VBAC Support thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a place for support and lots and lots of love and good vibes for all our VBAC-ing mamas.

We phrase things in the positive here - I WILL have my VBAC. Nobody here is trying, we are HAVING our VBACs.

This is a place for positive and uplifting VBAC experiences and stories to be shared, and for us to post our fears and have them reassured.

We welcome any positive stories of VBAC and any support and encouragement from women who have VBAC-ed before or who just want to send us love.

Please respect this as a positive space, and we will all get amazing support from each other that will lead to births that are powerful and right for mama and baby.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#2 of 60 Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks for starting this! I'm sure I'll check in more and more the closer we get to April! Right now I'm super excited and confident. I did a ton of reading and research before I got pregnant, but I don’t think I have picked up a book about it since! I have found a wonderful homebirth midwife who didn't bat an eye when I said I would be VBACing.

My wonderful hubby understands that this is VERY important to me and he didn’t argue when I brought up the idea of a homebirth. I though he would take some convincing, but he just said that he knew I had done my homework on it and if a homebirth is what I need to do he would support me 100%. I can’t wait till April to read everyone’s successful VBAC stories and to share mine! This is going to be a great ride and I’m so excited to get to know you all.

~Becca
Wife to DH 8/2003; Momma to DS 5/2007ribboncesarean.gif ; DD 5/1/2010 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg !
#3 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 AM

Thank you for starting this. Here's to all of us having our VBACs.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#4 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 AM

This is my fourth child and will be my third VBAC. I am still undecided about whether I will have another HBAC or not, but I will be having another VBAC. Luckily, the OB that I go to is very supportive of VBACs so even if I go to the hospital, I won't be fighting the uphill battle to have a VBAC that I so often hear about.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#5 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Hey there,

My first post at the April 2010 DDC (Sara I think you were in my May 2008 DDC - Congrats!)

I had a VBAC with my second child and I will be having another with this one.

You can do this ladies!!
#6 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM

I will be having a VBAC too. I will only have 12-13 months between my births, so I have to admit that every once in a while I am having moments of fear that maybe my body won't be able to handle this... I've had two previous natural births before my emergency c/s, so I'm trying to stay positive that my body has been able to do it's job in the past....

Mom to three girls and a BOY: (2003) (2007) (3/25/2009 - 4/10/2009) (5/2010)
Blogging my way through grief. Look in my profile for link.
#7 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Nate'sMama! I remember you!

Alternamama, good to see you here. I remember you from PAL. I think your body will be fine. My OB said the scar is as strong as it will ever be 3 mo after your surgery.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#8 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 01:58 PM

I have been working toward this VBAC for 3 YEARS! Reading, studying, listening to others stories, participating in ICAN, you name it!

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#9 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 02:16 PM

I am going to have a homebirth VBAC too. I am very excited about being the FIRST to touch my baby outside the womb (as opposed to the last). I cannot wait to hold her (I am certain it's a girl).

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#10 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 PM

Way to go Mamas!!

I had a VBAC 19 months after my c-section for breech.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#11 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Just wanted to bump this up for the first time VBAC ladies who might be feeling a little, well, whatever it is that they might be feeling today :-)

You can do this!!
#12 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM

Longtime lurker in this DDC, just jumping in to say I LOVE this thread! I just did a little dance when I saw it I've been studying and preparing for this VBAC since just after I had DD (now 3) and I am SO READY and so excited. I'm happy to have a group of mamas to prepare with! We can and will do this.
#13 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 04:46 PM

Not in your DDC but just had to say what a great thread! The power of intention is all you need. I had my HBAC in July and never once had any doubt or fear. If you think it, it will be!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#14 of 60 Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM

How are all you VBAC ladies feeling??

Just checkin' in again...

#15 of 60 Old 02-10-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

#16 of 60 Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 PM

I appreciate this thread and all the good, positive vibes! It's really bad timing for me to be finally dealing with the fact that I will not get a homebirth, but on the bright side I am doing pretty darn good about coming to terms with birthing in a hospital.

Instead of focusing on the negative: the loss of my homebirth dream, I am now focusing on all the wonderful positives; my OB practice is so pro-VBAC it's almost unbelievable (I had a conversation with one of the doctors about the unlikely scenario that I go to 42 weeks and being induced but instead wanting a c-section because I didn't want the drugs to increase my risk of uterine rupture and she said that we won't use cervical ripeners or too much pitocin and she still would rather see me attempt a vaginal birth with induction than just schedule a section - what doc would educate you and spend the time to go over all the pros of induction for VBAC????), I can do a waterbirth and actually give birth in the tub at the hospital, my doula from my first birth will be attending me, the hospital is really pro natural and VBAC birthing...

I CAN DO THIS!!! I CAN HAVE A GREAT VBAC!!!

Go ladies, we can all do this!

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
#17 of 60 Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so happy you have such a supportive team at the hospital, Drew! Sounds like the best possible alternative to a homebirth. Keep us updated.

#18 of 60 Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM

I'm really confident, and I think Hypnobabies has helped tremendously in that regard. It also helps to know that this baby is head down at nearly 33 weeks, because DD was breech and that was the cause of my C-section with her.

I WILL DO THIS!!!

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

#19 of 60 Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Do we have the same OB??

I too would rather homebirth, but honestly my hospital VBAC was wonderful!

And yes you can do this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerforever1977 View Post
I appreciate this thread and all the good, positive vibes! It's really bad timing for me to be finally dealing with the fact that I will not get a homebirth, but on the bright side I am doing pretty darn good about coming to terms with birthing in a hospital.

Instead of focusing on the negative: the loss of my homebirth dream, I am now focusing on all the wonderful positives; my OB practice is so pro-VBAC it's almost unbelievable (I had a conversation with one of the doctors about the unlikely scenario that I go to 42 weeks and being induced but instead wanting a c-section because I didn't want the drugs to increase my risk of uterine rupture and she said that we won't use cervical ripeners or too much pitocin and she still would rather see me attempt a vaginal birth with induction than just schedule a section - what doc would educate you and spend the time to go over all the pros of induction for VBAC????), I can do a waterbirth and actually give birth in the tub at the hospital, my doula from my first birth will be attending me, the hospital is really pro natural and VBAC birthing...

#20 of 60 Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerforever1977 View Post

Yes, having a supportive OB is wonderful! I had a hospital VBAC with my second child and I did use an OB. He should have his own fan club. LOL He is one of the two really supportive VBAC providers in my area and unofficially backs up the home births in the area as well. I am planning another HBAC this time, but I know that if I need to transfer to the hospital, I'll be able to transfer and have this OB. Also, I know that if I end up with another c-section, I know it's probably actually necessary unlike with my first child (different OB).

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#21 of 60 Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 AM

doing great!

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#22 of 60 Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM

I am feeling pretty good. Baby is head down - really important as my CS was for breech presentation. This is my second VBAC, so my OB is pretty positive. Baby is measuring small, so i am hoping it keeps growing on the curve and we have no complications. I am worried about a need for induction - if we go down that road, my chances for VBAC are less and less likely as OB is not too pro any type of induction. Although, he did say not to be a doomsdayer and look at the positives!
#23 of 60 Old 02-11-2010, 05:55 PM

I'm feeling great! I'm getting really excited about the birth, but also have some fears that I need to work through. Nothing major, just fear of the same thing happening again, which intellectually I know is not likely. It just keeps popping into the back of my mind. I'm doing my first Hypnobabies fear release this weekend, so I'm hoping that'll help, plus I have a meeting with my doula next week for the purpose of fear release, so I'm trying to get my bases covered!
#24 of 60 Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 PM

just wanted to say i admire all of you and am sending supporting vibes via our DDC to you! blessings and luck and all things positive shine on your labors!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#25 of 60 Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM

I feel like I've turned a corner recently and have no more fears about accomplishing my vbac. Just as the third trimester started I was starting to panic and worry but now I'm staying positive and enjoying my last two months of tiny kicks and quiet moments.

I know that so much of the work I'll do to vbac will be in my head, so that's where I'm focusing my energy now!

High-altitude mama sweatin' it out in the South. Mama to DS, Feb. 07, and DD, April 2010.
#26 of 60 Old 02-14-2010, 03:37 AM

I'm very hopeful but as the birth comes closer I can't help but get nervous!!
It's also harder to keep active and avoid reclining on the couch and I want this baby in a good position!! I'm also scared it'll be a giant baby since my first was 9 lb 13 oz and at my last appointment I measured 9 weeks ahead.

Nursing a toddlerfly-by-nursing1.gifNurturing a preschooler jog.gif   

ribboncesarean.gifx2

#27 of 60 Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 AM

OK, someone reassure me. I was reading threads on the VBAC forum, and someone was saying that if you dilated to 5 or 7 cm or something in your first labor, that you'd likely go faster in your VBAC/second labor, but if you dilated less than that it would be more like a first time labor.

I went into labor naturally with DD. Early labor started around 7 pm and lasted until 3 am. Active labor started at 3 am. When they checked me around 10:30/11 am, I was only "a fingertip" dilated and 70% effaced; because I'd developed severe pre-e they sent me on to the hospital. There wasn't time to check me again at the hospital so maybe I was dilated more but we don't know because DD needed to come out immediately. (We don't know how severe the pre-e was either because there wasn't time for labs. My midwives estimate that based on her distress and tiny size, that I'd developed a pretty severe case.)

Is it realistic that this labor could be as slower or slower? Eight hours to get to "a fingertip" seemed plenty slow. I was coping fine at the time, but I'm not feeling thrilled by the notion of being in labor like a first-timer, if my first-timer experience is an indication of what I get to do again.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#28 of 60 Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Noticed today that my 11 yr old c-sec scar is quite red. I guess it's just stretched and irritated like the rest of my skin. It doesn't hurt at all though.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#29 of 60 Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Well first of all I think every labor is different.
Considering that you weren't checked agian you really have no idea where you would fall on the slopw vs. slower wive's tale :-)

For me I dialtaed to 7 cm, but that was because of a bulging bag of water. So really it was five. My labor was much quicker the second time!

But the first time I was induced with prostin, so...

Again all labors are different, but I think that the standard rule of thumb is that second and third times are quicker.

You can do this, fast or slow, difficult or easy. You can do this :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
OK, someone reassure me. I was reading threads on the VBAC forum, and someone was saying that if you dilated to 5 or 7 cm or something in your first labor, that you'd likely go faster in your VBAC/second labor, but if you dilated less than that it would be more like a first time labor.

I went into labor naturally with DD. Early labor started around 7 pm and lasted until 3 am. Active labor started at 3 am. When they checked me around 10:30/11 am, I was only "a fingertip" dilated and 70% effaced; because I'd developed severe pre-e they sent me on to the hospital. There wasn't time to check me again at the hospital so maybe I was dilated more but we don't know because DD needed to come out immediately. (We don't know how severe the pre-e was either because there wasn't time for labs. My midwives estimate that based on her distress and tiny size, that I'd developed a pretty severe case.)

Is it realistic that this labor could be as slower or slower? Eight hours to get to "a fingertip" seemed plenty slow. I was coping fine at the time, but I'm not feeling thrilled by the notion of being in labor like a first-timer, if my first-timer experience is an indication of what I get to do again.
#30 of 60 Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Hi mommas!

Just a quick note to say hi! I’ve been really bad about keeping up with everyone; all it seems like I have time to do is lurk!

I hope you all are doing good, I’ve been feeling great, except the usual aches and pains, my back and hips have been killing me. Actually went to my 1st chiropractor appointment today, hopefully that will help. Also hoping that it will help with this baby’s positioning. Ds was breech, that’s why I had the c-section, and I’ve been REALLY worried (okay obsessed!) about this baby’s positioning. I know it’s early to worry about that, but since that was the problem last time it’s a big hang-up for me now. I’m not worried about labor pains or birth or anything (I know my body can do it!) just worried that this little one get his/her head down and keep it that way! I’ve been so preoccupied with that that I forget that in 10 weeks or so there will be a new baby in our house!

So send this baby head down vibes! I’ve got you all in my thoughts and prayers!

~Becca
Wife to DH 8/2003; Momma to DS 5/2007ribboncesarean.gif ; DD 5/1/2010 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page