Can anyone else NOT feel their uterus yet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 12 weeks tomorrow and I've been reading that my uterus should be out of my pelvis by now and I should be able to feel it. I keep reading here that everyone else's fundus is like crazy high, so I am just wondering whether it is normal to NOT be able to feel it yet. I am not thin and this is my first pregnancy (well, the first that has gotten this far anyway), and I assume that probably factors in somehow.

So is there anyone else who can't find their uterus?

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#2 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 AM

When I lean against the sink in my house I can feel an odd sort of pressure down there. But I can't find it if I'm feeling for it. I wonder if we just don't know what we're looking for?

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Totally normal for this being as far along as you have ever been in your pregnancies. I think those that have been to full term pregnancies before, have less muscle tone in their abdomen in many cases, so things start to protrude faster. Not sure if we are feeling our uterus so high, or just something else. Your intestines move up and things like that too. You will see

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
#4 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Ive already had a full term pregnancy. But no, I cannot feel mine at all. The midwife had a poke around and said 'i think I can feel it, but it might be your bladder' she found the heartbeat though, so im not too concerned. Im def. 'showing' so I have no idea why we cant find it !?

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#5 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM

I can't feel mine through my padding and it's definately above my pubic bone.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#6 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM

nope cant feel mine yet, couldnt until 15 weeks last time too, i have a tilted uterus which makes it hang out behind all my "innards" until baby gets big enough for it to push through.
its totally normal not to feel it at 12 weeks, or you may be feeling it but not realize it, thats where your doctor or midwife are helpful to show you how to palpate and what you are looking for.
#7 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM

I'm 14 wks and can MAYBE feel it just above my pubic bone. Sometimes I'm sure I can and other times I'm not so sure. I thought I was feeling it higher in the morning (due to gravity or something?) but my midwife said I'm probably feeling my bowels and other stuff being displaced by my uterus... so clearly I have no idea
She probed around and said she felt it just above my pubic bone. I doubt mine was detectable at 12 wks though.

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

#8 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

This makes me feel better! Thanks y'all!

#9 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Expecting #5 here and still can't really feel it. I have better luck late at night when lying down - usually try when i go to bed.
#10 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM

whether it's the actual uterus or fat that's being pushed out of the way (I am a very hefty mamma) I can feel my lower belly getting firmer...

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#11 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM

I wouldnt know it even if I did feel it, so nope here, too!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#12 of 28 Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
When I lean against the sink in my house I can feel an odd sort of pressure down there. But I can't find it if I'm feeling for it. I wonder if we just don't know what we're looking for?
ditto!

plus, it makes me feel like puking every time i try, so i've been avoiding it....

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#13 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 AM

Honestly, I have never been able to feel my uterus until I was 20+ weeks along. Oh, I know it was above the pelvic bone and all, and my mw could feel it, but as sensitive as I am to my body, my sensitivies do not encompass touch, I guess.

The only time I have clearly felt it was further along in pg, right after orgasm, when it gets really hard and it is obvious that that is what it is.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#14 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 02:42 AM

I can't feel anything either. But, it's my first pregnancy. To be honest, I wouldn't even know what I'm feeling for ... so, for all I know, it could be out of my pelvis, but I just haven't noticed.

My mom says she didn't even start to look pregnant until 5 months with me. So ... I bet it varies with every woman.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#15 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM

I can feel mine in the morning when I first wake up, but once I'm up and moving it seems to "disappear."
#16 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM

I can feel mine if I lay down flat on my back then gently press downwards starting at my belly button. It feels like a different texture--more firm and solid--and it's right around my underwear line. About an index finger below my belly button.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#17 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
I can feel mine if I lay down flat on my back then gently press downwards starting at my belly button. It feels like a different texture--more firm and solid--and it's right around my underwear line. About an index finger below my belly button.
This is how I was taught to do it as well. Also, using the side of your hand (pinkie side), rock it back and forth and see if it is easier to find. It can be tricky, even if you know what to look for, and you know it is there (my fundus is to my bellybutton, but sometimes I just can't find it). Doing kegals can soemtimes make my uterus firm up, so you can try that as well (and you should be doing them anyway!)

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#18 of 28 Old 10-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
This is how I was taught to do it as well. Also, using the side of your hand (pinkie side), rock it back and forth and see if it is easier to find. It can be tricky, even if you know what to look for, and you know it is there (my fundus is to my bellybutton, but sometimes I just can't find it). Doing kegals can soemtimes make my uterus firm up, so you can try that as well (and you should be doing them anyway!)
Or you could do something a bit more than kegals that will make your uterus firm up. It will make the baby wiggle afterward also, if you're trying to feel those first nudges and flutters.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#19 of 28 Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 PM

My reply horrified everyone so much that I killed the thread.

#20 of 28 Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM

OMG everybody, did you SEE pepper's post??? she's talking about S-E-X! i'm scandalized!

btw, not only do i not feel my uterus, i'm wondering if anyone else is feeling really awkward instead of proud of their bumps? i've gained some weight in the past year or so, and was in hide the "bump" mode before i got pregnant.... now i'm feeling just fatter.

#21 of 28 Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM

#22 of 28 Old 10-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post

OMG everybody, did you SEE pepper's post??? she's talking about S-E-X! i'm scandalized!

btw, not only do i not feel my uterus, i'm wondering if anyone else is feeling really awkward instead of proud of their bumps? i've gained some weight in the past year or so, and was in hide the "bump" mode before i got pregnant.... now i'm feeling just fatter.
You know, up until today I'd mostly been excited by my bump. But yesterday my dad asked me how much weight I'd gained (that sounds horrible, but it made sense in the conversation) so I went and jumped on the scale and found out that I've gained 8 pounds already. I'd just gained weight right before I got pregnant, so I started out this pregnancy at my highest weight (which is still a perfectly acceptable weight, but still).

Around here I am generally either around people who know I'm pregnant, or around people I just flat out don't know. So the people who know I'm pregnant know that this little bump is pregnancy, and the people I don't know? I don't really care what they think (though I have noticed myself pushing my tummy out a bit more when I'm in public, like, "Look at me! This isn't just fat! I'm pregnant!")

But then this weekend we went to visit my parents and went to a local festival where I was bound to run into a ton of people I know. Suddenly I was feeling very self-conscious about looking like I'd just been drinking way too much beer, as opposed to being pregnant. It was made worse when I saw people who were really really pregnant and suddenly felt like my little tiny bump just looked like a fat bulge.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#23 of 28 Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM

heh, rhiorion, sounds similar to me - thanks

it isn't helping that my thighs seem to be the major player in not finding maternity pants that fit yet.

#24 of 28 Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
Or you could do something a bit more than kegals that will make your uterus firm up. It will make the baby wiggle afterward also, if you're trying to feel those first nudges and flutters.
I tried it and you were right! I was totally able to barely feel my uterus afterwards! (At least I'm pretty sure that was it.)

#25 of 28 Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
heh, rhiorion, sounds similar to me - thanks

it isn't helping that my thighs seem to be the major player in not finding maternity pants that fit yet.
Dude. WHY are all maternity pants made for people with skinny legs? What, bottom-heavy people don't get knocked up?

Oh, and rhiOrion, I think you look pretty obviously pregnant for what it's worth. Not hugely pregnant, but still! I can't wait until my bump smooths out, because right now it is kind of "B"-shaped and it DEFINITELY just looks like fat. (Which it pretty much is!)

#26 of 28 Old 10-11-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
Dude. WHY are all maternity pants made for people with skinny legs? What, bottom-heavy people don't get knocked up?
Not just people with skinny legs, but people with skinny legs, tiny arms, and NO boobs. I am five foot nothing, and yeah, I was a BIT overweight before I got pg - 128 I believe - but I am only a 36 C or so, and I am already buying XLs in some things, just to get the NOT pg bits to fit. I mean, really. I was in mediums in regular clothes before I got pg.

FWIW, though, I have an AWESOME pair of jeans from the Gap that are lovely and roomy. I lucked out and got them at a resale store last pg for $5.99, but I would totally pay full price for these, they are that comfy.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#27 of 28 Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 AM

So....I keep thinking of this thread and prodding my belly at every opportunity...and I STILL cant find it. Maybe I dont have one

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#28 of 28 Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post

FWIW, though, I have an AWESOME pair of jeans from the Gap that are lovely and roomy. I lucked out and got them at a resale store last pg for $5.99, but I would totally pay full price for these, they are that comfy.
Good to know...I have actually had really good luck with Gap clothes in the past, so I should check out their maternity section too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page