Weekly thread, Nov 8-15 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I weighed myself at a friends house today, and i am gaining weight again! I'm so flipping happy. I'm still down 10 lbs or so, and I'm still sick, but seeing the numbers go up instead of down feels like a milestone. I am gaining weight!

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
Plus, you never want to interrupt a quietly playing toddler, but knowing they are not climbing on top of their dresser in order to hang from the curtain rod = priceless.
Actually, in my house, I DO want to interrupt the quietly playing toddler - that is always when she is in the most trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
So do you shave/wax during pregnancy? it's the least of my worries....but now I am paranoid. My mom said Dr.'s think it's gross....
I don't shave/wax my pubic area. Period. I get a rash either way, and I am old enough that it is just not worth it anymore. Dh doesn't care, and I don't care what anyone else thinks - especially my dr., who is paid enough that if he does think its gross, tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
it's a boy I knew it was, just had the slim 1% chance.
I am glad he is healthy, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I heard a heartbeat!!!! This was the first time - at 16 weeks! We found it with a fetascope, and then the baby kicked it and we lost it. So she used the doppler for a sec - just long enough to calculate the heartrate at 140. I'm so excited! I was half afraid after our miscarriage that I would be carrying nothing - which is silly, but there you go.
And no, not silly at all. I have to admit, after our last loss, I have been half afraid that they would find nothing - at every appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
Okay I need to whine for a bit....I have had severe allergy problems for the last two months These last few days are killing me. I can't breath, and I feel like something is trying to burrow out of the back of my head right where my neck starts...and if it's not trying there then it's in the front behind my eyes. Cleartin is not even touching it. Sigh. Whine over.
I am so sorry. I hope they clear up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymkes3 View Post
I told the kids about the cat..dd was devastated. they made cards, cut out pics of her, and then we buried her. My ds who is 6yrs and well.... guy..really tried to be sad and supportive to his sister. But really he was more miffed that i made him leave school early He was sad, just not sobbing sad, and he has had alot of questions. But today is a brand new day and they seem to be doing well. thanks for all the advice and understanding mamass
Your poor family. I am glad they are handling it well, though. Kids are so amazingly resilient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbeauty View Post
Today we had the second anatomy scan, since apparently, the last one was completely useless… This time it went beautifully! We are having a GIRL! She had her ankles crossed, but knees apart, so the tech was able to get a great show… Baby was measuring right on 22 weeks, I will be 22 weeks tomorrow. That means that despite my Diabetes and Obesity, I am not growing a giant baby! The only part that was measuring ahead was the humerus… which is measuring 23 weeks… so this baby girl will have long legs! Baby’s heart rate was 140. And we got a thumbs up shot from Baby too!
Yay for a great appointment, Yay for your girl, Yay for a healthy mama!! Fantastic news all around!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins0614 View Post
AFM-I took DS to get his hair cut yesterday and now he looks so grown up. His hair grows so slowly that this is only his 3rd haircut so I'm still not used to the dramatic change after a haircut. It is really cute though.
Uh, neither of my kids has ever had a hair cut. My five year old's is now just about long enough for a trim, but thats it. If we cut the 2-year-olds hair, she would be bald!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
DD is laying on me right now, pulling up my shirt and shouting at my belly, "SPROUT! You want a water birth!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I can't even THINK about the next kid, yet! I'm still not sure I want another. This pregnancy thing isn't really a lot of fun to me. I know some people LOVE it. And I don't really hate it or anything, but it is just a pain. Constant nausea until 15 weeks, no sex for a long time, and who knows what's still to come. But I figure I'll change my mind once I hold her in my arms.
I know what you mean. I am not a big fan of pregnancy. When I was pg with dd1 I was not sure I wanted a second. Until the moment I held her.

And then we wanted three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Originally we had "planned" for 2 2 years apart, but you know the saying about how to make God laugh? After 2 losses & uncontrollable bleeding I had to work on getting healthy. Then - apparently the "right time" came & BAM! These kiddos will be 4 years apart. Just the idea that I became miraculously immediately fertile blows my mind. I am SO SO thankful!~

Sometimes it's a mental struggle not to go down the "oh I wish they were closer" path, especially when I hear about how 2 years is "ideal" & anything more than that is "Too much" of a gap - 2 women were talking about this in yoga last night & it almost made me cry (being the emotional/hormonal basketcase I am )!
I DO know that joke. We planned on three. As for the spacing, I think whatever happens is ideal, as long as it is right for your family. Just like family size or anything else, there is NO one ideal. Sometimes I think insecure people talk this way to make themselves feel better.

And YAY for the arsonist being caught!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
I weighed myself at a friends house today, and i am gaining weight again! I'm so flipping happy. I'm still down 10 lbs or so, and I'm still sick, but seeing the numbers go up instead of down feels like a milestone. I am gaining weight!
Congrats!!

AFM, today has been pretty good. I got a LOT of work done this morning for a change, and then took my mom to a follow up appointment with her radiation oncologist for the brain tumors. I hadn't met him before, and he is really a wonderful doctor. I was very impressed. And the great news is that he thinks he may be able to do radiation for the lesions on her liver! Which is awesome, because the brain radiation was a lot easier on her than chemo! So, fingers crossed! AND my MIL came down and stayed with the girls while I did this so I could have alone time in the car (no one in the back seat saying, "no like this song!") and with my mom. And of course the girls had loads of fun with Grandma! And when I got home, I learned that my MIL bought me clothes. She is so sweet - she had three sons, so she never got to buy girl clothes, so now she does it for her DILs, and she loves shopping, so every pg I get new stuff. At least until we find out baby genders, and then we get baby stuff!

Now I am just up waiting for DH to get back from his function in Seattle. I know it is silly, but preggo hormonal me can't relax lately when he is not in the house. I am fine if I have a distraction, but I try to sleep and I just lie there with my eyes wide open. Sigh. I am also a little peeved, because I have told him this. But I know he is probably having a good time (he is at the annual dinner at his frat house. Yes, I married a frat boy. Long story. And no, it was NOT part of the attraction!) and has just forgotten what I told him. I am trying not to call because I really don't want to be that wife, kwim?

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 AM

dena, i am the same way - can't fall asleep when my husband is gone out of town, but when he's here, i'm falling asleep at like 9, heh! but that's all the time glad for the good news about your mom.

ivymae, wow, great news that you are gaining! must feel so good to know you are for sure getting nutrients to your little girl in there

rhiorion, sorry your cervix is in time out. i'm with you - seems like as long as you aren't bumping it, you ought to be ok! goooooo g-spot!

carley, whoo! so glad they got that guy, and i hope they can pin enough of these incidents on him that he is not coming back anytime soon.

afm, waking up at 4:30 the last three nights - really think it must be b/c i'd normally be haivng a period right now.

for those of us who are 18 weeks, babies are supposedly around 5 inches long, the size of a deli pickle . myelin forming, and bones hardening...

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:07 AM

I fell down the stairs this morning ....

I am pretty sure baby is okay though. I feel on my back and slide down a few ...so really just a sore spot on my back and carpet burn on my elbow! Great! lmao

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
I fell down the stairs this morning ....

I am pretty sure baby is okay though. I feel on my back and slide down a few ...so really just a sore spot on my back and carpet burn on my elbow! Great! lmao
Ouch! I'm glad you're relatively okay.

Baby probably thought it was fun.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Ouch! I'm glad you're relatively okay.

Baby probably thought it was fun.
Yeah! - Weeeeeeee...babys first roller coaster ride! lmao

Think DH was most concerned - I have never seen him move that fast bless him! lol Had to reassure him that baby is well cushioned in there. I would have been worried if I fell on my front but a little bum and back fall and slide is nothing to worry about I don't think!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
Yeah! - Weeeeeeee...babys first roller coaster ride! lmao

Think DH was most concerned - I have never seen him move that fast bless him! lol Had to reassure him that baby is well cushioned in there. I would have been worried if I fell on my front but a little bum and back fall and slide is nothing to worry about I don't think!
nothing to worry about.. i've done it in each pregnancy at least once
not yet this pregnancy though.. i'm almost waiting for it to happen..

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 11-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Ouch Ann! Glad you're okay. I've fallen down or off something with every pregnancy as well! And with my last while I was teaching a high needs high school, I was shoved, very hard, in my stomach up against a desk. No problem to the baby at all. They said it takes some amazing tramua to do damage from the outside.

Dena: Great news on your mom!! And on new clothes!

Carley: So glad they have caught the guy. I hope he's the one for sure.

AFM, cold is clearing up and allergy season should be ending here soon. I'll be so happy to be able to breath again. I only allergies this bad when pregnant But thanks for the hugs and well wishes. I was very whiney I know

I'm starting to read more books on natural birth. Being at the center, really sinks home that I will be having no options of pain relief...not that I used them before (well I did with the middle but that's a long painful story) but there is something just knowing they are there. Now they're not, and I'm not going to be able to think "Well if it gets really bad I can do something." Plus I think I'm going with a water birth so I want to read some more on that. I'm so scared and excited. During my insomina last night, I read through some of the birth stories here, and had birth dreams all night.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Ann... I hope you are ok! I agree with pp, baby probably enjoyed the trip and resulting adrenaline rush...

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 PM

I just had to pop in & share - I woke up this morning to Sydney with her head on my belly - she smiled up at me & said "I love my baby sister SO much mama!" ...and then my heart exploded...

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Awwwwwwww.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
...and then my heart exploded...
now that sounds like a mess to clean up. jk.

what a sweet girl, thanks for sharing!!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 11-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I just had to pop in & share - I woke up this morning to Sydney with her head on my belly - she smiled up at me & said "I love my baby sister SO much mama!" ...and then my heart exploded...

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 PM

awww!!!!

i can't wait til we know the sex and can start calling him/her by name and introducing him/her in a more intimate way to DS. right now its just "the baby"

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 PM

um, having a minor freak-out. my BIL is staying w/ us and just informed me he caught crabs from a tanning bed (which he's using to get rid of some skin fungus he already has, can't remember the name). should i be worried?? i'm doing reading online that says you have to be in really close contact w/ them to catch them (like sex obviously, or sleeping with someone who has them - they don't move much apparently), but they do lay eggs, and have a month-long life cycle...... he's washed his sheets/towels/clothing. should i wait til he leaves tonight and go crazy disinfecting the bathroom and his bedroom??? eck.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
um, having a minor freak-out. my BIL is staying w/ us and just informed me he caught crabs from a tanning bed (which he's using to get rid of some skin fungus he already has, can't remember the name). should i be worried?? i'm doing reading online that says you have to be in really close contact w/ them to catch them, but they do lay eggs...... he's washed his sheets/towels/clothing. should i wait til he leaves tonight and go crazy disinfecting the bathroom and his bedroom??? eck.
WTF, please tell me he caught them WHILE he was staying with you. Not that he came to stay with you and already had crabs!

My ex-boyfriend and I were supposed to go stay with a friend and that friend had gotten crabs. He offered to put us up in a hotel. Unfortunately it was the "interstate motel" in Asheville which, although torn down now, was known for its hourly rates and prostitution. We ended up finding another friend to stay with.

But I digress. Crabs are gross. My friend had to shave his whole VERY HAIRY body.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:31 PM

rhiorion!! i think he's shaving his entire body right now - in MY bathroom! ugh. he's only been tanning since he's been in asheville staying w/ us (he's in town acting in a regional theatre production).

he has a shampoo that's supposed to kill them. i'm just concerned about them being around in egg form or something. i can't find out if the natural stuff i use to clean will kill them. but i think lemonine (i dilute it and use it as an all-purpose) will kill them. maybe i'll use a more concentrated version than usual.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
I can only hope for those odds:P We ended up deciding to forgo an ultrasound unless the midwife deems it utterly necessary. We won't be finding out until April
I'm not doing U/S at all either. Or that was the intention, anyway; I couldn't resist using a doppler (I own one after all) a couple of weeks ago just to check in, since my last pg ended in a miscarriage and I didn't feel like I was connecting to this experience properly at all. But no more U/S this pregnancy, unless there's an issue.

P&H you can catch crabs by sharing bedding! But not so much from sharing couches etc, and you wouldn't need to worry about carpet. So once he's done the treatment and you've washed everything in super-hot water, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the bathroom, just the bedding. They're not going to survive on the smooth surfaces in the bathroom, or be able to lay eggs there.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post

P&H you can catch crabs by sharing bedding! But not so much from sharing couches etc, and you wouldn't need to worry about carpet. So once he's done the treatment and you've washed everything in super-hot water, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the bathroom, just the bedding. They're not going to survive on the smooth surfaces in the bathroom, or be able to lay eggs there.
ok. i was worried b/c he says he caught it from a tanning bed, so i figured they could in fact be alive for a couple of days on a hard surface. at least they aren't microscopic.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
ok. i was worried b/c he says he caught it from a tanning bed, so i figured they could in fact be alive for a couple of days on a hard surface. at least they aren't microscopic.
They need heat to stay alive, which might have given them the needed edge on a tanning bed (which is really a long shot to begin with), but once you get below normal body temp they start to die fast, particularly on an unprotected hard surface.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
They need heat to stay alive, which might have given them the needed edge on a tanning bed (which is really a long shot to begin with), but once you get below normal body temp they start to die fast, particularly on an unprotected hard surface.
I'd also think that the high turnover at some tanning places could be the issue. If someone with crabs gets up and walks out, and then your friend immediately goes in and lies down, maybe that's how he got them.

Or he got them from somewhere completely different!

I swear though, P&H, this is exactly something that would happen to my friend (the one who had crabs that time). Go to the tanning bed to get rid of one thing and end up with another. One time he opened a door over his toe, and ended up with some sort of crazy infection moving up his leg. Things like that just happen to him. Luckily he's a great guy (and if you ever need a T-Mobile phone in Asheville he's the man to see!). But the story of your friend totally reminds me of him.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbeauty View Post
Ann... I hope you are ok! I agree with pp, baby probably enjoyed the trip and resulting adrenaline rush...
Well that little fall this morning certainly woke this baby up - I have felt some very deffinate kicks all throughout today! Fabulous! I know there is a baby in there now! hehe

Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 PM

thanks, nikrj and rhiorion. i feel kinda bad for bringing my crabs into this thread, but i felt comfortable asking you guys, and knew you'd have some advice! heh, it does sound kinda far-fetched, but i really have no reason not to believe this kid, and he does have really bad luck w/ stuff like this too.

anne, glad you're little one seems just fine, maybe even a little feisty!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 AM

Hi everyone!! We just got home from a 9 day road trip around Montana. It was fun... some nice sunny weather, a few exciting snow storms, a bit of hiking, and some heavenly dips in hot spring fed pools (but not for too long... didn't want to bake the baby!)
I haven't even begun to catch up on posts, but just wanted to pop in and say hey!
Aaaaaand.... I've finally started to feel little teensy bits of movement! Not a huge amount, but enough that I'm sure I'm feeling the baby. Yaaaaay!!!!!!

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:34 AM

about crabs. Sorry. I'm kinda a 5th grader like that.

I fell a couple of days before I went into labor with DS. DH was terrified, because I started to have contractions, but they petered off. My limbs just get really watery during pregnancy. About once a day I trip or miss a stair or catch my foot coming out of the car or any number of clumsy things. Anyone else? I just feel like such a klutz during pg.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:27 AM

Grrr...my boy (fixed) kitten peed on clean laundry on my bed, so instead of sleeping right now, I'm doing laundry and DH has gone downstairs to sleep on the couch.

He's pulled a stunt like this before, but not for a very long time.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew_crafty_girl View Post
Grrr...my boy (fixed) kitten peed on clean laundry on my bed, so instead of sleeping right now, I'm doing laundry and DH has gone downstairs to sleep on the couch.

He's pulled a stunt like this before, but not for a very long time.
my first thought was, your husband or the cat? . so sorry about the cat pee - hope it didn't get into the mattress! i worry our cats might "act out" when the baby comes, yike!

shantiani, your trip sounds amaaaaazing!!! what were the temperatures like? the last time we flew over montana, we decided we must really plan to spend some time there.

sme, i am wondering whether i'll get totally wiggly in the joints too. i'm fairly well coordinated, but i do already feel very loose in my pelvis. i tend to fall/trip more out of carelessness than clumsiness - maybe the same thing! when my BIL was told me about the crabs, i was like, wait, that's an STD! inside i was all "EEEEWWWWW," but i knew it was really hard for him to tell me, and i was just thankful he took the responsibility when he would rather have kept it to himself.

yay for baby movement!

User Tag List