First time spotting at 16 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started spotting this morning... I have never had this happen in any of my pregnancies. It is light pinkish mucusey. Not very much....

I haven't had sex in a long while...
I heard the baby's heartbeat at 14 weeks...

My head tells me to calm down, but I feel sick about it. I do have a coworker who went through the same thing at 20 weeks and she was fine, but she did go into the Hospital about it.

I think I will wait unless it gets worse or persists....

Anyone have this or heard of it?

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 03:28 PM

It is really scary, no matter what. BUT, it can be really, really normal. My MW likes to see her clients if thy are spotting at all, just to get heart tones and talk about why it may be happening - would your care provider do the same? If not, I know from experience that an ER visit for spotting in early pregnancy can be really reassuring, or really frustrating, depending on who is on staff. i hope your spotting clears up today, and you can hear that lovely heartbeat again soon.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#3 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM

If you need peace of mind, call your ob or midwife to check things out. I spotted brown (and everything I read online gave me BAD news about brown spotting) so I went to the er and everything was fine and I spotted for several weeks. During my last pregnancy I spotted the full first trimester. You may want to let your provider know what is going on just incase they want to have a look .

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#4 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM

Maybe others have experience with mucus vs. no mucus. But the last couple pregnancies when I've experienced spotting both times it was just reddish/brown - sort of pink at first but pink went away quickly. And NO MUCUS. In my cases it was a non-threatening bleed they found from behind the placenta and I spotted for a week or two each time just light brown. If there is a lot of mucus I would be a bit scared that was part of my mucus plug coming out (but I'm not a medical professional so don't quote me!).

Any other symptoms? Contractions, pains? UTI can cause premature labor/bleeding? Sex, vaginal exams. And sometimes it is just unexplained! I'm a little paranoid myself and would probably want a quick check on things. But do what you feel is comfortable with you! Honestly medical professionals can only do so much to stop problems. And sometimes I go in just for my own sanity but understanding that they might not be able to help. (And yes, it can be stressful going in!)

The one thing I did ask when I went in to get mine checked is that they not do a vaginal exam with their hands. I told them they could look at my cervix with a speculum to confirm bleeding/dilation and they could look at the cervical length with u/s to see if I was thinning out. But preferred no hand exam. Didn't want them roughing up the cervix any more than necessary.

Most times it is nothing!!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#5 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM

lightish pink i wouldn't worry about... JMHO - blood red, or brown, I'd be going to my OB or the OR to check it out for sure! Hope that is all it is, just some tinted luekorrhea (sp?)

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#6 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
lightish pink i wouldn't worry about... JMHO - blood red, or brown, I'd be going to my OB or the OR to check it out for sure! Hope that is all it is, just some tinted luekorrhea (sp?)
Just out of curiosity, why worry too much about "brown" blood? I've always understood that to be old blood and not a worry. I only ever really spot brown blood in pregnancy? Light pink is actually fresher than brown (meaning active bleeding) and I've always been much more afraid of pink and red!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#7 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I just wiped again and it was a red streak. I am crying in my office right now... everyone at work is in an important meeting and I don't want to go back! I have no idea what to do... I guess I should just leave and go to the ER> I have faith everything is ok as it is a very small amount....

thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

4/10 by c-section.
#8 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Go get it checked out Mama. But if you are not cramping or having other symptoms this may just be something else. Your placenta could be close to your cervix. I've heard some women bleed ALOT in pregnancy and things are fine. I'll be thinking of you!

#9 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM

I don't have anything to add that others haven't already said, but I did want to say that I hope everything is fine and to go get checked out just to be sure.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#10 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM

The odds are, it isn't anything serious. But, please do go to the doctor to get it checked on. You don't need to be sitting along in your office worrying about this!!!

I know how scary it is to see blood. In my last pregnancy, I had bright red blood when I wiped at about 16 weeks. I was terrified. I called the doctor and they had me come in for an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed placenta previa. It resolved itself later in pregnancy, but I did have to do a pelvic rest and "take it easy" for about 8 weeks.

I've heard stories from many mamas with bleeding where they simply never find the cause.

Please keep us posted. I'm saying a prayer for you and your baby!

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#11 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM

At 16 weeks, with pink or red and mucous, with or without pain, I would go immediately to the ER and be very strong and adamant about being seen immediately and being checked via ultrasound ASAP to see if your cervix is opening/funneling at all, so that if it is, actions can be taken as soon as possible.

It certainly may be nothing, or could be a non-threatening SCH, but, in my own case, it was something, and started like that.

I hesitate to post the following, but if you go and it's nothing, then at least your mind is at ease.

I waited a bit before going to the ER as I was not having any pain, and my care provider said to go if I started having contractions. I never did, but the spotting turned into streaking, turned into heavier mucousy red blood and I was freaking out so I went to the ER on my own volition. From spotting to going to the ER was 2 1/2 hours.

Also, I was not very adamant about being tended to at the ER, because I figured they would know if it was a big deal afterI said I was 22 weeks and bleeding a bit with mucous at triage, but was in no pain / having no contractions. I was wrong, I should have been persistant and loud and asked to be seen immediately. From the time I got there and put into a room to the time I got an ultrasound, it was 4 hours, and I was 6cm dilated by the time the u/s was done. Once I was hooked up to the monitors it showed I was contracting, but I was feeling nothing, not even tightening.

I had had a previous full term birth and no risk factors for pre-term labor or incompetent cervix.

Looks like you are going, take care, I'm sure it's nothing but just in case...

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#12 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM

Oh Mama *hugs*

If it were me, I'd be getting checked out right away. 2nd trimester spotting has always been bad for me.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#13 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM

HUGE HUGS Mama

Please go get checked out. If for no other reason than for your own peace of mind, which will keep your body relaxed. But like the others said, if there is wrong AND there is some way to treat it or prevent problems, the earlier the better. You would hate to regret your decision later.

Thinking about you. Please update us when you can.

Claire

Claire , married to my hero, Nick . Our two rainbows babies are here!!! Welcome Noah Peter and Ryan Matthew, born at 25 weeks 6 days on 01/14/09 by emergency C-section!! We are in love!!!
#14 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I am back from the Dr. Thank God everything is fine. They said the chances of anything being wrong at 16 weeks is like 1%, especially since we have heard the heartbeat and it was strong.

They checked my cervix and said they saw a little tear. This is where the blood was coming from. You know how you get more nosebleeds and gum bleeding from pregnancy due to excess blood supply? It can happen on the cervix too as it is similar type tissue and mucusey. She said no intercourse for a few week. No problem!

I havent had any cramping and haven't done heavy lifting or anything.

I am at peace... I am okay.

Hope this helps anyone else in a future situation. Do see your Dr.

Thanks for your thoughts and support!

4/10 by c-section.
#15 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

4/10 by c-section.
#16 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Thank God! What a relief.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#17 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 PM

SO glad to hear.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#18 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM

Geez. The cervix can really be a pain. I'm still angry with mine over the random bleeding last week.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#19 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Thank goodness!! Thanks so much for the update!

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#20 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM

so good to hear!

#21 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Very good to hear its nothing serious!!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#22 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Thank goodness!!

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#23 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Whew! YAYAY! Mine happened too at 16 or 17 weeks this time too.....scary I know. So happy you and baby are well.

#24 of 32 Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

More of an update. I took a shower this morning and passed a blood clot the size of a quarter. I was bleeding red. Just slightly less than a period. I went to the ER and they took me in respectfully. I was bawling. Dr. did a cervical check and said he thinks the blood is actually coming from the uterus. I would agree considering I saw a clot. He did a quick ultrasound and saw a healthy baby with a great heartbeat.

I went for a more detailed ultrasound and the baby was fine, they could not find anything that would cause the bleeding. They even checked my kidneys. So since they didn't know what was causing the bleeding and the baby is ok, I went home.

4/10 by c-section.
#25 of 32 Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
More of an update. I took a shower this morning and passed a blood clot the size of a quarter. I was bleeding red. Just slightly less than a period. I went to the ER and they took me in respectfully. I was bawling. Dr. did a cervical check and said he thinks the blood is actually coming from the uterus. I would agree considering I saw a clot. He did a quick ultrasound and saw a healthy baby with a great heartbeat.

I went for a more detailed ultrasound and the baby was fine, they could not find anything that would cause the bleeding. They even checked my kidneys. So since they didn't know what was causing the bleeding and the baby is ok, I went home.
I'm glad they were kind and thorough. I had unexplained bleeding with each of my girls, and the not knowing why is scary, but they kept reassuring me that if it were something large, they would be able to tell me, so it had to be something small enough not to threaten the baby. Have you seen your OB/MW? I think until I was told differently, i would do as much bedrest as possible. I'm so glad you saw a good strong today - stick in there baby!

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#26 of 32 Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. It's great that the baby is doing well, but I understand how frustrating it can be to not have an answer as to what's causing the bleeding. I hope it stops and you have an uneventful rest of the pregnancy!

SuzieQ (27), wife to my wonderful husband of 5 years, mom to a beautiful baby boy born 3.28.10
#27 of 32 Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 PM

I hope it resolves quickly and you go on to have an uneventful pregnancy, mama.

#28 of 32 Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Mine was sort of similar a couple weeks ago. I did pass a clot about the size of a quarter. It was all brown not red but a clot nonetheless. The u/s tech in L & D couldn't find the source but was not worried about it. Then I went in for my 18 week u/s a few days later and was told that I had a "membrane" near the cervix on the inside. Best my midwife could explain this was a tiny blood pocket in the sack (not placenta). She said those are seen sometimes in Moms at births and they don't seem to cause issues. But in my case seemed to cause small amount of bleeding. The only way they identified mine was because they saw some "shadowing" near cervix.

So - I think them not knowing is somewhat common. And I think probably better than them seeing an obvious problem! Maybe you have a pocket of blood somewhere or something that is getting irritated right now in there. But baby seems to be safe. I'm hoping this will pass for you soon!

#29 of 32 Old 11-07-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the well wishes, you ladies are great!

Good to hear about your experience DoulaAlicia, in the sense that hopefully your story can explain what is possible in my situation. I think you are right that there are often times where bleeding is unexplained. I wasn't advised necessarily to take it easy but that is what I am doing. I am avoiding lifting my 17 month old son.

4/10 by c-section.
#30 of 32 Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Thanks for the well wishes, you ladies are great!

Good to hear about your experience DoulaAlicia, in the sense that hopefully your story can explain what is possible in my situation. I think you are right that there are often times where bleeding is unexplained. I wasn't advised necessarily to take it easy but that is what I am doing. I am avoiding lifting my 17 month old son.
Ashes, I agree with you taking it easy and avoid the lifting. That's what I am doing right now too. Just think, in 5 months, you will not have to worry about any of this stuff. Glad you and baby are ok!

Kristin, Lactivist and co-sleeping SAHM. My daughter is 6 yrs old, and my son is 22 mos old. Would love baby #3 shy.gif

selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif lactivist.gif dust.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page