because they don't have such specific cup sizes.

I hate underwire and can't afford nursing bras, so I use front-fastening sports bras from walmart. I still have the same 2 bras I bought when I was pregnant with ds and they have held up fine through all sorts of size changes.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#14 of 22 Old 09-20-2009, 03:45 AM

It might work to buy a nursing bra now- after extended breastfeeding, my boob shrank back down a lot, and I no longer fit into the holy-cow-my-milk-just-came-in sized ones anymore.
I bought one at target for like $10, and it had no underwire, making it extra comfy. It was nice to have a nursing bra all worn in and ready to wear when I was at the hospital. And if it's only ten dollars, what's the difference between buying a regular $10 one, or a $10 one that has the capacity for a second purpose? It's good to have a few different sized nursing bras as things change, and I'm not into the sports bra styles.
I did end up going shopping two days after ds was born- nothing in the world could have prepared me for how big I got. a C cup! For my it's-not-humanly-possible-to-ever-fill-up-an-A-cup chest!

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#15 of 22 Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
I did end up going shopping two days after ds was born- nothing in the world could have prepared me for how big I got. a C cup! For my it's-not-humanly-possible-to-ever-fill-up-an-A-cup chest!
You'd think that I'd be spending all this time dreaming of what my baby will look like, wondering what color hair/eyes/etc. Wondering if it will have hair, or be bald.

But no. My mind keeps wandering back to, "just how big WILL my boobs get?"

This coming from another "barely an A cup" lady.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#16 of 22 Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanta View Post
Thanks for all the great recommendations so far, I think I'm just gonna look for some inexpensive bras to get me through my pregnancy and wait to get any nursing bras until I'm 8-9 months along.
I wouldnt even buy nursing bras that early. It is recommended that you wait 2 weeks post partum to buy a nursing bra b/c then your milk will have come in and you will have an accurate size. I bought a giant stretchy sports-style nursing bra that worked well enough for the start & had to buy my real nursing bras at 1 wk pp b/c we had a fancy party. I was able to get an accurate fit by then. The biggest reason I highly support this advice is b/c I went from a G the day dd was born all the way up to a J by one week later. Even if I had anticipated and sized up, I would have never guessed I would go that large!

jumpers.gif

#17 of 22 Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
I wouldnt even buy nursing bras that early. It is recommended that you wait 2 weeks post partum to buy a nursing bra b/c then your milk will have come in and you will have an accurate size. I bought a giant stretchy sports-style nursing bra that worked well enough for the start & had to buy my real nursing bras at 1 wk pp b/c we had a fancy party. I was able to get an accurate fit by then. The biggest reason I highly support this advice is b/c I went from a G the day dd was born all the way up to a J by one week later. Even if I had anticipated and sized up, I would have never guessed I would go that large!
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's good I don't plan to do anything for a few weeks after the baby is born. I'll just figure it all out then

I went shopping yesterday and picked up some new bras. First time I've ever bought underwire-free ones because they weren't comfortable before, but now the underwire is causing a lot of my soreness. Anyways, I couldn't believe how much I've grown already. I had to buy 38DD when last year I was just a 36 C!

#18 of 22 Old 09-21-2009, 01:26 PM

I like sports bras. They're comfortable and inexpensive, so I can afford to have lots on hand during that stage where I could leak through a flood wall and still have more left over. I tend to have oversupply, so they tend to grow to the size of bowling balls and I feed babe and they're still huge, and I have to pump just to relieve pressure, so with all that change in size such a short time and tend to soak through...

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)
#19 of 22 Old 09-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanta View Post
Anyways, I couldn't believe how much I've grown already. I had to buy 38DD when last year I was just a 36 C!
I know, isnt it crazy??? I went from a DD pre-pg all the way up to a J by the time my milk came in!

jumpers.gif

#20 of 22 Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM

i was barely a b cup at the start of my first pregnancy, was barely a c cup by the time i had her, and by 3 days pp was almost a DD, now, i have one thats a b, and one thats a d!

you never know what luck has in store for you, isnt having babies fun?!?!?!
#21 of 22 Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Here's my two cents, based on having been there and done that before.

Last pregnancy, my first, I was wearing my regular underwire bras. By 5 months, I was in pain. I didn't even realize why. Then a friend said, DUH! Your bras! So I wore tank tops from then on. I found a ballet style one from Lululemon that was awesome.

After having the baby, I bought a few Bravado bra's from London Drugs ( for those of you in Western Canada ). They go on sale big time once in awhile. They are the best nursing bras I have ever tried. Some of the Wonder Bra nursing bras from Sears etc... really suck big time.

I am already wearing the Bravado bras now. They are so much more comfortable, and even though I am not using the nursing part, it doesn't get in the way. I will definitely buy a few more.

Oh and forget those ridiculous nursing bras from Thyme Maternity and Motherhood Maternity. YUCK! They make my boobs look like torpedoes!!!

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
#22 of 22 Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

PS, Bravado bras come in S, M and L.... so buying them early isn't that big of a gamble as they stretch. I was a B before ever being pregnant.. and now I am around a C.. and I still wear the small size.

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page