Darn Darn Darn Underactive Thyroid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grrr I am so irritated.

The OB's office just called. I actually answered the phone by saying "Michelle, are you calling me with bad news?"

During a screening, my thyroid levels came back a bit high (I think high...). So I went back for more bloodwork. I thought that perhaps the phlembotomist had damaged the blood sample during the screening - she left the tourniquet on too long, perhaps hemolyzing the blood....

Well nope. My thyroid is underactive and I have to start a drug called Synthroid today. I have had so many different pregnancy complications! I don't know anything about hypothyroidism. I'm annoyed.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 PM

I was diagnosed hypothyroid about eight years ago. It really isn't that big a deal, and honestly, a lot of the symptoms of fatigue, depression, and even dry skin that I was having stopped after I got stabilized on the medication, so it turned out to be a positive experience in the end. I have been medicated through all three of my pgs, and no complications so far.

There aren't any dietary changes or anything else - just taking the pill once a day. The only annoying part of it is that it has to be on an empty stomach, and you have to wait an hour before you eat. I try to take mine when I wake up for my 5 a.m. pee, that way I am good to go by breakfast time. Oh, and you shouldn't consume any calcium supplements/products or iron for four hours after taking it, as it can conflict with absorption. So, I take my iron supplements mid-day and my pre-natals at night to accomodate that. I don't worry about the occasional glass of milk in the morning though, and certainly not the milk in my coffee/tea.

I think like anything else, once you are in the habit of taking the pills, it is pretty easy - and feeling better is so much worth it!!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 10-10-2009, 04:01 PM

I was also diagnosed Hypothyroid about a year and a half ago now. I have had the same experience as Dena. The medicine has really, really, helped my day-to-day wellness. I had known something was wrong, but it took a long time to get diagnosed.
I see an endocrinologist, which I really recommend if your insurance will cover it. She told me to never take the generics for thyroid, because the FDA allows a tolerance of +/-7mcg on the dosage. This means that if you get a different brand in April than you did in May (which can happen on generics), you could be getting up to 14mcg more or less in May than you did in April. This can make a huge difference in how you feel and is especially important when pregnant. She is monitoring my levels every 6 weeks to make sure I am still maintaining a high enough level for the fetus. Low thyroid can have serious complications for the baby.

You'll probably feel better in the long run on the meds. Hugs!

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 PM

My gp told me the same thing about generics - I always pay for the name brand now. He said they are fine for some things, like tylenol, where the dosage doesn't need to be exact every time, but he really encouraged me to go name brand for a maintenance med like this one.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

My OB's office said I need to use the name brand also, but the pharmacy gave me the generic and I didn't notice until I got home.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'm actually feeling relieved now - to think that some of my issues may go away!

Of course, I'm trying to not get too worried about how low thyroid levels affected the baby....or the antibiotics I took while the teeth buds were forming...or that night out with the girlfriends before I got my BFP......

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

User Tag List