Jelly Bean Glucose Test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So,
I have to go in to the lab next week to do the glucose test. I hate the drink they give you, and actually got really sick on it when I was preggo with my first, so last pregnancy I did an alternative test....where you eat a very specific breakfast (egg, toast, 1 pat of butter, tea, no sugar or cream....and something else???)and have blood drawn on a specific time table. This time around my midwife suggested that I eat a specific Jelly bean....Brachs, 50 grams, I think its about 16 or 17 jelly beans 2 minutes before the test. I have the paperwork in the car, otherwise I would post more details....but just wondering if any of you have tried the "Jelly bean" version of the glucose test?
Or if you were planning on any other alternative to the glucose test.

Hayley SAHM to Ryan (02) & Annabel (06) and Jameson (10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM

wow, that sounds cool. Id much rather eat jelly beans than drink the dreaded drink

I wish I could opt out of the glucose test, ive been reading about how pointless it it. But alas, the birth center will only take me if I follow their rules.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Old 12-16-2009, 04:17 PM

I've heard of it, but haven't tried it. Not even sure they offer an alternative here because I actually like the orange glucola. I'll be doing it soon as well.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM

I thought the GD test was pretty much required by all providers, but my mw told me she'd give me all of the info at our next appt to decide whether or not I want to take it. I was surprised (I thought GD might change the risk going into a hb and she'd need to know), but I really love how much she encourages choice in all tests and decisions. I am going to take it though... I have blood sugar issues when not pregnant so I want as much info as possible to know if I need to start getting obsessive about my diet or something.
I have no experience with jelly beans or sugar drinks, of course. But the jelly beans sound much more pleasant!

Shanti- treehugger.gif Momma to Astrid Mathildestillheart.gif (3/14/10) and expecting a new addition stork-suprise.gif (3/27/12)!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:21 PM

I can't believe we are already at the point where we are taking the GD test! I just got my requisition today. Where has the time gone?

I didn't mind the "sprite" tasting drink last time either... It's sitting there for an hour that annoys me. I know you can bring a book... but blah!

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew_crafty_girl View Post
I've heard of it, but haven't tried it. Not even sure they offer an alternative here because I actually like the orange glucola. I'll be doing it soon as well.

THats the one I got sick on the first time around .....I wish that I loved it....I always feel like such a PIA when I request special tests, but they don't seam to mind switching it around...they just have to call the lab to make sure that they know how to read the results from the alternative tests, because the glucose amount is different when you eat the breakfast....the Jelly beans are suppose to be closer to the drink test results, and therefore more accurate.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Since my dad is diabetic, the MW just had me take my fasting blood sugar with his glucometer for I think 3 days last time. I was also showing no signs of GD, the drink makes me ill (too much sugary anything does!), jelly beans disgust me, etc. I'm a "bad" patient, lol. But I hate the idea of making myself feel sick for an hour or more when I'm not really at risk, imo. (My dad's diabetes is there because he refuses to monitor his eating, drinks a ton of soda, eats only sweets and snack-y processed foods, etc. When he sticks to a good diet he has no issues even unmedicated.)

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
I can't believe we are already at the point where we are taking the GD test! I just got my requisition today. Where has the time gone?

I didn't mind the "sprite" tasting drink last time either... It's sitting there for an hour that annoys me. I know you can bring a book... but blah!
I already have the lemon-lime glucola in my fridge for my next appt!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM

I'll be watching this to see if someone has a good suggestion. I got my drink at my 24 week check up to take for my next appt. and when I read the ingredients they disgusted me so I threw the drink away hoping I could come up with a good substitute. I hope someone can give a good alternative to take for the test. There just has to be one.

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 PM

I went on a search and found this. Looks like a decent alternative.
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...e_3q1h,00.html

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM

I ask to do the A1c test instead of the glucose test. Its much more accurate because it tests your blood sugar over the past 3 months vs. challenging it in an unrealistic way, which is the reason for so many false positives, resulting in a 3 hour glucose test. Even the guy at the lab said good for me last time I did it because its better than the glucose test.

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the choices in detail from my midwife:

Jelly Bean Glucose Test: Eat 18 Brachs Jelly Beans; make sure that it is a 50g simple carb....in a bag that is 150 per pound. Eat within 2 minutes of having your blood drawn.

Breakfast Carbohydrate Tolerance Test:

*Write down on the lab slip the time that you finish eating the breakfast
*Your blood needs to be drawn an hour after you have finished eating, so be sure to leave plenty of time to arrive at the lab and wait if there is a line
*As soon as you arrive at the lab, let them know your blood must be drawn at a specific time.

Heres what to eat:

2 scrambled eggs
2 slices of toast OR 1 english muffin
2 pats of butter OR margarine
1 cup (8 oz) orange juice
1 cup (8 oz) whole or skim milk
Optional: Tea with NO sugar or cream

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM

The A1C is not accurate to test for GDM, because the 3 month average makes it easy to miss GDM that develops midpregnancy. It's good for a lot of other reasons, but not to test for GDM.

The important part of the glucose challenge is that there is 50g of glucose involved. You can mix your own, the question is whether your care provider will accept that it actually contains 50g of glucose. I think the nastiness of Brachs jelly beans and the nastiness of glucola come in tied, and I don't think that the breakfast test is a particularly accurate measure, but homemade glucola drinks aren't that hard to make and are easier to control content-wise.

Also, lots of providers say it doesn't matter what you eat before the test. It DOES. Don't tell me you can eat 4 donuts and drink the glucola...that's WAY more than 50g of glucose. Eat something high protein a little over an hour before the test, it will help your body figure out what to do with the glucose.

*ahem* I'm declining the test anyway, but there are quite a few valid reasons to do it. I'm just REALLY low risk for GDM and also low risk for being transfered into a facility where not having a test would be held against me.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerforever1977 View Post
I'll be watching this to see if someone has a good suggestion. I got my drink at my 24 week check up to take for my next appt. and when I read the ingredients they disgusted me so I threw the drink away hoping I could come up with a good substitute. I hope someone can give a good alternative to take for the test. There just has to be one.
Yeah, this is what bothers me. I doubt the drink is orange because it has oranges in it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
The A1C is not accurate to test for GDM, because the 3 month average makes it easy to miss GDM that develops midpregnancy. It's good for a lot of other reasons, but not to test for GDM.

The important part of the glucose challenge is that there is 50g of glucose involved. You can mix your own, the question is whether your care provider will accept that it actually contains 50g of glucose. I think the nastiness of Brachs jelly beans and the nastiness of glucola come in tied, and I don't think that the breakfast test is a particularly accurate measure, but homemade glucola drinks aren't that hard to make and are easier to control content-wise.

Also, lots of providers say it doesn't matter what you eat before the test. It DOES. Don't tell me you can eat 4 donuts and drink the glucola...that's WAY more than 50g of glucose. Eat something high protein a little over an hour before the test, it will help your body figure out what to do with the glucose.

*ahem* I'm declining the test anyway, but there are quite a few valid reasons to do it. I'm just REALLY low risk for GDM and also low risk for being transfered into a facility where not having a test would be held against me.
I was wondering about this. Will eating an egg (or something similar) an hour before IMPROVE the results? Because I really feel like that would be better for my body, anyway, than waking up and having NOTHING until 9 am.

Also, any recommendations for what to eat the night before?

ETA: I think the test is worthless for me as I have no risk factors. I would just refuse it altogether, but the practice is fairly mainstream, and I don't want to make waves. I am more than willing to "cheat"

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 PM

I absolutely refused to take that test when pregnant with my DD. I did a lot of careful research and decided that since I had none of the risk factors, I felt healthy, baby was growing normally, and I don't usually make myself sick by gorging on sugar then eating nothing else for an hour...why put myself (and baby!) through that?

The OB's office freaked out. They tried to tell me that my baby could be still born if I didn't take the test. (Seriously...) They told me that I would have to be treated as if I was confirmed diabetic since I refused the test and couldn't be confirmed as not having gestational diabetes. The OB tried to tell me I had to go to diet counseling for patients with gestational diabetes, I would be marked high risk, and I would have to monitor my blood sugar 3x a day for the remainder of the pregnancy.

No way I was about to do all that when I was perfectly healthy! So after lots of arguing my DH and I had to sign some waver they had their lawyers make stating that we didn't hold them responsible for any ill effects caused by gestational diabetes, which I may or may not have. They had a specific list of gestational diabetes complications on the form.

I haven't discussed it with my midwife for this pregnancy. I have no doubts she'll be fine with my skipping testing for it, considering my baby is growing fine and I already eat a lot of protein and little carbs and sugar.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Also, I don't think this is a regular test in the UK is it? At least not for those without any risk factors?

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
Also, I don't think this is a regular test in the UK is it? At least not for those without any risk factors?
yes, they make you do it in the UK too. Except they seem more 'relaxed' I ate normally the whole day (my test was at like 3pm) and then they get you to drink 'Lucozade' which a a 'normal' drink you can buy in strores. I happen to LOVE it so that was good.

I thought the whole test seemed totally pointless though. I wish I didnt have to do it here.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamummy View Post
yes, they make you do it in the UK too. Except they seem more 'relaxed' I ate normally the whole day (my test was at like 3pm) and then they get you to drink 'Lucozade' which a a 'normal' drink you can buy in strores. I happen to LOVE it so that was good.

I thought the whole test seemed totally pointless though. I wish I didnt have to do it here.
It doesn't seem nearly as bad that way, to eat normally then just drink a regular soft drink type thing.

My OB's office wanted you to not eat anything the morning of the test, then drink it and wait an hour. I would be sick for sure, if I didn't pass out first!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
My OB's office wanted you to not eat anything the morning of the test, then drink it and wait an hour. I would be sick for sure, if I didn't pass out first!
It's not supposed to be a fasting test. They should really only be asking you not to eat if you're doing the full tolerance test (100g and 4 blood draws). If you ARE getting the longer test, then you do need to not have eaten overnight/that morning...but for the standard screening, you are supposed to eat normally (the protein suggestion is because I've seen that reduce false positives).

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 AM

I am also wary of it because of the shock it puts your system through consuming that much glucose on an empty stomach (they told me to not eat as well). I had also been told if I threw up it would be marked as an automatic fail...and I was on zofran and had lost 15lbs at that point...so lets drink super amounts of sugar and try to not get sick. By the time I went back to get the second draw I was shaking so bad. I downed a steak as soon as I got home.

I also am no longer comfortable with the test because of potential negative effects of that much glucose on the fetus at once. Especially on women who are smaller...one dose for all people seems wrong. It seems that the effects on an 80lbs (pre-pregnancy) woman and her fetus would be greater than on a larger woman and her fetus.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 AM

I have risk factors so I decided I would investigate my GD status. I asked my current midwife about the breakfast test (which I did in my last 2 pregnancies). She'd never heard of it but we decided that it would be best for me just to pop over to my mom's house (next door) and test my blood sugar once in a while 2 hours after a meal. I've done it once so far and was well in the range of normal after eating a very starchy meal. I'll continue this way. I couldn't imagine how horrible I'd feel if I tried that drink. It sound terrible.

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 AM

I realize this is a select audience and all, but for a soda drinker this sugar load would be really familiar. It's only slightly more than what's in a 12oz Coke or Pepsi. About the same as what is in a size Small soda at most fast food restaurants. I've always kept that in mind when the tendency to think "ew" about the glucola pops up...most of the population drinks that much nastiness on a regular basis.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
I realize this is a select audience and all, but for a soda drinker this sugar load would be really familiar. It's only slightly more than what's in a 12oz Coke or Pepsi. About the same as what is in a size Small soda at most fast food restaurants. I've always kept that in mind when the tendency to think "ew" about the glucola pops up...most of the population drinks that much nastiness on a regular basis.
Most moms I know IRL take the glucola with no complaint, I would drink it if I did not get ill from it, as I know that it is the most accurate way to measure glucose, but I am also very happy that there are alternatives. If I felt that I was at high risk, I don't think I would complain about it, but since I have never had any blood sugar issues, I think that opting for an alternative would work best for us. Who knows, I may post next week that I got sick on Jelly beans in the waiting room of the lab...lets hope for the best.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM

i was told i had my test next time to but i am not going to do it. i have done no research on it/results but jeeze it's just silly! for one if i don't eat (and a slice of dry toast is the same thing as not eating!) i will faint. if i don't have solid food in my tummy within an hour of waking up i get shaky and lightheaded and very bad feeling...so yeah lets DRIVE with my 2 children in the car! besides the fact that i have have a ds without GD, a dd without GD, and have never had it in my LIFE. ugh. it's also just one of those things i feel like being b*tchy about. i don't want interventions. leave me ALONE!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
i was told i had my test next time to but i am not going to do it. i have done no research on it/results but jeeze it's just silly! for one if i don't eat (and a slice of dry toast is the same thing as not eating!) i will faint. if i don't have solid food in my tummy within an hour of waking up i get shaky and lightheaded and very bad feeling...so yeah lets DRIVE with my 2 children in the car! besides the fact that i have have a ds without GD, a dd without GD, and have never had it in my LIFE. ugh. it's also just one of those things i feel like being b*tchy about. i don't want interventions. leave me ALONE!
I was told I could eat before mine, but to avoid sugary foods.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I already have the lemon-lime glucola in my fridge for my next appt!
Mmm that sounds yummy! haha

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM

My midwife gets 10 oz serving size of grape juice, because that is 50 grams of sugar but not a complete waste. I'm hoping I tolerate it better than the glucola. I ate a huge breakfast before the GTT my last pregnancy, got very very jittery and STILL wound up passing with a score of 96 at one hour. I don't get GD, but because I've had 10 and 11 lb babies, I always have to take the test. Grr...

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post

you're birthing at the birth center right? youre not going to do it? will they make a fuss? I really dont want to do it. I had absolutely no GD with DS and I have never had blood sugar problems ever before...do you just not show up or what?? Tell me your secret

Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 PM

I'm that crazy outlier who had no known risk factors, but who has had GD with all of my pregnancies. . With DD1, I was with an OB, so I did the traditional test, and when i failed the three hour, they started planning my "attempted induction "at 37 weeks. I transfered to MW's late in the game, and they were uber concerned about it as well (and discussed risking me out), and seemed incredulous about the bG numbers i was reporting back. After all of that, DD1 was almost a week overdue and barely 7lbs. At 37 weeks she would have been a month premature, and tiny!

So, with DD2 I switched midwives, and when 20 weeks rolled around, i just started testing my numbers after meals, and around 25 weeks I started to see them get wonky. My MW agreed that it was indicative of my having gestational diabetes again, and did not require me to take any sort of lab test. She admitted that she was not worried about me if i was not, since I knew enough about the right diet and how to maintain my levels, and we only talked about it when i brought it up. Again, i went almost a week overdue, and had an even tinier baby (7lbs even).

This time, I am starting to feel that same rush and crash, which means it's time for me to start really portioning out my food, and making less impulse meals. This is extra crappy, since I am still struggling with keeping food down anyway, but I'm trying. i need to pull out my monitor and get some new strips, but after two pregnancies of GD, I feel like I know physically when I've gone overboard, and need to get out and walk. I get lightheaded (the rush) and then soon after I get mean and lethargic (the crash).

I actually wrote out a blog post during Alice's pregnancy, that i should update, but which talks about my meal plans, routine testing, etc. I don't think everyone should be required to take ANY prenatal test, and I think alternative tests (or just keeping a food diary and a log of your levels for a bit) are much more accurate than dumping HFCS into your blood steam and seeing what happens. There is also a lot of debate about whether, for someone with diet-controlled GD, it's even beneficial to limit diet (Henci Goer has articles about this) but for me, i feel better when I am on a diet that helps keep my levels steady, and I'm glad to know how to get off that rollercoaster.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

ivy has opposite gd! hehe interesting about the weight thing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamummy View Post
you're birthing at the birth center right? youre not going to do it? will they make a fuss? I really dont want to do it. I had absolutely no GD with DS and I have never had blood sugar problems ever before...do you just not show up or what?? Tell me your secret
I don't remember if I took one with dd or not. I birthed there with her as well. If I *did* then i'll tell them that with 2 previous pregnancies with no GD, no risk factors, healthy weight and (now) I am pretty much looking exactly like before unnecessary testing isn't something i would like and i'm decling. (first I'll just say "no thanks" and see if they take it). if i didn't have a test with dd then i'll point out that a.) i've not done the test before and am fine and b.) obviously didn't get gd.

i feel like i'm an idiot for resisting it b/c i know i will pass just fine but it's more about me being in control of things which i mentioned at my first appt. "i am healing from an out of control relationship with abuse and i will not be run over especially now". except for the u/s and hearing the heartbeat i totally could be UP except i know a good repitoire and consistent "boring" visits helps me in the long run since i can't afford HB and don't have enough help for UC.

User Tag List