Birth Classes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you going to take one?

Which one and why?

I think I am leaning more toward the Birth Works classes... if I can find an instructor who isn't on vacation

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#2 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 AM

We took Bradley birth classes with our first, and they went a long way towards educating my husband and making it clear that birth is normal. He grew up thinking opting for a section was perfectly reasonable, so he had a long way to come. He had just never been exposed to a different way of thinking about birth, or that it is even important to think about. (He literally pictured himself handing out cigars while I pushed DD1 out. OMG!) My attempts at educating him were all tied up in my emotions, and I just wasn't getting my point across, so i signed us up for the classes. Within the first few weeks of the classes, he agreed to support me in a natural hospital birth, and then a few weeks later asked if I wanted to go with the birth center in town. Now he is all about homebirths, and is so extra relaxed about birth that it kind of makes me anxious.

I've heard great things about the Birthing From Within classes, especially for people wanting to have a different experience during a subsequent pregnancy.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#3 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 AM

I promised a friend I'd take a Bradley class And I think it would give dh more confidence in asserting what I want. He's good like that for the most part but he could use a booster (it'll have been almost five years since a birth for us). I LOVE the Birthing From Within book. It totally made my last delivery so much better. Gave me so much permission to do what I needed to do to give birth. I'd love to take a class and might look around here for one.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#4 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM

wanted to do a hypnobabies class, but the closest instructors are 2 hrs away... one offered to do a "refresher/review" at the end of us doing a home course, which i'm almost certainly going to do.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#5 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 AM

#6 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 AM

The birth center in Chapel Hill requires that I take a class of some sort. I'm leaning towards just taking the class that the birth center offers, though I'm not totally sure what *type* of class it is. I think it's an overview of different methods, though I'm not sure. I should go over to the NC/SC/TN tribe and ask.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#7 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm going to try the hypno-babies home study course this time. For the last pregnancy, we took the hospital's childbirth class, which was a complete waste of time, since all they covered was various kinds of medical interventions. At one point, the nurse who was running the class turned on the football game so she could check the score. Then she put it on mute and taught the rest of the class while watching the game.

This time around I live in a different city, and we have a lot more options. I think that I'm going to go with hypno-babies, though, since my doula is working to become a certified hypno-babies doula, and I get a discount for doing the program. Plus, I like the convenience of being able to do it at home on my own time.
#8 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM

No... but I've BTDT. I didn't take them with either of the other kids either, though. My hospital does have a thing about hypnobabies (or hypnobirth? IDK) on their website so I think they might offer those.

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#9 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Like RhiOrion the birth center here requires that I take a madatory one for $75 (DH is NOT impressed ) I took 10 free ones in England with my midwife and a group of women that were all due within a month of each other (like here ) and it was pretty cool, my midwife was VERY pro-natural etc and im still in contact with the 11 women that were there (and we ALL had boys!! how crazy is that?) any way...im off topic now Im kinda reluctant as my birth with DS was SO easy, im just lulled into this false sense of security that #2 will be easier still - think I need to stop thinking like that, could well be harder etc

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#10 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Let me tell you about Birthing From Within classes!!

I'm admittedly bias because I am a Birthing From Within Mentor but let me say I think this is a VERY unique and wonderful class.

As a doula I obviously get lots of time with laboring women. I take mental notes of Moms who ultimately get the things they want/need from their experiences. What I mean by want/need is that sometimes we just don't get what we "want" i.e. a natural birth or a vaginal birth because of circumstances. But even in this case we can still get what we "need" which is a fulfilling transformative experience.

And when I watch I notice that mothers who view birth as beautiful, spiritual, significant and Moms and Dads who go into birth without a lot of fear - who go in trusting (VERY important) that their bodies are working get what they "want" more of the time from birth. And on the occasion that the birth doesn't go as planned get what they still "need" from birth. Why? Because laboring is INTENSE if not "painful" for many women. And coming from a place of peace and understanding can make it much less painful and what would be described as just intense.

Birthing From Within emphasis YOUR strength, wisdom, and does exercises for your soul, art, visualization. And your mentor in class will approach topical discussions with this in mind at all times. The class is not about "teaching" the much of time. It is about letting you explore what is inside of you that is going to make this experience beautiful for you and your family.

Same approach is taken with Dads. And let me tell you as a mentor I was nervous before I taught my first series that Dads would think it all was too hokey - that they would not be interested in clay art or using pastels to express their fears and joys. But it was so different from that. Dads coming in to class visibly apprehensive and not interested in being there, by the second or third class are participating verbally and with energy and passion. And their clay art/birth art is extremely thoughtful many times what I would consider more unique than the art of my Moms. I think getting Dad on this same page is quite important to the birth day!

Class is set up so you do get that left-brained "information" you need to birth in today's society but only a third of the class. Another third of the class you will practice pain coping techniques that work in birth - they just do. They are all kind of natural to us in women but I think the class helps emphasize them so we can recall our own abilities when we are nervous in a hospital. And the other third is the emotional/spiritual exercises that will help you learn about yourself and others.

The class is also very aesthetically set up to create the mood - candles, darker at times, peaceful, powerful music, art, and parents seated in a circle on the floor for some/most of the time. These all vary slightly per mentor but this is the idea.

Different than most classes! Very uplifting to your birthing spirit!

I won't go on too much. :-)

I also like the idea of hypnobabies. I've had a couple clients have magnificent labors using it and others that have not. Even though I would be interested in teaching this class as well one day because I think it can work beautifully for some women I've seen it not work AT ALL for others. Women who at their first phone call to the doula have already thrown it out the window and refuse to even try it anymore because of their level of pain. So, I think you need to be a certain type of person to benefit from it and I haven't figured out who that is yet! But again, someone with complete trust and all the things BFW gives.....that would be someone who I think would also work well with Hypno.

Also I think the BFW classes are even better than the book. All the same ideas but my opinion is they are much better when you experience them in a class vs. just read about them.

A word about Bradley. Very informative. Very useful information. But again on the day of your birth, while it is nice to be armed with every fact that you can have about the hospital system what really gives you a beautiful experience is other deeper understandings about your body, your baby, and birth. You will get more information out of a Bradley class than you will BFW but is that all you are searching for in birth education? Books also provide information. And lastly I've heard many complain that when their births did not go as planned such as c/s or interventions they felt very bad about themselves because Bradley is quite strict about natural birth being THE only way. Fact is we have a 30% cesarean rate in this country. What about those women?

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#11 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm considering Bradley, if we can find a time that fits with dh's schedule. I don't think I'm going to hire a doula this time, so I'd like him to be more involved.
#12 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Never had a birthing class, never will. I've read the Bradley books and the Birthing From Within book. I preferred Birthing From Within. This birth of twins is going to be my fifth birth (and sixth? Or is that 5th labor, 5th and 6th birth?) and I feel like if I don't know what I'm doing by now, no one can tell me.

To be quite frank, I feel like birth classes mainly exist for propaganda purposes, and I mean that in the best way. They are there to try to shape your worldview so that you know within yourself that you are strong enough to get through birth without pain medication, or to orient yourself to the hospital environment and interventions so that you can encounter them with confidence or at least familiarity. Propaganda or marketing isn't always about marketing a bad thing. But if you already know within yourself that you are going to be taking contractions one at a time and working to give birth to your baby, you don't exactly need a class in gaining that acceptance either, if you know what I mean? This is all sounding more harsh than I want it to, but I do worry that sometimes a class can be as limiting as is it helpful, like "birth: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! IF YOU PAID MORE ATTENTION IN CLASS YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO COPE BETTER WITH THIS PAIN!!!" I'm very wary of the One True Way of Birth.

Knowing that transition brings out self doubt in almost everyone is a really good thing to know, but I feel like being able to cope in labor is really more a question of mindset than it is about knowing this or that technique for working with the pain. A good doula or midwife will know the mechanics, and a lot of women will instinctually know what position will feel better with baby positioned X because they'll move around and see what hurts less, if they aren't tied to machines.

I can see how they could be really helpful for some people, but I wouldn't say that they are necessary by any stretch. It's a case of the mom needing to know what she needs in order to have the birth that is best for her and her child. If that means take a class, good for her for taking the initiative to have her needs met in this way. If that means a lot of praying or meditating to get her soul ready, great. The individual mother and child working with a good care provider will know what is best for her.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#13 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM

I am kind of at a loss about this. I know for sure I am not going to take the class offered by my hospital. Other than that, I don't know...Hypnobirthing appeals to me, but I am lazy about things that require diligent practice (I can't even manage to do my Kegels regularly). I have the Birthing from Within book, and I like parts of it but I don't think it's for me. Can anyone tell me more about the Bradley method? I do plan on getting a doula, but I also like that the Bradley method involves the partner in a major way. Don't know much else about it though.

Also...and I feel sheepish even asking this...but do I truly need a class? On the one hand, it seems like taking a class is just what people do, and there must be a reason for that. On the other hand, if I read all the books for whatever method I decide suits me, what will a class offer me that I can't get from the reading? I am just hesitant because the classes that aren't run by my hospital and very expensive, and since I am already spending the money on a doula, I would just want to be really sure that a class would be worth the price before shelling out even more.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#14 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM

I took a hospital based childbirth class with my first and didn't find it very useful. I was able to get the same info from the class by reading a book or going online. I found the doula I had with my second (and third) births to be much more useful. I tried Hypnobabies with my third and it didn't work so well with me, but I am also not sure I really practiced enough at the end of pregnancy. I plan to try it again and focus more on practice in the hopes of it helping me more. I also plan to try to avoid another posterior baby and that should help me deal with labor better this time.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#15 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
Also...and I feel sheepish even asking this...but do I truly need a class? On the one hand, it seems like taking a class is just what people do, and there must be a reason for that. On the other hand, if I read all the books for whatever method I decide suits me, what will a class offer me that I can't get from the reading? I am just hesitant because the classes that aren't run by my hospital and very expensive, and since I am already spending the money on a doula, I would just want to be really sure that a class would be worth the price before shelling out even more.
I didn't do classes with any of my three births. I had scheduled one with my son but missed it because he was two days old:P Seemed redundant. With the girls I just didn't have time and I figured I've BTDT. So...my experience...

1. I do think some classes can be a waste of money BUT I do think it is important to educate yourself about birth esp. if you give birth in a hospital. I've also come to realize that sometimes those hospital classes are worth it because they can tell you a great deal about attitudes towards interventions, etc. If I had known this I could have likely avoid the interventions in my second birth.

2. No birth is really the same. And I went into my second thinking I had it covered. I didn't. It was a longer and more difficult birth than my first. With my third, I read a lot. It helped.

3. My desire for the Birthing From Within class comes from loving the book so much. It helped me heal from the emotional pain of my second birth, and set me up to deal with my third. If I don't do the class, I'll be reading. With the Bradley, it's more for my husband. He's good and he's gotten better about standing up for me, but he's one of those people who does better armed with knowledge. I"m not a huge Bradley Method fan for a few reasons but I think it does do a good of empowering the partner.

So anyway, I say read like crazy. If you end up finding a method that appeals to you it might be worth checking out the class. I've found that reading helped me immensely with my third birth, and I"m rereading now to prepare for this birth.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#16 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM

NoraFlood- I just posted over on the NC/SC/TN tribe to get more information about the class offered at the birth center. But I also asked for other suggestions for childbirth classes in the area.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#17 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM

The people in my classes comment that the class was extremely relevant when it came birthing time and they were very grateful to it. People seem to learn and discover tons of things. (just to speak to the question of whether a class is useful). I suppose not for all but for many it is! I think it really can help take the place of the lack of watching birth we have in this society. Many years ago we were able to witness the magic and also the tough things about birth in our friends, family members etc. and may have even been a doula many times before our first birth because everyone was doing it at home so we had this experience.

Now - we don't. Class can help fill that gap. We as women getting together giving each other tips and support and knowledge (instead of being witness to one another's experiences). I agree hospital classes don't teach much other than teaching how you will be treated and what you will be required to do in their facility, how to order your epi the fastest way. 95% of my clients who comment on hospital classes tell me they already knew the information provided in the class from reading/research.

As far as needing a class because you have some inner feeling that you will take one contraction at a time. Well, that is valid in a way. But what about when labor lasts three days like that? Do you know what is normal or do you trust the hospital staff when they say you need pitocin or a cesarean? Or if you know it is normal maybe you will push on but if you think it is abnormal you might not push on. So many Moms tell me "Well, I pushed for three hours so I had to have a cesarean." Oooops, that was wrong. As long as baby and Mom are still well that is untrue. This and a million other things are talked about and cemented in class. Didn't dilate 1 cm per hour? Labor too slow? Is your pelvis too small? Do you NEED vaginal check after your waters are broken or will that drastically increase your chances of an infection? Should you really be induced if you go over 42 weeks - you will likely be told that your chances of still birth go way up, how true is that?" Anyway - I could go on. But Moms going in to hospital births are facing honestly a lot of bullcrap from hospital staff and they need a way to weed through it. A doula can help a lot with this too. When I get a client though it is a HUGE help to me when she's been through a good class so I can just reaffirm to her some of the things she needs to know and not try to teach her from scratch. Also when you are in labor with ctx every 2 minutes in your back it can be stressful to learn right then about how to help yourself.

As far as Moms that have been informationally prepared by reading and research emotional prep I believe and emotional class can really enhance a birth experience. But as loveneverfails said it might not be for everyone. Some don't want birth to be spiritual and are frustrated by the notion that it could/should be. And others feel that they already are very emotional spiritual people and don't need to explore that with a class. Other Moms really have been involved in the birthing world for a long while, have many friends that have done birth naturally, they have witnessed hospital and homebirths, and just don't really need a class.

And I do have a belief that Moms would find the positioning that works for them without any outside help if they were laboring in their homes. But in a hospital Moms get stressed. The floor is cold. The room is uninviting. The bed is uncomfortable. sometimes they are tied to poles. It is difficult to find a dark corner and explore your body when the lights are on, nurses are frequenting the room and your husband is staring at you blankly wondering when you are going to figure this labor thing out. Here a doula and some class knowledge are also useful.

In the end I'm sure all of us will choose the class that best fits our intuitions about birth and some of us won't take a class because we already feel we possess the tools to move through birth the way we desire. This is a great thread to explore some of those things! It's all good!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#18 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM

I think it's also worth noting that any class/method is only as good as the instructor, so perhaps interview instructors before you decide on a method. Our Bradley birth teacher was a nonpracticing midwife (she had small babies at home, she needed something less chaotic for a few years) and took the class beyond the Bradley book. Bradley method is essentially educating you about what normal birth looks like, and gives you a series of tools to help cope with each stage. i can see how it can be very clinical with a certain kind of teacher, but that does not mean that is all you can learn in the class with a good instructor.

I think classes are just another tool to empower yourself. You can't depend on them to be the only source of information, but they are valuable for what they offer. People learn in different ways - I am comfortable just reading books, but DH needed something more personal and hands on. I couldn't force him to be in the room with me while I gave birth to our children - I had to let him get there on his own, and classes were a way to empower him to make that decision. If we had went through the class and he had still said "Nope, I'm sorry, I can't handle being there" I would have been hurt, but his decision wouldn't have been from a place of ignorance.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#19 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 02:23 PM

For what it's worth, I'd take a doula in a hospital birth over a birth class any day if I had to recommend one or the other to someone, especially for a first timer. I think a doula can go over all of the same material you'd have in a birth class, but that it'd be probably more personal and the doula would help and be right there when you are actively in labor, and help you sort through things in the moment.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#20 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post

To be quite frank, I feel like birth classes mainly exist for propaganda purposes, and I mean that in the best way. They are there to try to shape your worldview so that you know within yourself that you are strong enough to get through birth without pain medication, or to orient yourself to the hospital environment and interventions so that you can encounter them with confidence or at least familiarity.
Yeah, that's the big reason I'm not dead set. I don't feel like I need one for ME at all. I don't know if it would be helpful for dh or not, though. Really don't want to spend the money unless he really wants to go
#21 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM

I hated Bradley class but I think that had a lot to do with the instructor. I did a homestudy Hypnobabies class with number one and it worked brilliantly (although I did end up with a c-section due to breach presentation) for the 30+ hours I labored peacefully at home (I admit that 24 of those hours were only pre-labor, but still it was work!).

I'm doing the same Hypnobabies homestudy this time around too.

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
#22 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM

Like several others, I'm planning to do the Hypnobabies home study. Watch some videos on YouTube of women in labor while using Hypnobabies. I can't believe how relaxed they look.

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

#23 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAlicia View Post
A word about Bradley. Very informative. Very useful information. But again on the day of your birth, while it is nice to be armed with every fact that you can have about the hospital system what really gives you a beautiful experience is other deeper understandings about your body, your baby, and birth. You will get more information out of a Bradley class than you will BFW but is that all you are searching for in birth education? Books also provide information. And lastly I've heard many complain that when their births did not go as planned such as c/s or interventions they felt very bad about themselves because Bradley is quite strict about natural birth being THE only way. Fact is we have a 30% cesarean rate in this country. What about those women?
This is exactly why my midwife does not recommend Bradley classes. She said that she's has women end up disappointed with themselves b/c of the interventions, and they were unable to focus on their beautiful babies.

I'll be taking a 6-week birthing class that she recommended, which is taught by a doula. Their website looks great, and I'm very excited to take the classes.
#24 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 PM

I won't be taking one unless i decide to show up for the 'refresher' that is provided free at my birth center. This is my fourth time so I'm really not worried. I've had hospital inductions and hospital 'holy s*** she is going faster than we thought' and a very lovely birth center birth all three without pain meds. I'm not worried
#25 of 33 Old 10-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
To be quite frank, I feel like birth classes mainly exist for propaganda purposes, and I mean that in the best way. They are there to try to shape your worldview so that you know within yourself that you are strong enough to get through birth without pain medication, or to orient yourself to the hospital environment and interventions so that you can encounter them with confidence or at least familiarity. Propaganda or marketing isn't always about marketing a bad thing. But if you already know within yourself that you are going to be taking contractions one at a time and working to give birth to your baby, you don't exactly need a class in gaining that acceptance either, if you know what I mean? This is all sounding more harsh than I want it to, but I do worry that sometimes a class can be as limiting as is it helpful, like "birth: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! IF YOU PAID MORE ATTENTION IN CLASS YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO COPE BETTER WITH THIS PAIN!!!" I'm very wary of the One True Way of Birth.

Yikes! I think I'm extremely lucky, because our birth class was taught by Penny Simkin & filled with practical information learned from years of doula experience. They were SO useful for both my husband (who would rather not read every book and climb every mountain) AND myself (who read every midwifery/birth book I could find and climbed every mountain to get there!)

She teaches a homebirth/birth center class, but an aspect I didn't know I was going to really appreciate about her class was how much she emphasized healthy mother / healthy baby being the end result.

When I, a sexual abuse survivor TERRIFIED of having my rights taken away in a hospital, came to her with a lengthy & strict birth plan she gently said to me "I hope that if you need or want an epidural you will take it - they can be very helpful." Totally changed my view.

So propoganda - sure, I see how some might resemble propaganda in the very broadest non-descript sense of the word maybe (I know nothing of Bradley Methods etc but I'd guess they're more brand-building than propoganda, which insinuates malintent... kwim?). But I think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
I think it's also worth noting that any class/method is only as good as the instructor, so perhaps interview instructors before you decide on a method.
really sums it up from my view.

Other beautiful side effects of our birth class were the "practicing" DH & I got to do - he was prepared for each stage of childbirth & armed with so many tools.

Here we are in a moment of what we thought was transition (Sydney was actually heading down the birth canal as I was told not to push! Try that one!) http://www.flickr.com/photos/41951551@N00/3862573626/

He had that tool right when he needed it! It was AMAZING! HE was amazing! I am SURE he would have been amazing regardless, but he had tools that he was confidant using & due to information, anecdotes & videos from class VERY confidant with what real live birth looked and sounded like.

Even though I had read every book, learning for me comes in doing & being in class with loads of anecdotal information was huge for me. I learned that in early labor, it's best to do some baking!

Lastly, we made amazing friends. We still get together with our birth group about once a month.

So yeah - "could" I have given birth sans classes? Sure! But the class was awesome and gave us even more tools so we could have a positive experience regardless of anything but a healthy mother/healthy baby outcome.

ETA: Oh yeah No birth classes for us this time around - we had an AMAZING experience, nothing could top it! We're both still filled to the gills!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#26 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

We did Bradley last time... it was fantastic FOR US... I did feel like a failure when I ended up with a c/s but not because of the classes, because even before the classes I was so dead set against a cesarean because my mother had 3 cesareans... my instructor even went over with us about cesarean and when they are necessary and how it doesn't make you a failure if you end up with one for medical reasons...

As I said above, I am leaning toward Birth Works. My Doula is a Birthing From Within Mentor and she thought that Birth Works might be better for me because they spend a lot of time on overcoming previous birth trauma.

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
#27 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 AM

we took Bradley. I learned a TON and was felt very prepared for the birth.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#28 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Yikes! I think I'm extremely lucky, because our birth class was taught by Penny Simkin & filled with practical information learned from years of doula experience. They were SO useful for both my husband (who would rather not read every book and climb every mountain) AND myself (who read every midwifery/birth book I could find and climbed every mountain to get there!)
So I went to sign up for this class today and realized that the one series that ends at the right time (they suggest 2-5 wks before due date) is taught by the other teacher- Sandy Szalay. Do you know her? I'm wondering if I should sign up for that one or if it will be worth it to take an early (or precariously late!) series with Penny herself. Hmmmm.

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

#29 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantiani View Post
So I went to sign up for this class today and realized that the one series that ends at the right time (they suggest 2-5 wks before due date) is taught by the other teacher- Sandy Szalay. Do you know her? I'm wondering if I should sign up for that one or if it will be worth it to take an early (or precariously late!) series with Penny herself. Hmmmm.
Ack! I'm sorry! I'm so bad about "getting" the whole weeks thing - I thought your ticker matched the class that ends mid April

I would call her office & talk to Molly to see what she thinks. She could probably set up a meet & greet for you with Sandy! I looked her up & she teaches the Labor Support class at the Simkin School (Seattle Midwifery School).

I'd trust anyone affiliated with Penny, but honestly - if it were me I'd "chance" it & go for Penny's class! But that's comming from a lady who gave birth at just over 42 weeks, so I'd have plenty of time Plus, then you'd get to have class with Hugo the Pug.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#30 of 33 Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Plus, then you'd get to have class with Hugo the Pug.
That actually influences my decision more than it should.
I love doggies.

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page